IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Playing the WA campaign

Postby IBBoard at 04 Jan 2007, 21:21

I've now got round to playing the WA campaign, and despite people's complaints about the balance of the game I think the campaign is better that the original DoW one :) The switching between factions and collaborative story line works quite well.

The only problem I've had so far is that it took me several attempts to end mission two successfully :D I kept getting SCAR (scripting) errors because I've extracted files and they were overriding the WA files so the Bloodthirster couldn't synch-kill with his Marine. Boy am I glad for auto-saving!

Now to see how many more Guardsmen I can kill...erm, accidentally lose while valiantly fighting the forces of Chaos :D
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

SisterHelios
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

15%

RE: Playing the WA campaign

Postby SisterHelios at 06 Jan 2007, 03:36

You are so bad,picking on the poor and helpless Guardsmen,not their fault they aren't Imperial Space Marines.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 06 Jan 2007, 09:46

If they give me Space Marines then I'll fight with Space Marines. All I've got to work with is some American General (who doesn't sound right) and his Guardsmen :D Oh, and the Xenos Eldar scum (which I don't think the General has identified by the end of the 2nd mission)
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 08 Jan 2007, 05:50

No Space Marine worth his salt would ever work along side Xenos scum.

Purge the Alien :twisted:
"No Pity! No Remorse! No Beer!"

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 08 Jan 2007, 18:41

They might do - in one of the later missions of DoW (the one where there's a circular Chaos base in the middle of the map, I think) there's some Eldar on the map and they are your allies ;) It's probably actually just so they don't attack you, and you aren't forced to fight with them, but you certainly fight along side them (and someone with better tactics and micro than me could possibly even make use of them :D)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 21 Jan 2007, 17:44

Seems like the Guard will quite happily work alongside the Eldar. I've just finished Mission 3 (barely - I just about survived until reinforcements due to the fact that I was running the Captain away from everything, and I only had a handful of troops and the Baneblade at the very end of the mission!

It certainly seems more challenging than the original DoW campaign :)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: Playing the WA campaign

Postby IBBoard at 22 Dec 2007, 16:20

Wow, long time no play. Since it is now Christmas and I get to take a break from work I decided to play a little more of the Winter Assault campaign.

I've finally finished the fourth mission for the Good alliance! I think the only way I managed it was with the player switching. Guard getting overrun? Switch to Eldar, let the troops get cut down while the buildings are left intact. Start getting overrun as Eldar so switch back to Guard and rebuild (which with a squad cap of 10, no vehicles and no ability to build new unit producing buildings is quite difficult).

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: Playing the WA campaign

Postby IBBoard at 30 Dec 2007, 12:34

Finally finished the Good campaign in Winter Assault!

The final mission is quite interesting, although it took me a few attempts after getting overrun. It didn't help that it was only on my final play through that I realised I had to control the Titan's guns! Much easier to destroy those damned Monoliths that way than trying to wander the Baneblade around everywhere while your men get cut to shreds.

Now, should I play the Evil side of the campaign or try and 'finish' DC before Soulstorm comes out in Spring? Decisions, decisions.