Dawn Of War expansion preview

caelien
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

46%

Postby caelien at 20 Jun 2006, 11:21

If anyone has got the july issue of PC Gamer in the UK, you'll have found an interesting clip on the disc. Only a sneak preview of the new DOW expansion pack. The clip shows new units, including Flayed Ones for the Necrons and Kroot for the Tau. Also in the clip are the specialcharacters The Nightbringer and Commander Shadowsun. The Space Marine chapter shown are the Blood Ravens, but whether they'll still be in it at the end, I'm afraid I don't know

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: Dawn Of War expansion preview

Postby IBBoard at 20 Jun 2006, 11:53

Is it definitely Shadowsun? Relic have always been banned from using named special characters before now so that they don't mess up GW's story lines or have a special character fighting themselves! One of the game websites (possibly IGN) said 'he' when referring to the Commander, but then I never trust their info until it's from somewhere more official :D

The Nightbringer is a bit of an exception to the 'no named characters' rule, since he's a little more like a Daemon (i.e. a representation rather than the whole thing)

I'll have to post links to the existing game vids in the near future (although I'm going to be going to a job interview down south shortly, so it could be a couple of days)

I get the feeling that clip will be an exclusive, which is a bit of a shame.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Kokuten

Postby Kokuten at 20 Jun 2006, 17:46

I had figured since in the first expansion, that the new Dawn of War race would be the main race for the new storyline. Though I do like the fact of the Marines being back in the main picture.

fneep

Postby fneep at 21 Jun 2006, 03:59

Interesting....that sounds exactly the same as the trailer but you never know.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 22 Jun 2006, 12:57

Which trailer? I know of three trailers so far, which are part of a series of ten. Each of them is showing little bits of each of the new races/features.

As for the new race, they're almost certainly going to be the focus of the new mission storyline, although it's all about taking over a planet in the order you want not (kinda like a map-based WH campaign) so I'm not sure whether the 'storyline' will be quite as storyline-ish as in previous games.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

fneep

Postby fneep at 23 Jun 2006, 01:06

caelien
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

46%

Postby caelien at 23 Jun 2006, 09:04

I can't say for sure whether it is Shadowsun, or whether Relic are using her as the template for their Commander, but it was definitely the white Battlesuit and twin fusion guns associated with the heroine of the Third Expansion. I'll try and get some screenshots so you all can see for yourselves

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 23 Jun 2006, 09:07

Four are now available at IGN, three of them age restricted. They're not the high-res ones that Tranj promised, but they're good enough. IGN's pics page doesn't seem to have screenies of the battle suit, though.

TBH, I think it's almost certain that the battle suit won't be Shadowsun. After all of the previous "no special characters" rule following, it just wouldn't make sense.

Now, time to go and download and save that fourth movie :)

[edit] That one on DoW files looks like the first one on IGN, from the comments people have made.

[edit2] According to some info that Adonis has retrieved from CLR of Relic (a Dev and Relic Forum member) the Nightbringer isn't the Nightbringer, it's an "Essence of Nightbringer" power. A bit like essence of vanilla, it's not the real thing, just part of it :D That means they're keeping within the 'no special characters' again, and so the white suit is even less likely to be Shadowsun :)

fneep

Postby fneep at 24 Jun 2006, 04:22

It was said on IGN that the tau commander is NOT Shadowsun.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 24 Jun 2006, 09:36

Yeah, I never trust IGN though, they've got things wrong in the past :D I can't remember specifics, but I definitely remember people on the Relic forums going "hang on, that isn't right!"

caelien
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

46%

Postby caelien at 03 Jul 2006, 11:15

As I stated before, the Tau character shown in the clip may have just used the image of Shadowsun as a skin so it may not be Shadowsun per se (which, lets face it, is very likely)

Plus, I read in PC Gamer that the Nightbringer may be an upgrade/ ability for the Necron Lord, kinda like the Bloodthirster possessing a Chaos character

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 03 Jul 2006, 11:46

Yeah, I've read that as well - a two minute 'ability' that turns the Necron Lord into a manifestation of part of the essence of the Nightbringer. It's a good way to do it really, as it means it won't overpower things. The way I'm looking at it, you trade off a Lord with the power to raise all of the wounded Necrons for two minutes of uber-being that can defeat all sorts!

caelien
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

46%

Postby caelien at 03 Jul 2006, 13:04

OK, if anyone wants to see the video clip I saw, go to http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... ?id=141011

This is the website for the magazine I got the clip from. See for yourself what all the fuss is about

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 03 Jul 2006, 13:15

Ah, good, they've got it online :) Although it looks rather similar to what I remember the first clip on IGN being from the little snippet in the side panel :D I'll check it out more when I get home (Wednesday night/Thursday)