IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

When not to go out...

Postby IBBoard at 21 Jul 2007, 08:50

I don't know how many people are from the UK, or have seen anything on the news (my fiancee's family are in America and they caught it on the BBC channel that they get - BBC World Service?), but Hereford and Worcester areas are currently somewhat flooded.

I left work last night at 4pm and all of the roads out of Malvern were blocked by flood water. We tried several alternative routes, but it was all only passable in a 4x4, if at all. We ended up sleeping in the car in a supermarket car park!

By 6am the rain had been slowed to a drizzle for about six hours, so we thought it might have eased off and some of the water receded. No such luck! We got a lift from a lorry driver through one patch, but a 4x4 was stupid enough to try to go the other way at the same time and flooded his engine. We waded out of that and someone gave us a lift for about another six or eight miles until we came to another impassible bit. We then got out and started walking, waded through water up to mid-thigh height and a nurse had just pulled up on the other side as we got through. There was no way he was getting through, so we got a lift back to Hereford from him (which is a bit drier) and finally arrived home, somewhat soggy, at about 8:30am!

So, if the weather is like this
then don't expect to get anywhere unless you're willing to hitch-hike and wade ;)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

stfas
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Progress to next rank:

85%

Re: When not to go out...

Postby stfas at 21 Jul 2007, 09:26

sorry to hear that ibboard, it must have been boring (thats if of course)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: When not to go out...

Postby IBBoard at 21 Jul 2007, 13:39

A bit, but probably just more annoying that there wasn't a single way out of the town I work in that got you anywhere. Anywhere you could get to in the way of neighbouring towns was normally cut of from all other angles anyway.

I'm not so keen on having had to leave my car on the verge until Monday, but I guess it was the only way.

On the plus side I'd picked up my fiancee from work, so I wasn't on my own. She was a little less tolerant of being stranded than I was, though :D
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)