IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Temporary set-back and unavailability

Postby IBBoard at 04 Mar 2008, 21:30

Recently (about the past ten days) I've been having problems with accessing a certain file on my disk causing the whole computer to hang. With some help from a few members of the Fedora community then I've managed to track the problem down - one of my disks thinks it has 24 hours of life left and the other has so many low-level errors that it's unreal.

Luckily my largest hard disk is only two and a half years old, so it is still under warranty (because I made my computer from components). That means I just need to ship it to Seagate in the Netherlands (their closest point) and I'll get a replacement.

In the mean-time running a 'Live' operating system from a DVD, so I still have Net access but no decent permanent storage (other than the backup I took to an external drive that I'd rather keep as-is until I restore). That means I won't be doing any development work in the near future, and I probably won't be able to install Soulstorm at the weekend if TheHut.com manage to get it shipped out on its release.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: Temporary set-back and unavailability

Postby IBBoard at 05 Mar 2008, 18:58

Okay, maybe I'll be back in action by the weekend. I decided to splash out and replace what would be my secondary disk as well so that I had a separate disk to put backups on that isn't being used all the time (and so should hopefully be less likely to fail).

eBuyer should be delivering the disk on Friday, so I'll be able to do a rebuild and then move everything to the replacement disk from Seagate whenever they manage to ship it back to me.

Or at least that's the plan. That still means there won't be any WarFoundry development before the weekend or any Soulstorm textures before its release (which I'd been hoping to do).
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: Temporary set-back and unavailability

Postby IBBoard at 08 Mar 2008, 09:47

All is good - I have what will be my replacement secondary disk and the machine is now rebuilt.

Work can now resume, although I won't be able to work on Soulstorm yet as the place I ordered it from actually delivers in 3-5 days (Royal Mail second class, I assume) and so it hasn't arrived yet.