Battle Tactics for Warhammer

moregil

Battle Tactics for Warhammer

Postby moregil at 26 Oct 2006, 12:31

Hi All

So I am new to the boards, but not new to the system of Warhammer, one could say well seasoned with tarnish on it.

What I enjoy most about WH is the way it makes one think about deployment and actual tactics - so I was wondering where most get their insperation from...me I return to history and some other systems. Match up to army type and then go ahead and see what works.

Of course no matter how well a well laid battle plan is thought out, it still falls down to the random dice rolls, even then this can be favourably placed in one's favour.

So what inspires you on the the field of Glory, which armies do you play and why? Just let me know as I like to have a natter about such things and swap ideas.

Me. I have a standing army of High Elves, cavalry based for impact and speed, backed by firepower - started a small Empire force and a small Chaos Warband for choice later

moregil

RE: Battle Tactics for Warhammer

Postby moregil at 26 Oct 2006, 13:44

Well you all seem a shy lot :shock: so I will start the ball rolling: I call this the first wave impact

Take one army preferably either Empire, Bretonian or High Elves (Works very well with High Elves). Base points 1500pts. Take three characters, two must be mages one can be acharacter or a Army Standard, have one small core unit and one rare choice, the rest points out on cavalry. Have the mages on foot, the third character on horse.

The objective of this is to get as much heavy cavalry you can for the most poinst cost effectiveness....

So taht on initial set up you make a long line of cavalry from one edge to the other. Obviously you may not get from board to board edge...but you certainly can get a decent line.

High Elves are much better at this from experience as they have the most versatile use of magic in spells and banners.

So you have you nice long line - let say High Elf Silver helms. Banner (25pts max), Champion and Muscian mixed in - One Commander to Army Standard....so how to get across the board with out being massacred...

Options rely on magic here - Shadows and Life. If you want to be really nasty take three mages ( but this is getting expensive and looses some fire power out of the rank). Shadows gives unseen lurker....so taking shadows twice (Yep Seer gift on each mage).....

Then add the Ellyrion Banner in (gets rid of uneven ground)

If you ahve the army standard then add either Battle Banner or Banner of Balance (this kills those frenzied units)

So you now have a potential charge from 14" to a massive 30",

Combat is worked on the percent. The enemy already out numbers you, has three ranks, banner etc base in their favour 5 (6 with war banner).

Now the charge is aimed at one unit but becuase of the long line it will hit several regardless. Always aim for shooting units first - these are the weak link in any army. When you hit one of these you are bound to hit several ground units. The advantage here is taht you will cause massive casualties Average chanes to hit is 3-4 D6 so a sizable cavalry charge will have out of 20 figures will hit on average 9-10 (not inc Horses here). So this will normall happen on the shooty unit - no reprisals from them an more likely the unit will almost be wiped out. Horse may add another two casualties - end result is that you may take one or two but the combat swings in your favour and has a high probablity of breaking a large part of the enemy force with in one turn.

The firepower is provied by 10 archers and 2 repeater bolt throwers, these can rake any serious threats to the cavalry charge and enemy war machines

It is putting all the eggs in one basket, and can end distasterously if it fails. But it is spectacular either way 'Into the Valley of Death.....' Love it

Of course this doesn't take in consideration the oddities out there, but I have used this method on numerous occasions against undead Tomb Kings and Vampire Counts, Empire, Chaos, Dark Elves, Lizardmen and Bretonians - I have varied successes - but the only real army I fail against was the Bretonians.

Yet to try against skaven -

So come on what is your favourite tactic.....

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 26 Oct 2006, 17:39

Shy lot? You gave people an hour and a half :D The forum's really old now, and fairly quiet, so you need to give at least a day! Hopefully I'll be able to find some time in the near future to improve things.

As for tactics, I can't really comment. Last time I played WH was 5th Edition(!) so I'm not exactly remembering it much :D I did used to play High Elves though (started from the 4th Edition boxed set). My preference was towards blocks of archers and spearmen, but I generally had what I liked the look of (so a chariot, a couple of bolt throwers, a small unit of Silver Helms and Dragon Princes, some Sword Masters and in the end some White Lions as well).

If I went back to Warhammer now I think I'd go for Orcs and Goblins. I collect Orks for 40K (I would say 'play', but I've not played for nearly a year now) and I just love the manic-ness and lack of concern. Keep the tactics basic, collect a large number of boyz, yell Waaaggghh! and charge across the battlefield, aiming at whatever's squishiest or whatever's going to hurt you most (that you can take out). It probably wouldn't result in so many wins, but it'd be fun and in-keeping with their character :)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

moregil

Postby moregil at 27 Oct 2006, 07:53

Hehehehe....yep you all shy :-) (hahahaha)

Hmmm seen Orcs & Goblin Armies played, many grumble about the 'Lack of punch' they have...sheesh has any one seena mass Boar Boyz charge - think what I ahve seen is players trying to play tactically with loads of goblins back by small core Orcs. Gives mass of numbers but fails on leadership etc.....leaving the real fighers in small numbers.

I did sucggest once to a aplayer who lost regularly about reshaping his army. He asked how...so I suggested instead of taking straight orc archers, change them to savage orc archers - that way they won't flee in panic, small tinkering such as not taking chariot for the Boss (to big a target) etc. End result he squigged a High ELf player big time (kind of feld guilty considering). But then he lined up against me and ended up as green paste on the battle field. I did explain that he had a well balanced force and it will work normally. But against cavalry forces foot troops will become squigged. I think I left him with the suggestion of buy Boar Boyz, a sizable force of about 20 (shudder)......

Orcs & Goblins I find a re the meat and bone of any fantasy opponent, good always to test out against as they have many strengths and weaknesses. Might set up an expeditionary force.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 27 Oct 2006, 12:44

Yeah, a Boss's place isn't alone on a chariot, he should be in the middle of it all. I wouldn't be so sure of savage orc arrer boyz, though - considering the orcy balistic skill (now reduced in 7th Ed to 40K levels, I think) I'd rather not spend the additional points to give them frenzy and tattoos.

Hopefully the new list should give the Orks the punch they need - the more fighty stat line, the choppa rules and the power of the waaagghhh should certainly help!

Also, something I was going to do earlier: Moving to Main Games as this is more of a Warhammer discussion than an intro/newbie thread :)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

moregil

Postby moregil at 27 Oct 2006, 13:02

Okay then,

Agreed with the Orc and Chariot situ - infact I hate having any leader on a beastie or on chariot which marks himout ' Hey look big Target here people' of course I do have a couple of leader types for my High Elves - one on Dragon the other on Griffon both are sooooooo rarely used as I tend to do battles up to 1500 to 1999.

Savage Orc Archers are very good troops for their cost regardless - even if the BS is lowered. It is the simple fact they don't run away from being pounded to pieces by enemy fire. And in a stitch they act as a great support unit to some harder nutters such as Black Orcs.

As to High Elven ground troops, I find the archers are really not worth their points nor Lothern Sea Guard. But field these as filler units instead. My main stay are Dragon Princes and Silver Helms, Spearmen are good for the mass ranks, but again fragile troops (T3) and high cost makes them something of second choice for me.

Guess what I compensate for in average toughness is high armour value. I view High Elves as a higher price 'Empire' Army. Thus to get pound to pound push Cavalry is the best way to go. Admittingly the repeater bolt thrower is one of the ebst direct fire weapons in the game - but ab it pricey for one (100pts) -

Hmmm Catapults I think would be a good idea for all armies for siege purposes really, unless they have another method of bring those walls down - such as cannons etc. Can't see a successful assault from a chaos army against a fortified keep with enough fire power to ruin a rainy day, being that successful. Then I guess I have to play a siege game to see how it works......

Has any one used the Pin and Wheel manuevre against an opponent. Never done this myself directly. But gave good advice to a dwarf player on how it operates. Just wondering if any one else has used historical manuevres in WH battles... me as one may guess, like frontal assault by cavalry. But that is not the only trick I have in my basket (hehehehehehe)

Bait and lure
Right or Left Refuse
Clam
Surge
Centre Pin
Sweep from rear.

All favourites