IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Alternatives for the ninth Dawn of War race

Postby IBBoard at 29 Sep 2007, 15:49

As further discussion for the third expansion pack announcement (named Soulstorm), I think we need to consider what the ninth race could be. We already know that the eighth will be the Dark Eldar, but as with DC then the other race is remaining under wraps for now.

Firstly, I'll point out that at least one of the Relic devs and Tranj, the THQ Rep, have previously stated that the DoW game engine can't do the Nids justice and hence GW won't let Relic put them in and Relic/THQ don't want to put them in if they can't do them well enough. While that doesn't rule them out completely I think it puts their chances of appearing as somewhat similar to that of the Squats.

Other possible races are:

• Witch Hunters (with Sisters of Battle)
  • Daemonhunters
  • Tyranids
  • Squats

Personally, I think I'd rather see Witch Hunters out of all of those. It would fit quite well with the Soulstorm name as well, what with the Ecclesiastical nature of the SoBs. With the Throne of Judgement, Arco Flagellants, Penitent Engine and Preachers then I think they've got enough stylistic character to stand on their own and be different to everything we have already.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

stfas
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Progress to next rank:

85%

RE: Alternatives for the ninth Dawn of War race

Postby stfas at 29 Sep 2007, 18:07

we dont know yet, they might aswell just come up an race that have gotten permission from gw, though that wouldent happen and arent squats dead?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 30 Sep 2007, 09:04

Yes, Squats were eaten by the Tyranids (IIRC) some time before 3rd Edition was released. Or at least that's what GW came up with so that they could get rid of the "stereotyped 'Space Dwarves'". The reason I included them is because 1) without them the list is even shorter and 2) I said the Nids are probably about as likely as them.

As for Relic creating a new race, I think it's less likely than the Squats. Unless GW already has an additional race in the pipeline for TT then DoW is TT on the PC and so won't be allowed to go beyond the existing structure of the game.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 27 Oct 2007, 08:28

Okay, so they're not calling the race the name I would have expected, but a month after the first announcement then it has been revealed who the second race are: Sisters of Battle.

There isn't an official press release that I can find (I guess it's not important enough to release to anyone but fans, where as a new game is something that investors might want to know about) but Gamespot can't do an interview and come up with images that aren't real.

Looking at the TT units I think it's probably going to be a Witch Hunters army, possibly without the Inquisitors.

Prepare for a fiery death!

X6x7x8
2nd Year Cadet
2nd Year Cadet
Progress to next rank:

80%

Re: Alternatives for the ninth Dawn of War race

Postby X6x7x8 at 27 Oct 2007, 10:15

they r dark eldar and the hunters(female) i think......

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 27 Oct 2007, 21:28

If you read the post above, that's what I just said ;)

me wrote:Okay, so they're not calling the race the name I would have expected, but a month after the first announcement then it has been revealed who the second race are: Sisters of Battle.

My comment at the end about "probably being Witch Hunters" was because the Table Top game doesn't have "Sisters of Battle" as a distinct army. They used to be in 3rd Edition, but in 4th Edition they've expanded the race slightly and become the Witch Hunters. The announcement is calling the race the Sisters of Battle, though, so I was guessing it might be Witch Hunters but without Inquisitors.

X6x7x8
2nd Year Cadet
2nd Year Cadet
Progress to next rank:

80%

Postby X6x7x8 at 08 Nov 2007, 06:38

Is there any proof of Dark Eldar in the new game yet?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 08 Nov 2007, 12:36

You mean other than the mention in the Investor Relations announcement from THQ and the screenshots on Buggo's blog in the Skins@HWT news article I linked to? (Buggo is Relic's community relations person) There are also a couple of videos - one for each race - lying around on some of the gaming sites.

The ones with less official announcement are currently the Sisters of Battle, since they've only had announcements (that I've seen) on unofficial sources. There have been screenshots and videos, though, so it's fairly safe to say they're both now confirmed races.

caelien
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

46%

Postby caelien at 25 Nov 2007, 01:21

If you are signed on to the THQ website then you can find videos for the Dark Eldar Archon and the Sisters Of Battle canoness

I suppose that confirms the Sisters in the game, then

stfas
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Progress to next rank:

85%

Postby stfas at 25 Nov 2007, 10:48

you can see it other ways... Heres A Link

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 26 Nov 2007, 18:56

I think I got my videos from IGN or Gamespot, although I'm not sure. Looks like GameTrailers.com have a few more though, unless they're just splicing and duplicating.

As for Sisters of Battle, looking at my original list of possibilities then there aren't too many realistic alternatives to the two they selected.