Orc and Goblin (minus the goblins) army list

Cheezo
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

34%

Orc and Goblin (minus the goblins) army list

Postby Cheezo at 03 Apr 2007, 07:48

Hi, I was kinda needing some advice on what to choose next for my army list. I don't have my army book with me atm (HERETIC! :D ) but i can rattle of my list.
Orc Warboss
Goblin Shaman
Orc Big Boss
24 Big 'Uns; spears&shields
20 Orcs; twin choppas
20 Orcs; twin choppas
*reserved for new Black Orc box set release*
Rock Lobber
Spear Chukka x2
Doom Diver
Giant(?)

So, what do you people think?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: Orc and Goblin (minus the goblins) army list

Postby IBBoard at 03 Apr 2007, 14:36

Been a while since I played WH, but TGSC might be able to help more.

The most obvious things I can see is that you've got a Goblin Shaman as your only magic user. Although Waaagh! magic was always too unstable to put too much faith in then I'd have thought that a bit more power in him might be useful game-wise.

Other than that it looks like you're missing something to soften up the enemy a bit before you get to them. Some Arrer Boyz may be useful (if not the greatest shots) or a unit of Goblins with bows (who are about as bad a shot as an Orc, but cheaper for it!)

One question, though: Approximately how many points is the army? Don't give exact points as GW Legal get upset, just a general approximation/total.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Cheezo
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

34%

Postby Cheezo at 03 Apr 2007, 18:47

oh darn, i forgot i DO have arrer boyz...14 of em...sorry i mustve forgot to put 'em up. :lol:

around 1300 - 1500 points total i think, im going for 2000 points

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 04 Apr 2007, 06:49

2000? So that gives you 3+ Core, up to four Special and up to two Rare, plus a Lord and four Hero slots (totaling four heroes).

Filling out your heroes with a second Goblin Shaman (possibly making them both level 2) would give you a bit more protection and attack in the Magic phase. With dispel dice relying on the number of wizards (rather than being given cards based on the total number of wizards on the board as it was in 5th Edition) having two Shamen can only help when you're facing magic-wielding opponents. Unless their head explodes and takes someone with them, but that's just Orcs and Goblins! They're cheaper than an Orc Big Boss as well.

A Giant would definitely pad out your points value, as well as looking impressive and giving the enemy something to worry about. Even with my old High Elf army about the only thing that could reasonably cope with him would have been my three Repeater Bolt Throwers (this was under 5th Edition with a 25% war machines limit), and then I'd probably have been firing S4 bolts to make sure I hit rather than risking my poor dice rolls on single S5 shots :D

Goblins with bows wouldn't fill out your points too much, but a couple of big units would give lots of shots, a unit that takes a while to panic, and some good protection for your Orcs (the same as Grots in 40K, who are just there as cannon fodder). Some wolf riders might also work well as harassment and to bulk out your Goblin side.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Cheezo
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

34%

Postby Cheezo at 04 Apr 2007, 16:37

:) Thanks for the help, i'll see about ordering some Common or Night Goblins sometime.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 04 Apr 2007, 18:09

No problem, I just hope they are as useful in your army as I think they could be :D