IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Nearly finished Dawn of War!

Postby IBBoard at 30 Dec 2006, 21:41

Yes, the game's been out over two years and now has two expansion packs, but I've about finished Dawn of War :D All I have to do now is mission eleven, then I can move on to the Winter Assault campaign!

I think I'm a bit conservative at times, which doesn't help. I don't mean I supported Maggie Thatcher (although that wouldn't have helped either!) but I end up standing on strat points waiting to build up an army, only to get the odd trooper killed and some strat point elsewhere stolen from me.

If I try running in before I've amassed a huge army (three Tacticals with HB plus a few Missile and Plasma, two Assault, two Termis maxed out with assault cannons, five Dreadnoughts, and a Land Raider and a Predator defending my Relic!) then I end up killing an odd squad or two but not making much of a dent before the squad is killed or some other location is under attack and they need to be pulled back.

I can imagine this last mission's going to be a large scale blood-fest! Whenever I get round to playing it, that is...
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

RE: Nearly finished Dawn of War!

Postby MadMaffMan at 30 Dec 2006, 23:17

That sounds a little like me, i never got further than half way in both the original DoW and WA campaigns. Just never seemed to hold my attention. I have finished the DC meta campaign though, my Neccies crushed all before them whist in the background their master listened to Radiohead, seemed to fit them some how. :wink:

Hope you and yours have a Happy New Years. :D
"No Pity! No Remorse! No Beer!"

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 31 Dec 2006, 11:14

I think I've played one mission of WA so far (maybe two - I remember something about Guardsmen and being jumped in a snowy scene by Banshees and Dark Reapers, so it wasn't DoW) but it's not really it not keeping my interest, its me doing other things (wandering forums, coding, doing screenshots, spending time with the fiancee, procrastinating and thinking I don't have the time for a game) or taking too long about the battle because of the "if I build up I get attacked while I build, and if I don't build up then I get beaten and forced back" problem :D

The DC campaign does sound interesting, when I get round to it!

On the plus side, at least I'm finishing this on Normal rather than being a complete wimp and playing on Easy :D
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 02 Jan 2007, 17:44

Now I really have finished it :) Interesting end, although a bit of a shame they didn't carry it on any further.

Only took me about 45 minutes and I killed the Daemon Prince with my first attack (after I got half way through it and remembered I had the Termis ready to deep strike!) Commander Angelos died after I let him out of his unit, but it was only because I wanted him to beat up the Daemon Prince and it was still not weakened enough. Never mind, he came back for the credits :D

Now to work on WA...