Who prefers SM to Imperial Guard in DoW?

Who prefers Space Marines to The Guard in DoW?

Space Marines
50%
Guard
25%
Like them both
25%

Total votes : 4

Space marine

Who prefers SM to Imperial Guard in DoW?

Postby Space marine at 12 Apr 2006, 16:10

Well?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: Who prefers SM to Imperial Guard in DoW?

Postby IBBoard at 12 Apr 2006, 17:50

Not very much of a debate - you can't debate whether someone likes them or not ;)

As for the poll itself, I've not played WA enough to know the Guard, so I won't vote yet. If you can make this a debate, I'll leave it here. Otherwise, this gets moved to Sideline games.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Space marine

Postby Space marine at 12 Apr 2006, 18:02

Actually, could you move it.
Sorry, I just read a debate, then came up with the idea, before going to the sideline games section, I'd pressed new topic, so it appeared in debate, instead of the right area.
My stupidity prevails once more! :oops:

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 12 Apr 2006, 18:32

At least the 'New Topic' buttons are working now - I broke them and had them hidden the other day and didn't realise for a while!

Moved.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

SisterHelios
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby SisterHelios at 19 Jul 2006, 21:38

I like them both since tecnically one backs up the other,that can be shown in DoW if a Marines play can protect a guard player and then the marine Spear head the attack with the Guards Armour right behind them for heavy and I mean Heavy Support.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 20 Jul 2006, 07:28

Showing how little I've played, isn't (or perhaps "wasn't") one of the complaints about the Guard that they were over powered in tier 1? Wouldn't have thought they'd need protecting much if they were :D But yeah, the general idea works - send in the heavily armoured men with the heavily armoured tanks as support! It'd take the majority of small arms fire quite a while to kill anything.

As for the original question, I don't know if I've played WA at all since then. I run it to mod it or test things, but I don't seem to game much :D

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

Postby Simguinus at 20 Jul 2006, 08:19

It depends entirely on what mood I'm in. Sometimes, you just want to be able to churn out hordes of unquestioningly loyal servants of the Imperium, armed only with a torch with 'lasgun' written down the side and a T-shirt with 'Armour' printed on the front. The Guard's voices are amusing for the duration of a fight, and having a Vindicare assassin is always fun.

At other times, you just want to play with the 'real deal' - no fake armour for Legiones Astartes.... :D

I like the Guard armour (military terminology here, rather than flak jackets). It's just a shame that the game limits you to only 3 Basilisks, and the vehicle cap means youcan't field a full company of Leman Russ tanks. Kasrkin Squads are also cool - although I've no idea why they're called Kasrkin and not Stormtroopers - possibly because George objected? :roll:
The Guard make (nay, demand) a more combined arms approach to DoW tactics - with the Marines you can just turn out tac squads and the odd Dreadnought and still be in with a good run at victory. And once you've got Terminators, there's not a lot of point building anything else :) . The Guard infantry have to be supported by armour or artillery and Commisars and a Command Squad are vital, rather than just decorative.
Ego Ordinis Mallei Inquisitor, per auctoritate Digamma, Decimatio, Duodecies, ultimum exterminatum planetae [insert here] cum extrema celeritate impero.

(roughly; 'I, Ordo Malleus Inquisitor, hereby authorise Death, Destruction, Doom, the total extermination of the planet "blah" with the most extreme and imperative speed.')

In a galaxy of a million worlds, what does the death of one matter?

Simguinus, Chief Historitor

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/catalog/p ... e_id=66353

SisterHelios
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby SisterHelios at 22 Jul 2006, 01:57

Well the Imperial Guard amry featured are the Cadian's and the Kasrkin Squads are their most Elite men and women of Cadia,totally and utterly loyal to Cadia and the Emperor. So calling them Storm Troopers might be just an Insault lol

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 22 Jul 2006, 10:43

Kasrkin are effectively just the Cadian Stormtroopers though, from what I understood. Stormtroopers are better trained and better equipped elite Guardsmen, Kasrkin are better trained and better equipped elite Cadian Guardsmen. It would have made more sense to call them Stormtroopers, especially since that's more generic and doesn't tie it down to Cadia so much (despite the fact they're all 'generic Cadians' anyway!)

caelien
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

46%

Postby caelien at 29 Jul 2006, 09:16

Pah! Space Marines? Imperial Guard? The Lapdogs of the False Emperor pale in insignifigance to the servants of the Dark Gods! Let The Galaxy Burn!

(so to answer your question, space marines take the gold by 1/100s of a second, closely followed by the guard (love the baneblade, though))