PLEASE HELP

Mask

PLEASE HELP

Postby Mask at 04 Apr 2008, 04:40

HI there how can i download the things here I have never heard of the format they are in please help
Mask

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: PLEASE HELP

Postby IBBoard at 04 Apr 2008, 06:10

What are you trying to download? Where are you downloading them from? (We've got two websites) What is the format? And have you tried Google to find out what opens the files?

The most obvious one I can think of that people might encounter that they haven't heard of is .rar, for which there are a number of extractors.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Mask

Postby Mask at 04 Apr 2008, 17:34

it was from this site http://www.hiveworldterra.co.uk/Downloa ... 0ADFs.html
Format ADF tried searching google as well :shock:
Cheers Mask

stfas
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Progress to next rank:

85%

Postby stfas at 04 Apr 2008, 17:44

if i know right so are .ADF files read by Adobe Reader

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 04 Apr 2008, 19:06

Actually, those ADF files are text files in the same format as Windows INI files. To 'read' them as text (in a format that is easy for the computer to understand) you can just use Notepad or any similar app.

To use them properly you need the Rollcall application (hence the category being under the Rollcall category, which contains a download of the Rollcall app).

Also note that they are just sufficient data to build armies, they are not replacements for the army book as that is a breach of copyright and GW Legal have already forced us to severely cut back the detail we include in the files.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Mask

Postby Mask at 05 Apr 2008, 00:17

Thanks they wernt as detailed as i hoed do you have somewhere they e more understanble & more detailed???? as im trying to just start in 40k & waant to no wha army to try without buying all the codexs as that would make me falt broke lol
Cheers Mask

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 05 Apr 2008, 08:07

As I said, we can't make them more detailed because that would be IP/Copyright infringement and GW's Legal department have already made us cut the files back beyond the level of detail that I would consider reasonable so that they deem them legal.

If you're looking for an overview of the races then I'd recommend looking at the W40K section of the GW website. There are articles on all of the races and they should give you an idea of how they play.

Once you've got an impression from the background then you can either ask about specific races in Main Games or talk to your local Games Workshop staff members (although they might be inclined to try and sell you stuff and look at the "I'm spending huge sums of money" army).

Mask

Postby Mask at 05 Apr 2008, 19:50

Thanks for the link wish i had a local games workshop im in new zealand & on the wrong halve of it

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 06 Apr 2008, 07:44

Is there not even a reasonably independent hobby store that stocks GW? If there isn't a real GW close by then there can sometimes be a hobby store that is almost like a GW in that it runs games and things, rather than just being a model shop with it on the shelves.

The other alternative would be GW Mail Order. If you narrow it down to a couple of alternatives then you can call them up and have a chat to them about it. It always used to be something GW mentioned in the MO section of White Dwarf was that their 'Trolls' can answer questions about what to buy as well as just placing orders.