snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Re: Apocalypse

Postby snowblizz at 25 Oct 2010, 12:21

Make sure they have equal points...

Seriously though, try to have equal sized teams, (numbers of participants). 2 guys move 15k worth a lot slower than 5 guys do.
If people deploy their armies "en masse" it helps a lot. Ie all in one place. Having the players form an infantry brigade, a mixed armour-brigade etc, even though making sense slows the game down. This way people can simultaneously play, one player shooting at one player who makes saves and stuff. It makes it bit more like x vs y games, but cuts down on the dead time waiting for player 4 to come in and roll 3 dice for one unit way over on the other side of the table. Also having each player do all their stuff cuts down on the umming and ahing trying to figure out the "optimal" way of picking who to shoot and where. This is for regular games not Apocalypse. Less chance of forgetting stuff as well.

Also one side shouldn't have many more superheavys than the other. I've seen it turn rather one-sided when one side has lots of 7-10" templates and the other really doesn't have an answer.

And bring a swatting-stick for people spending more than 5 minutes for every single action they take. This isn't a tournament game after all and the number of models should render "optimal" moot. The time I've seen people waste be trying to be clever when it won't matter past the next template is ludicrous.

saphire krakens
4th Year Cadet
4th Year Cadet
Progress to next rank:

95%

Postby saphire krakens at 25 Oct 2010, 21:15

If i give you the details can you create the teams or give me recommendations

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 26 Oct 2010, 09:01

I like the idea of the swat stick :D

Specifics of teams shouldn't matter too much, as long as they're roughly balanced. If people are willing to share their army (e.g. one guy has twice as many points, but is willing to bring it all for others to use) then all the better.

Which races are on which side can be a bit trickier, but that's up to the organiser to come up with back-story. GW have had official campaigns when they've had all sorts of weird and wonderful pairings because they made up some weird scenario.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Postby snowblizz at 26 Oct 2010, 09:17

IBBoard wrote:I like the idea of the swat stick :D

Solves so many problems. I'm thinking of introducing it in the tournament we organize, people are sooo wasting time during deployment.

IBBoard wrote:Specifics of teams shouldn't matter too much, as long as they're roughly balanced. If people are willing to share their army (e.g. one guy has twice as many points, but is willing to bring it all for others to use) then all the better.

Exactly. Equal in the big picture should be good enough.
First step is to make sure neither team has (many) more superheavys and Apocalypse formations than the other. Then I'd make sure that both sides have some stuff in each category: closecombat and shooting, infantry, tanks.

IBBoard wrote:Which races are on which side can be a bit trickier, but that's up to the organiser to come up with back-story. GW have had official campaigns when they've had all sorts of weird and wonderful pairings because they made up some weird scenario.

Not really to be honest. "Chaos did it" solves so much. I invented a Chaos Lord with "valued" (duped) Ork allies and his side-kick sorceror who had managed to corrupt some Tyranids (maybe it was some chaos device blocking out the Hivemind) and taken over command of them.