Criti
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

6%

Roll Call Fantasy ADF question

Postby Criti at 25 Apr 2007, 23:25

Hey all,

I've just recently discovered RollCall, and I'm trying to set up a High Elf ADF for my own personal use. I follow the instructions for ADF creation, and every time I try to open the file, RollCall yells at me and tells me I've got improper data input for UnitStat on Unit1... but I can't see what the problem is. This is all I've input so far:

[High Elves]
Name=High Elves
BitCodeID=1

[Category]
1=Lords,0,100
2=Heroes,0,100
3=Core,0,100
4=Special,0,100
5=Rare,0,100

[Unit1]
UnitID=1
Name=High Elf Prince
Category=1
MinimumSize=1
MaximumSize=1
UnitStat=Prince,5,7,6,4,3,3,8,4,10
Save=7
TroopCost=125
SpecialTextA=Intrigue at Court

Does anyone know why it'd be telling me the UnitStat is input incorrectly?

- Criti

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: Roll Call Fantasy ADF question

Postby IBBoard at 26 Apr 2007, 07:19

Hmmmm, strange. The stats look like they should be valid, so I don't know why it might be complaining off the top of my head. Unfortunately I'm busy with future in-laws and a family friend's wedding until the end of the weekend so all I can do is drop by the forums while I'm at work.

Until I manage to get a chance to look at it properly, what happens if you take the original High Elf ADF (or any other ADF) and copy the stat line from one of those? It may not be entirely correct, but if it works then it'll be something to work from and it'll give me more of a definite point to look into (because sometimes I've had Rollcall complain about one thing and mean a different line - it's all to do with the file reading)

Also, can you post the exact error message?
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Criti
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

6%

Postby Criti at 26 Apr 2007, 20:43

Tried copying a statline from a working ADF - did nothing to help.

Exact error message is:

Improperly formatted data for 'UnitStat' in file near Unit1

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 27 Apr 2007, 07:26

Do existing ADF files work? If they do then I've sometimes found that either the line before or after might be causing the error and Rollcall just can't report it properly.

Unfortunately that's about all I can help with until Monday evening, or Sunday night at a push (if we get home early and I get a chance). I will investigate more if needs be once I can get on my own computer, though :)
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 30 Apr 2007, 17:40

I've finally got a chance to test the file and interestingly the copy of Rollcall 6.1 that I have installed fails to even list the High Elves, never mind error on them (although I suspect that means it's silently failing). More info as I find it.

[edit] Same result with Rollcall 6.0 - no output and no error messages. Next step in recreation: trying to open an army that uses the race.

[edit2] Nope, I now get "No ADF found for this file" when I try to load a race that should use the snippet you posted as an ADF file. I'll dig into the code itself, but if you have any information as to how you recreated the issue then it would be greatly appreciated.

[edit3] I found the problem through debugging the code, although I still have no idea how to recreate it by just running the application.

Using v6.1 all I did was swapped the "[High Elves]" at the top of the file for "[Army]" so that it matches the other files and the example at the end of the manual and it all worked fine :)

Criti
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

6%

Postby Criti at 03 May 2007, 15:52

That worked. Thanks a lot.

- Criti

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 04 May 2007, 07:14

No problem, but keep an eye out for WarFoundry ;) I've got next week off as leave so hopefully I'll be able to make some good developments on it.

Zantor
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

4%

Re: Roll Call Fantasy ADF question

Postby Zantor at 03 Jul 2007, 22:50

Hey Criti, I just found Rollcall and need a bit of help. I'm playing the High Elf army and I can't afford Army Builder. :D I downloaded Rollcall but I can't figure out how to create another ADF file for the High Elf army. If possible could you create the High Elf file or teach me how to do it?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 04 Jul 2007, 17:38

You might be better off emailing or PMing him, as not everyone watches topics and so he might not know there's a reply.

It may not be 100% applicable in all of its assumptions, and it won't validate your army (which is partially through lack of update to the application and partly because that's what GW Legal get upset about) but the Warhammer ADF Manual should give you the information you need on the file content. Once you've got that and an army book, all you need is a text editor like Notepad and you're ready to go.

Zantor
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

4%

Re: Roll Call Fantasy ADF question

Postby Zantor at 05 Jul 2007, 12:49

Cool, thanks.