IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Sculpted banners - good or bad?

Postby IBBoard at 12 Mar 2007, 17:29

I was just reading this month's White Dwarf (I'm a little behind on it again) and the Dark Angels are being re-released. Included in the re-release are some old character models including Grand Master Azrael and Chief Librarian Ezekiel. The sculptors for both are listed as "Jes Goodwin and Seb Perbet".

Now considering these are older models, and I've heard of Jes but not Seb, I can only assume that they've decided to add things to the old models. The most obvious change is the back banner - both models now have sculpted back banners.

The general idea of semi-sculpted banners I don't mind (like the Goblin regiment) but sculpting on entire detail like banner iconography seems a little too much. I guess it might be easier for most people to paint, but I'd rather go for a moulded banner without the sculpting rather than yet another identi-kit component.

What do other people thing? And does your painting skill affect your decision? Personally, I'm not a great artist, especially when it comes to working without guidance, but I don't like the extent of the guidance.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)