IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

New Big Mek and Oiler

Postby IBBoard at 29 May 2006, 18:08

Along side the Kommandos, GW have released a new Big Mek and Grot Oiler model.

The Oiler is quite good and seems to be keeping the old 40K idea of specially bred Squigs. I'm not sure who they have making the Goblinoid models now, though, because both the Oiler and the recent Warhammer Night Goblin Fanatics don't quite look right to me :\

The one that really caught my eye, though, was the Ork Big Mek. He looks great with his whirrlygigs for the Kustom Forcefield Generator, but £9? :shock: I remember when champions were £3, heroes and lords were £4-5 and a large or mounted model was £5-6! I was thinking of getting him cos he looked great, but I think £9 is a bit much, even if I can get him discount somewhere :D
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

RE: New Big Mek and Oiler

Postby TGSC at 29 May 2006, 18:25

TBH, what with inflation and the new ork characters being mounted on 40mm rounds, they're like the size of trolls now, £9 isn't as bad as it could be, but I still refuse to pay that much for a metal figure. He looks cool tho :D

I'm not so keen on the new fanatics or this dude either, they look to serious :( The orks do as well, but not in a bad way so much.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 29 May 2006, 19:38

I don't know about him being too serious, I think he looks quite good stylistically. Some of the models have lost the 'right' look (like the Kommando's I posted the preview link to in another thread) but I think the Mek has the right look of Orky technology and a bit of experience. I'd rather have the newer modeled faces over the old plastic Orcs (the ones that came in WHQ)

As for the fanatics and the grot, I think someone's just changing the face shapes and they don't quite look right. The nose on the Oiler is too small for one thing from the looks of it - it should be pointier.

Oh well, I've got my box of WH Goblins, so I'm set for reasonable looking Grots in case they change the style :)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 29 May 2006, 23:19

Yeah, looking at it, he does look right. Thinking about it, although they've changed a bit from crazy to goofy to serious, I don't think they look any less serious than the old lot, with the fanatics/goblins/grots, the old new fanatics were just enough crazy, and the gobbo regiments were mostly sneaky looking buggers. I didn't really mean I preferred them when they were less serious, I just preferred the old new ones to these new new ones.