IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Dark Crusade campaign - &%$& psykers

Postby IBBoard at 01 Jan 2008, 11:58

Having played through the good side of the WA campaign I decided to do a bit of less linear destruction with the Dark Crusade campaign. I'm currently on campaign turn seven and am already cursing the Guard and their psykers with that damned "Witness your DOOM!".

I'm fielding Space Marines, for goodness sake. They shouldn't be that scared by some little human yelling like that, and they gladly welcome their death in the service of the Emperor as long as they aren't losing their life cheaply.

The first couple of campaign attempts I did months (or more) ago headed off towards the Eldar and along the top of the world. Recently, though, I've headed down and taken out the outer Guard territories. Having just won the territory that gets you a second attack with "Frenzy" I took out the adjoining Chaos territory, but when their defensive rating was only 1 I didn't expect quite so many Defilers!

Now, if only I could defeat these Guardsmen who keep trying to take their territory back. Curse the fact that they are actually two AI players!
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

stfas
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Progress to next rank:

85%

Re: Dark Crusade campaign - &%$& psykers

Postby stfas at 01 Jan 2008, 16:17

try taking their HQ, it makes so that they can't attack you anymore, try taking every special power if you have problems with them. personaly i would take frenzy and forward base plus the men spawn on beginning thing. i have beaten guard by first building a base and spawning tacticals to protect me under the time i build, killed the commisar for fifth company turning the men of the fifth company against the other guards. getting an relic is also good, build an land raider then, and build your army up! also try to have everything upgraded and extra troops ready for launch through the drop pod building to be ready, have every commander built, and then you should be able of winning! and for chaos, if a commander is in territory next to the one you are in it can send help to that territory, also its going to be hellish on the HQ! (wow longest post from me so far)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 01 Jan 2008, 16:59

Paragraphs are your friend ;)

Finally managed to beat the Guard when they attacked my territory. All it took was one unit of each type of Terminator, lots of Tactical squads and as many Dreadnoughts as I could lay my hands on, and a Land Raider!

After finding out where there base was I ignored the huge bank of Guardsmen, Leman Russes, the Baneblade and everything else and just ploughed on to their command building. Huzzah! The second one (damn them for having two) was finally destroyed).

I can't say I have problems with being rushed, just problems with building up a large army and then it getting shot to pieces when facing the Guard because the damned psykers keep spooking everyone.

I considered taking out the Guard HQ territory, but it is a 10 and I think I'm only rated at about 5. I do have Frenzy and bonus Requisition, but that's it other than units (1st Tactical, 1st Assault and Senior Librarian).

In the map (in this article) I've got the original base, the two marked "5" and "10" below it, the one the Guard is stood in, the Frenzy location below it and the one below that one that the Tau is stood in. It does mean the Guard as stuck with a single home territory at the moment, but I guess I might be able to defeat them completely in the next couple of turns!
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 06 Jan 2008, 18:40

Bwahahah! Those pesky humans are no more! If only I wasn't playing Space Marines so that'd be more fitting :D

I don't know if it is just the way I play but it seems like the story-based missions (like special areas and the Guard HQ) are a bit easier than the straight-out "destroy their HQ" fights.

It took me a while to complete the mission because I stopped to repair my army of Dreadnoughts and rebuild the units to be fully manned and fully armed after each forward base, but I got there in the end. I'm also glad I had the sense to send my two Land Speeders (damn them for making Dreadnoughts cost 3 and having a vehicle cap of 20 not 21!) across the trench that the Titan gun was pointing down!

stfas
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Progress to next rank:

85%

Postby stfas at 07 Jan 2008, 17:13

its not really easier on special missions, for example the chaos hq won't end it forces untill the gate there is destroyed (spoiler?)

personally i found the chaos hq the hardest of all those maps

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 07 Jan 2008, 21:57

Well I seem to find it easier on scripted maps (be it HQ or special areas) :) Except the Necrons - I tried attacking them and got swamped too much too early.

I just wiped out the Chaos HQ on the first go (after at least an hour and a half of game stacking up large amounts of troops and Dreadnoughts). Before that they had the little island next to the peninsula and it took me at least three or four attempts before I got past the hordes of Defilers that I couldn't destroy quick enough.

That's now two races defeated, and I own all of the eastern side of the map (down to the peninsula and the walled territory between the Necron and Chaos HQ territories) :)