Chaos vs. Space Marines

Space marine

Chaos vs. Space Marines

Postby Space marine at 07 Apr 2006, 11:22

I'm interested to know how many people prefer Chaos :twisted: to Space Marines :lol: when playing the Dawn of War game.
Do you find that one has a better strength value, or they have better troops choices, or do you simply like the colours or the voice clips?
Last edited by Space marine on 07 Apr 2006, 18:46, edited 2 times in total.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: Chaos vs. Space Marines

Postby IBBoard at 07 Apr 2006, 11:25

Not sure why Space Marines get a laughing smilie, but never mind!

It might be an idea to give some context. Is it do you prefer them as:

a) an army to battle with in TT
b) a Dawn of War race
c) the general background
d) the models/artwork

Also, moving to Main Games, since it's a general GW discussion. I'll move it to Sideline Games later if it's a DoW discussion.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Space marine

Postby Space marine at 07 Apr 2006, 15:57

IBBoard wrote:Not sure why Space Marines get a laughing smilie, but never mind!

It might be an idea to give some context. Is it do you prefer them as:

a) an army to battle with in TT
b) a Dawn of War race
c) the general background
d) the models/artwork

Also, moving to Main Games, since it's a general GW discussion. I'll move it to Sideline Games later if it's a DoW discussion.

Thanks for telling me that.
P.s. What is TT? Is it table top?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 07 Apr 2006, 18:25

Yeah, TT is the normal abbreviation for Table Top.

So, what's the context?
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Space marine

Postby Space marine at 07 Apr 2006, 18:46

I made it more specific to the dawn of war game

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 07 Apr 2006, 19:09

Ah, didn't notice the change in the first post. I assumed you'd left it as-is when you'd posted a new post and not mentioned it.

Personally I prefer Space Marines in DoW. I've never really played as Chaos much, and the slave thing just gets on my nerves too much. Some of the graphics are great, but I'd rather have the loyalists :)

Well, actually, I tend to have more fun with the Orks, but they're not an option and they require more learning.

Moving to sideline games, since it's DoW.

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

Postby Simguinus at 08 Apr 2006, 08:10

Hmmm. I'd say that I generally have more success with SMs over CSMs....whether I like SMs more I'm not sure.

Unlike IBBoard, I don't find the heretic that annoying. I do like that CSMs can have squads with up to 10 marines, - handy against Orks :), but find that only heavy bolters is limiting as a weapons choice. Beserk Charge isn't all that great as a researchable ability. Cultists are handy as early-grab-strategic-point troops, and have more potential than scouts. Infiltration for all is quite nice, too.

I have to say the thing that disappointed me most about DoW Chaos was the daemons. Although the Bloodthirster is quite a nice model, I wanted to be able to choose my major power - and that the only daemons I can get with the summoning circle are flamers of Tzeentch is just paf. Hopefully this will be addressed in a future upgrade.
I don't know if its just me, but do (mental block :? ) those daemon-possessed war machines(i'll get it in a second... AHH! Defilers! that's 'em... :) ), do Defilers actually function as artillery? The game alleges that they do, but I never seem to be able to get them to do so. Which is a major mark against them in my book. Gotta love those Whirlwinds...and Basilisks...and Prism Cannons.... :D

I'd have to say I wasn't that impressed with the Possessed either. There's not enough variation.

So, on balance, I prefer SMs over Chaos in DoW. At least until a few things are fixed.
Ego Ordinis Mallei Inquisitor, per auctoritate Digamma, Decimatio, Duodecies, ultimum exterminatum planetae [insert here] cum extrema celeritate impero.

(roughly; 'I, Ordo Malleus Inquisitor, hereby authorise Death, Destruction, Doom, the total extermination of the planet "blah" with the most extreme and imperative speed.')

In a galaxy of a million worlds, what does the death of one matter?

Simguinus, Chief Historitor

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/catalog/p ... e_id=66353

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 08 Apr 2006, 08:16

The heavy weapons thing was a change in the 1.4 patch, IIRC, the same as they removed some of the Ork options. Chosing from Gods would be interesting, and should be possible if you handle it right, but I think it'd end up too difficult to balance for Relic to do it. It'd be like adding three new races (four if you want an Undivided as well).

As for Defilers, I think they work as artillery, but I'm not sure. The gun on the front is certainly right for artillery, and it does throw people around from what I remember. I could be wrong, though.

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

Postby Simguinus at 08 Apr 2006, 08:24

The Defilers have certainly been used by DoW itself as artillery - in one of the Campaign mission in WA. But I've never managed to get them to function that way in skirmish / multi games. They seem to charge forward and smite with their claws, which whilst undeniably effective, isn't always what you want.

Fundamentally, I prefer the wider range of tactical options offered me by SMs. Chaos tends to towards charging in blindly, which whilst characterful, is often ineffectual.
Ego Ordinis Mallei Inquisitor, per auctoritate Digamma, Decimatio, Duodecies, ultimum exterminatum planetae [insert here] cum extrema celeritate impero.

(roughly; 'I, Ordo Malleus Inquisitor, hereby authorise Death, Destruction, Doom, the total extermination of the planet "blah" with the most extreme and imperative speed.')

Space marine

Postby Space marine at 08 Apr 2006, 10:30

If u set Defilers to range stance, then put them to hold ground stance, they should stay where they are and fire the battlecannon

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

Postby Simguinus at 08 Apr 2006, 11:46

Well, that answers that question. Although this seems massively over-complicated just to use an inherent ability, and I feel bears out what I said about Chaos earlier.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 08 Apr 2006, 13:05

Yeah, it possibly is a little complex, but when you've got a Chaotic thing that can shoot or rend, it's going to choose rending unless you tell it otherwise ;)

I have to agree on the tactical options point, though. The variety of Marine weapons and units is always a bonus - especially when it's fairly obvious what each one is and does.

Space marine

Postby Space marine at 08 Apr 2006, 17:01

Yeah, It's obvious what Marine weapons do- KICK CHAOS ASS :D

Space marine

Postby Space marine at 09 Apr 2006, 16:35

BTW, the cultists over scouts thing is quite true about DoW, but in WA, if you arm the scouts with 2 sniper rifles + 2 flamers, then you have the capability to shoot 4 before the close combat ensues, and when it does, the scouts will use the flamers to break the cultist and they will run, flee, but there is no where to hide, you cannot shrink from the emperor's light! MWU-HA-HA-HAAA! :twisted: :twisted:

---Cough--- Sorry :oops: