IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Games Workshop obviously don't hate Fire Warrior

Postby IBBoard at 13 Jan 2008, 19:40

I've just been skimming the Black Library website for freebies and found their novel cover desktops. The desktop in the bottom-right of the page is for Fire Warrior*.

Now, I own Fire Warrior the game (although I've never played more than the intro section!) but that's mainly because it is a GW game and I picked it up for 99p. Tranj of THQ (a company rep on the RelicNews forums) would rather forget about the game. GW, on the other hand, obviously think it is worthy of a desktop even though they haven't done anything with Fire Warrior other than a tie-in novel that was released at the same time.

I really should try playing Fire Warrior at some point to see if it was as bad as people seem to say it was.

*Apologies if there are lots of adverts on this page, but I'm running AdBlock Plus so I don't see them.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

caelien
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

46%

Re: Games Workshop obviously don't hate Fire Warrior

Postby caelien at 16 Feb 2008, 22:16

I enjoyed Fire Warrior. I'm not a massive gamer, and shoot-em-ups aren't my forte, but i managed to get to the end of it (although i never was able to beat the final boss). And don't forget the game brought us the "one shot- one kill" rail rifle! (BAM!!! Another one bites the big one!!!)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 17 Feb 2008, 08:55

the "one shot- one kill" rail rifle

Thank goodness Tau rail rifles aren't really like that!

One month on and I've not even installed it yet. I did dig through a load of old installers I had in a general tidy up recently, though, and I found one for GorkaMorka. While the idea had potential, it never saw the light of day beyond a demo. Considering how Fire Warrior actually got published I'm hoping it is a bit better than that!
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

DanTay25
3rd Year Cadet
3rd Year Cadet
Progress to next rank:

47%

Postby DanTay25 at 29 May 2009, 09:12

I finished it, and now it refuses to run. :(

I think I must have tried about ten times to defeat the Obliterator in the Khorne room. There's absolutely no cover! Eventually, I was the one who went Khornate, butchering him with my knife while being so close that he couldn't aim at me...

Final boss wasn't too hard though.

EDIT: Oops, didn't see how old this thread was... necromancy ahoy! :(
"I tell you, men, they couldn't hit a bull at this dist-" Last words of General John Sedgewick

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 29 May 2009, 17:59

It's okay, we're a bit short on new threads around here :) As long as you're contributing something worth-while then it isn't too bad to bump something old.

You don't happen to have upgraded to Vista in the mean time, do you? Or maybe one of the XP service packs broke it if you're still on XP. I'm successfully running Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat from 1995 in a Windows XP VM and other than stopping my install because it didn't know about XP and so thought it was an old Windows it seems to run fine.

One of these days I'll get round to installing and playing it :D

NBKFuzzy
Standard Member
Standard Member
Progress to next rank:

68%

Postby NBKFuzzy at 29 May 2009, 22:16

Ick, Fire Warrior. Its a good idea, until you fight the Nazi Imperial Guard with M16's as their weapons, not Lasrifles.
My muse is a fickle bitch, with a short attention span.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 30 May 2009, 12:06

Nazi Guard? I'm guessing that's more of an impression than actual imagery!

Lasrifles probably can do shorter bursts, and some of the newer Guard artwork does show yellow muzzle flashes, but I take it they just have standard machine-gun-like muzzle flashes and flying ammunition (if they show that much detail!)

NBKFuzzy
Standard Member
Standard Member
Progress to next rank:

68%

Postby NBKFuzzy at 30 May 2009, 23:49

No, they LOOK like M16's. They ARE M16's. Just not called so. And they look more like super-nazi ripoffs than Imperial Guardsmen.

This game was extremely linear and as a proud gamer, I was saddened to see THIS as the example of a warhammer 40,000 fps. I hope the newer action game soon to be released, Space Marine, can deliver.
My muse is a fickle bitch, with a short attention span.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 31 May 2009, 07:48

They do look somewhat like M16s don't they! Did Games Workshop just give it to some cheap dev studio and not care too much about the output or something? :D