Warhammer 40,000 : Dawn Of War

Logan_Grimnar

RE: Warhammer 40,000 : Dawn Of War

Postby Logan_Grimnar at 27 Jun 2004, 20:33

What does everybody think of the new 40k pc game Dawn Of War? (out Sept 2004). Looks absoloutely amazing to me. Looks like a definite investment as soon as i get my new laptop. If you havent seen em, check out the screenshots here:

http://www.thq.co.uk/games/product/Warhamm...ProdPlatform=pc

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 27 Jun 2004, 21:26

The shots you emailed me looked great. Not entirely sure about the one where the Marine is doing some kind of kick on the Ork, but the look and feel is definately there. Now if only they would make it for Linux! (somehow I get the feeling they won't)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 28 Jun 2004, 22:17

I'm gonna have to see if I can find a demo of it. The engine looks like the Total War series (shogun etc)

Possibly look at purchasing Fire Warrior as well ;) *thinks*

;) <-- thats well not a winking smilie, its thinking, it just lacks eybrows is all

Logan_Grimnar

Postby Logan_Grimnar at 29 Jun 2004, 13:17

Yeah i want Firewarrior too. Looks pretty cool, especially online. I think you can get it for about £15 for the PC (pre-owned), but i want it for the PS2 and its at least £25. I know its not a huge amount of money, but what with saving for my holiday and laptop, i need all the money i can get!!

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 15 Jul 2004, 15:17

Firewarrior apparently doesnt run on linux/mac so I had to rule it out as a present, sorry bro.

There is mention of the Total War engine on some message boards and it does look similar. Theres alot of excitement in the community cos Relic are renowned for making games that you can customise with maps/mods. Have heard rumors of custom chapters/colour schemes/banners knocking around

*crosses fingers* - heres hoping

Anny

Postby Anny at 18 Jul 2004, 14:54

Looks like a damn great game....Can't wait for it :D

I played Fire Warrior for PS2...Rented it from a friend. Its pretty good, lots of detail went in and is quite realistic. Storyline is good...Won't ruin the ending for you though...but it is quite unexpected :D :D :D

Although it is quite easy to complete, still a great game.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 24 Jul 2004, 14:57

Most games won't run on Linux without major tweaking/work in Wine!
But I suppose it could be a total war engine - hopefully tweaked and improved from the ones I've seen though, the interaction wasn't that great when they first got into combat.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 22 Aug 2004, 11:31

If anyone else has access to Sky One, THQ have got Dawn of War as the 'padding advert' that shows at the start and end of each break for Star Trek. Some of the clips and moves look quite spectacular for a RTS game!

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 22 Aug 2004, 14:43

Just seen another advert - other than the ones where the Land Raider gets flipped by a Chaos Dreadnought, Marines flying through the air in a spin after being hit by an ork and where the Marine Captain is running along with a huge Thunder Hammer (I assume) there is also one where the Captain with the big hammer is sat on a Bloodthirster's back, beating it over the head with the hammer! :D

And now the end ad break advert came up - a nice long one showing most of the races, a group of tanks cresting a hill, a squad of Chaos Space Marines doing volley fire and their sergeants face yelling orders and even a Squiggoth demolising troops! And that isn't even half of that long advert! The game is looking really cool - must get a new CD drive so I can install XP on my desktop PC.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 14 Sep 2004, 21:54

The demo is out now - I've downloaded it, just got to install new graphics drivers (still running on Windows defaults) and install the game and hope it works :)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 21 Sep 2004, 07:49

OK, demo installed, now to wait for the g/f to go back to Manchester so that I can play it without ignoring her while she's staying :)

*drools in anticipation at the graphics*

Unfortunately the modding/skinning stuff won't be released by Relic until post-game release :\ no playing with the graphics in the demo then :(