IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: what other games do you play?

Postby IBBoard at 12 Sep 2008, 12:24

Beautiful? I prefer the look of the PS3 to the XBox 360 :D About the only games that consoles do well are driving games. FPS are terrible when you've not got a keyboard and mouse for that level of supreme control (if you're more skilled than I am!)

I've not heard of "Another World" or "Flashback". What era are they from? Fallout was apparently quite good, and Fallout 3 does look interesting, but I think I'd rather play Oblivion (or the next Elder Scrolls, whenever they release it!)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

t1983
2nd Year Cadet
2nd Year Cadet
Progress to next rank:

50%

Postby t1983 at 12 Sep 2008, 13:05

flash back and another world were mid 90s games that i had on the amiga.
They did re-release another world last year i think for the PC, so you could probably pick it up cheap somewhere. i highly recomend it.
As for the PS 3 being better then the 360 i dont think i can agree with you there.
I have both consoles but i only use the PS if i want to use the internet quickly and cant be bothered to load my laptop. I dont know why i bought it to be honest because there are hardly any good games on that system and the good games that they do have they have on the xbox with more content.
I just thought of some other classics from why back when. Did anyone play the Dizzy games? I had them on the C64 and have downloaded off the net recently and still enjoy them. Though of course the graphics are dodgy and later dizzy games had a very high 'cheese' factor.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 13 Sep 2008, 14:07

I never had an Amiga - we went from an Amstrad to a PC - which partly explains why I hadn't heard of the games. I did play the Dizzy games on the Amstrad, though. Definitely more puzzling than most modern games, and since the interest was in the puzzle then they didn't lose out for having poor graphics.

We had a PS2, but we only ever had about three games for it (the wife first bought it for the EyeToy Kinetic) and PC gaming is better and cheaper (£50 per game? That's extortionate!) so we've not bothered with any of the consoles. Out of all the latest gen ones then the wife would be most interested in a Wii if we got any, and I probably agree.

There are a few people at work who like their 360s, but I've never liked it. Looking at screenshot comparisons then I'd rather play a PS3 version as it seems more realistic. The 360 shots just generally look either more pixelated, over exposed (so they have less shading) or both. Looking at the list of Xbox 360 exclusives I can see one that might interest me (Fable 2). Looking at the PS3 exclusives I see Haze, Heavenly Sword, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet (for being innovative), Motorstorm and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, all of which have caught my eye while watching Playr on Bravo. It also means you get a Bluray player instead of HD-DVD ;)
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Sanguinius
4th Year Cadet
4th Year Cadet
Progress to next rank:

65%

Postby Sanguinius at 14 Sep 2008, 11:41

its been a while since i havn't posted for sure. i got spore yesterday! its totally wicked! i think its only 25 pounds or 50 $.
my youtube account is rapidfire544.
i try to post often but school is stopping me. =P

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 14 Sep 2008, 17:07

Full retail price for Spore is £40, but Amazon and Play sell it for £27. Whatever the price is for a game in the US then don't use the exchange rate - subtract about 20% and replace $ with £ and you might be a bit closer (or add 20% and swap £ for $ depending on which way you go)

Bap
Skavenslave
Skavenslave
Progress to next rank:

27%

Postby Bap at 17 Sep 2008, 14:46

Succumb to temptation of buying Spore it works on Laptop fine! Addictive and fun but not too far into yet to give it a good review!

stfas
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Progress to next rank:

85%

Postby stfas at 17 Sep 2008, 19:53

well the space phase sucks in two ways, eco disasters and pirates.

t1983
2nd Year Cadet
2nd Year Cadet
Progress to next rank:

50%

Postby t1983 at 17 Sep 2008, 20:39

I haven't seen to much about spore, infact I hadn't even heard about it until i read about it here.
I have liked what little I have seen. Would you recomend the game? And apart from the space phase 'sucking' are there any other problems or major let downs that you have noticed?
Also going back to a previous post, two other classic games from days gone by are mega-lo-mania and the awesome cannon fodder.
Does anyone know of any good sites to download these games and others from the golden age of gaming? I can find most of the games but they are either a poor system version, e.g. cannon fodder mega drive version as opposed to the superior amiga version, or they are from websites that require a subscription.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 18 Sep 2008, 20:13

Downloading games like Cannon Fodder is legally dubious in many countries, so no links please. They're generally called "abandonware" because the companies don't make them available any more. They're also sufficiently old and demand is small enough that the companies wouldn't find it profitable to re-release them (and they don't want to host downloads). Despite that they're still copyrighted and so it is strictly still software piracy/copyright infringement to download them.

One review I've been told about (I'll have to dig it out again) said it was an interesting concept but not a great game. I think the concept of the huge scope is interesting, but quite how well and engagingly they can pull it off is another matter. That said it is the guys behind the Sims franchise, so they could have done well.

Radulykan
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

16%

Postby Radulykan at 24 Sep 2008, 19:45

I am a pc gamer first and foremost,I own a PS3,I purchased it for MGS-4 I am a Metal Gear Solid fanatic 8) ,I also own a X360,I like it also,It was purchased to own and play COD-4 Another amazing fps 8), Before I built my new machine,I enjoy it far better on my pc as it looks and plays much bettter on my pc than the 360, ,After I ponied up and built myself a gaming machine,Out of them all I love my pc the most,For the capability of being able too mod my games to my own personal preferences,Too me the ES-Oblivion experience is enjoyed best on my pc,I also enjoy Crysis,And of course running all of the Dawn Of War games with all settings set too high,Fullres teamcolor and enjoying an average of 60 fps even with massive battles on screen with specularity and 1680 by 1050 native res on my 22 inch monitor,Later guys and have a good one :D .
Outlaw guns and the only ones who will be armed are the outlaws,Criminals will be armed regardless of more silly gun laws,"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ"

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 25 Sep 2008, 19:43

Now you're just showing off :P Although an XBox360 and a PS3 just to get one game on each? That's a rather expensive game!

I don't think my next computer will be a gaming rig. I got an X800 about three years ago when it was towards the top end, but I'm using it less and less. Most of my work has swung towards software development and I don't have the time/money to game as much. On the plus side, it makes my next purchases a lot cheaper!

Radulykan
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

16%

Postby Radulykan at 26 Sep 2008, 17:40

I also have become a Spore convert,It is a thouroughly enjoyable game experience 8) ,I saved up money for monthes to build the pc I have know too be able too enjoy it,Crysis,Crysis Warhead,ES-Oblivion and other stuff that I play at their max settings,Later guys and have a good one :D .
Outlaw guns and the only ones who will be armed are the outlaws,Criminals will be armed regardless of more silly gun laws,"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ"

MariusLecter
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

14%

Postby MariusLecter at 27 Sep 2008, 00:44

PC games for me, it's my two younger brothers and cousin who have a PS2, PS3, Xbox and Xbox360. Gonna list off the games I think are worth mentioning I have on my pc and add comment if I can.

F.E.A.R. (My love for this game and expacs knows no bounds, I prefer FEAR multi over CoD4 even)
F.E.A.R.:Extraction Point
F.E.A.R.:Persues Mandate
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (Im still running around murdering bandits and looting their stuff)
Counter-Strike Source (Fun with friends)
Dawn of War (Winter Assault, Dark Crusade and Soul Storm)
Unreal Tournament (Classic and nostalgic :D)
Unreal Tournament 3 (Best Menu theme imo)
Call of Duty 1,2,3 and 4 (Fear my silenced Mini-Uzi)
Soldier of Fortune
Soldier of Fortune: Double Helix
Soldier of Fortune: Pay Back
Doom
Doom 2
Final Doom
Doom 64
World of Warcraft (Server: Dark Iron, Main: Teufulhund)

That's all I got.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 27 Sep 2008, 07:37

More of an FPS guy, then? ;) We've got a fair few games on the shelf (including a lot of older "white label"-type games, because they have the game quality even if they don't have the graphics) but about the only series we have are DoW and the wife's Sims 2 plus expansion packs!

Previous