IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Skins@HWT unlikely to support DoW2

Postby IBBoard at 07 Feb 2009, 11:52

As it currently stands, it is looking unlikely that Skins@HiveWorldTerra or a successor website will support Dawn of War 2. As previously mentioned, it looked like Dawn of War 2 would not officially support modding, but later discussions have hinted that Dawn of War 2 won't support custom badges/banners, which has apparently been confirmed.

The reason (which is not given in the answer in the What we know about DoW2 thread) appears to be that THQ/Microsoft told Relic not to include it because people got upset with some banners (possibly including banners depicting genitals).

As long as this lack of badges/banners stands there will be two impacts:

1) (least importantly) I won't bother upgrading my machine and buying Dawn of War 2
2) (more importantly) Skins@HWT will have nothing to host and so will remain open with only DoW1 content

So, unless we can learn how to hack in additional content in a way that works with online games (since 'collectors editions' come with additional chapters and paint colours) the original Dawn of War will probably be the focus of myself and many other people for the foreseeable future.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: Skins@HWT unlikely to support DoW2

Postby IBBoard at 07 Apr 2009, 17:46

For those who haven't been watching the Skins@HWT news page, we're now supporting DoW2 downloads.

Despite initial impressions and my comments in the previous post, it appears the community has managed to get some modifications in to the game in terms of badges and some textures. We've now got downloads sections to host the content, and we're just waiting for submissions. There are two "badge mods" in the pipeline, and hopefully we'll sort everything out with their authors soon.

All modifications will still be user-side only (i.e. Microsoft's gaming system prohibits and won't transfer custom content for 'liability reasons') but textures were only ever user-side in the original Dawn of War anyway.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)