IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Rollcall replacement app - naming help needed

Postby IBBoard at 05 Mar 2007, 20:48

It's been ten months since I last posted in my Rollcall updates thread, and to be honest I don't think I'll be working directly on it again.

The language it was programmed in was horrible, the coding was quite restricted to the original Warhammer methodology, some of the new features were botching in around the existing file structure, and I'm doing more work in Linux now (which luckily doesn't have Visual Basic 6 support).

I've got a week off for the first week of April, plus another week in May and one at the end of June* so I'll have lots of time to just sit down and hack at programs. My big idea at the moment is a Rollcall/Army Builder replacement app written in C# and compatible with Linux and Mac OS X through Mono. I'll also be making it my first open source app, although I'll leave the release until I've got a reasonable base built for people to build on.

The other main point of the app will be that it's going to be as game agnostic as I can make it, meaning I won't be forced to cripple various bits of it by GW Legal. I still won't be able to distribute fully detailed army files, but other people can add detail to their own copies of files and I can't stop them as it'd impact on other game systems.

So, the most important question at the moment is what to call it? Army Builder is taken, and I can't really Rollcall as it isn't my app. So far I've come up with "Army Lister" and "Army Rosteriser", neither of which is great.

* My holiday year at work runs July to June and I had 18 of my 23 days left in January because I only started in late August and had been on a three month probation period until the end of November, so I hadn't been taking holiday.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: Rollcall replacement app - naming help needed

Postby IBBoard at 05 Apr 2007, 20:06

I still need help with this. I was just about to start some initial coding (I've had the week off but I've procrastinated and done some model painting rather than coding, mostly)

As well as "Army Lister" and "Rosteriser", all I can come up with is eRoster (as it's an electronic version of a normal roster). Army Builder is already taken, so I can't call it "Army Builder .Net" or anything, GW aren't very helpful for inspiration as their list CDs are called "Interactive army lists", and I can't come up with anything along the lines of Rollcall.

Any ideas for app names?

[edit] A quick look at synonyms and I've got:

• Army Lister
  • Rosteriser
  • eRoster
  • Army Ledger
  • eMuster (although that may already be used by some attendance app or something)

Still nothing obviously impressive :\

[edit2] Some more suggestions from the people on Warvault's Albion chat room:

• Army Creator
  • Fodder Generator
  • "something with 'drafting' or 'recruiting' "
  • Army Recruiter
  • Army Designer
  • Army Planner
  • Army Founder
  • Army Foundry
  • Army Composer
  • Army Maker

Thanks mainly to Hyarion for his input :)
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: Rollcall replacement app - naming help needed

Postby IBBoard at 06 Apr 2007, 10:18

Talking to TGSC on MSN last night we came up with a couple more:

• WarFoundry
  • BattleFoundry

The "Army ..." got the thumbs down from TGSC for not being punchy and interesting enough, so I'm running with "WarFoundry" at the moment (complete with word composition and mixed case ;) )