Submissions to Encyclopedia Thread

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

RE: Submissions to Encyclopedia Thread

Postby Simguinus at 01 May 2006, 19:26

The Column of Glory pretty much justifies itself as a location - due to the vast hall surrounding it.

And I can't see any problem with anything else...
curse you Simguinus, getting to my words first I've added a tiny bit more to the description, mentioning what the weapons are.

:P
Ego Ordinis Mallei Inquisitor, per auctoritate Digamma, Decimatio, Duodecies, ultimum exterminatum planetae [insert here] cum extrema celeritate impero.

(roughly; 'I, Ordo Malleus Inquisitor, hereby authorise Death, Destruction, Doom, the total extermination of the planet "blah" with the most extreme and imperative speed.')

In a galaxy of a million worlds, what does the death of one matter?

Simguinus, Chief Historitor

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/catalog/p ... e_id=66353

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 01 May 2006, 19:52

At some point I'm going to update the module a little, add a separate "what is it here for?" bit and a "what submissions do you want?" and some other bits.

My original idea for the Encyclopedia came from writing my little short story, Insperatus Nex. I decided it'd be great for the FanFiction writers to have some archive of terms, characters, locations and equipment that they could use and draw reference from. Following that idea, it might be good if the definitions could contain listings of inspiration and real-world references as well as being a look from the fluff's perspective. To try to explain that, take a Brettonian city, describe the city from the background and then say that it was based on the 14th century French city of .....

Also, if you can give some feedback on the Suggestion of Encyclopedia improvement thread, it'd be great :) same goes for TGSC and anyone else who reads this.

[edit] I've now added the submissions you put in last night (and fixed a couple of typos). Now to go and put in that news article that I never put in about my Inquisitor submissions!
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

Postby Simguinus at 02 May 2006, 19:32

Cursed typos. That's what happens when you stick definitions in off the cuff while flicking through the book at the same time.... :)

If you're looking for real-world references, I can happily supply a bunch of them too *reaches for Brewers*. Ian Watson's stuff is replete with classical / Shakespearean refs - Captain Holofernest for example. And also Googol - the name is that of the witch-woman in H. Rider Haggard's 'King Solomon's Mines.' The Bretonnian cities are little more tricky - as they are a bit 'generic' and tend to be drawn from an impression of the period rather than specific real-world sources, but I'll do my best. :)
Ego Ordinis Mallei Inquisitor, per auctoritate Digamma, Decimatio, Duodecies, ultimum exterminatum planetae [insert here] cum extrema celeritate impero.

(roughly; 'I, Ordo Malleus Inquisitor, hereby authorise Death, Destruction, Doom, the total extermination of the planet "blah" with the most extreme and imperative speed.')

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 02 May 2006, 19:55

Just noticed your additional references for Rijker's Island and Holofernest. It's the little references like that which I always like, but never tend to notice :D Other than having one of every book that GW make, part of my 'geek dream' would be to have access to books like the Brewers' Dictionary of Phrases and Fables, and actually know some of the references! If only someone would pay me lots of money to do very little work :D

Oh well, maybe I'll just have to make do with the big huge Etymological dictionary that I bought my then-girlfriend (now-fiancee) for her 21st. She's a fan-fiction author and a quarter finalist in one of the Ron L Hubbard Writers of the Future competitions ;)

Anywho, the new definitions and references are in. Any more tonight and they'll have to be done later - Matrix is taking priority for the rest of the night.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

Postby Simguinus at 03 May 2006, 20:05

A cheap man's Brewers is the DiscworldTM Unseen University Quizbook: the Faculty of Eschatology questions answers often explain obscure references made by Pratchett, which are frequently similar sorts of things - there's a Holofernes Street in Anhk-Morpork, for example, IIRC it's where Sam Vimes used to drink.... :wink:

On a different topic, I managed to lay my hands on pre-Workshop piece about Albion by Tuomas Pierienen (sp?), which will form the basis of a new series of definitions, just as soon as I polish off a bio for infamous agitator and cultist Yevgeny Yefimovich....

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 04 May 2006, 07:23

Yay! We'll finally have something in the Ys :D

I've actually got a copy of the UU Quizbook. Well, I got it for my fiancee for christmas, but close enough! Never do all that great at it.

As for Mr Tuomos - pre-Workshop? Will be interesting. There'll be a campaign booklet that's useful for Albion, but I can't remember its name. All I can think of is Storms of Chaos, and it was the campaign before that.

I'll get your new definitions added soon :)

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

Postby Simguinus at 04 May 2006, 19:44

Mists of somethingorotherohIdon'tknoweitherboll*ckstoit.

It involved the Undead, and the Elves won. Twinky pointies. Hate pointies. Always have. Never forgive them for what they did to my boy. :wink:

I can't believe I played in that campaign and can;t remember its name. It saw the first outing of my unGodly Blood Dragon Cavalry (nothing but Black Nights and Vampires mwuahahahah! :twisted: )

I've not yet read the article, but I'm guessing it'll be based in part on Storm Warriors. The Albion Campaign had a map, which was about it. There are some early, and not very funny, references to Albion in some very old WDs. These include such characters as 'McDeath' and yes, he would be King of Albion, and possibly drown all Middlesex in a bath of wine. :D

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 05 May 2006, 08:08

OK, the new definitions are in now. You'll have to check them though, because there were some places I tried to clear up the punctuation and I'm not entirely sure I kept the meaning the same.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 06 May 2006, 15:11

The new definition for Geheimnisnacht is in. I've worked out one of the things that needed checking as well - the sources. Some of them were commaed together and I wasn't sure whether it was one title or two separate books by the same author.

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

Postby Simguinus at 07 May 2006, 12:47

There's usually only typos wrong with my punctuation. In cases of sources, I'll normally use listing commas to indicate works by the same author. I've been a little untidy on this, though. Bill King did not write Shadows over Bogenhafen; James Wallis and some others did. So, in future I'll do it like this:

Source, Author. New source (ibid). New source, Author.

So, for example, Marienburgs soruce listing would be a little like this:

WFRP 1st Edition; Rick Priestley, Graeme Davis, Jervis Johnson, Jim Bambra et al. WD issues X, X, X, X, X; ibid. The Tilean Rat, Sandy Mitchell. The Song, ibid.

Geheimnisnacht should be; Shadows over Bogenhafen, Rick Priestley, James Wallis et al. Geheimnisnacht, William King from Ignorant Armies (ed. David Pringle).

Depending on how exacting you want to be.... :)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 07 May 2006, 15:36

My Final Year Project is over now, so I don't think I need to see full academic-style referencing again :D When I get the new referencing system in place it'll list all of the books and then I think we'll need a separate (optional) field for the title of the story within the book for the collections they publish. I'll try and remember to change those references when I update. If I don't then yell and poke me!

[edit] Definitions are in. I'll change the categorisations and sources now.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 02 Jun 2006, 08:44

As well as Simguinus' latest additions, I've added a tiny bit of cross referencing/central archiving. There's now a definition for "Imperial Currency" which points people to the other currency definitions. When I get a chance I might do some more, such as "Battles" and, if we had more definitions, "Space Marine Chapters".

Previous