Submissions to Encyclopedia Thread

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

RE: Submissions to Encyclopedia Thread

Postby Simguinus at 06 Apr 2006, 20:33

The cities thing is well on it's way to completion - with only Praag, Zaragoz, Wurtbad, Krugenheim, Carroberg and Marienburg to go. The last two are the most difficult - source material for both of them is scattered all over the place - especially Marienburg. Zaragoz et al exist only in novels and short stories, so it's just a question of noting down the major personalities and cribbing the descriptions to be different from the original texts.

Then I can start on a few errata - adding bits to Altdorf and Middenheim, mainly - although there's an event to go in for Magritta as well.
Ego Ordinis Mallei Inquisitor, per auctoritate Digamma, Decimatio, Duodecies, ultimum exterminatum planetae [insert here] cum extrema celeritate impero.

(roughly; 'I, Ordo Malleus Inquisitor, hereby authorise Death, Destruction, Doom, the total extermination of the planet "blah" with the most extreme and imperative speed.')

In a galaxy of a million worlds, what does the death of one matter?

Simguinus, Chief Historitor

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/catalog/p ... e_id=66353

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 07 Apr 2006, 08:08

Cool :) Good luck with those remaining cities. The only source material I know of for Marienburg is Warhammer Armies: Empire from 4th edition, but I think there were some novels too, and no doubt WFRP also visited it.

If you can come up with a definition beginning with Y, it'd fill in all of the alphabet ;) Maybe Yevgeny Yefimovich from the Genevieve books. I know of him, but I can't remember much from the Genevieve books - it's been ages since I read them.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

Postby Simguinus at 08 Apr 2006, 08:36

Yeah, Yefimovich is coming. And a small town called Yremy - from an Orfeo short story. A lot of Marienburg fluff is, alas, lost to me, as it was in WD135, 133 and 131 - when they detailed a lot of denizens of the city. I'll put what I can remember in, and the stuff from the Sam Warble shorts.

Once the cities are done, I intend to move on and fill definitons for some of the things which are mentioned in them, thus increasing the cross-ref goodness. :)
Ego Ordinis Mallei Inquisitor, per auctoritate Digamma, Decimatio, Duodecies, ultimum exterminatum planetae [insert here] cum extrema celeritate impero.

(roughly; 'I, Ordo Malleus Inquisitor, hereby authorise Death, Destruction, Doom, the total extermination of the planet "blah" with the most extreme and imperative speed.')

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 08 Apr 2006, 13:02

Yeah, I need to look at what needs cross-referencing at some point. It ends up taking huge amounts of time if I'm trying to read them for mistakes/typos and cross reference them :D
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

Postby Simguinus at 14 Apr 2006, 11:30

OK, I'm down to Praag and Carroberg now. On the subject of x-refs; the Detlef x-ref in the Genevieve definition doens't seem to be working....

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 14 Apr 2006, 13:19

Cool, and I'll sort that link out soon :)

[edit] Always helps if you call him Detlef instead of Detleft :D Stupid mistake from me there.

Also, I just realised that I've still got three of your definitions pending from last Saturday! Sorry about that, I should have got them in sooner. I'll be revising for the rest of this afternoon, so I'll try to get them up this evening/tonight/tomorrow morning (Friday night is my 'sit and watch Star Trek Voyager DVD with the fiancee, some beer, some bread and some nice Italian dipping sauce' night, so it might end up tomorrow)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 15 Apr 2006, 09:56

OK, the definitions are in now. I've made a few minor changes (moved the bit about the knights of the Goddess to after the mention of the goddess, some minor punctuation changes, corrected Pul'g to Plug's, etc) but I'm trusting you that you spelled "van Onderzoeker" correctly :D

Also, can you see any similarity between Rijker's Isle and Alkatraz? I wonder how many other civilisations/countries have had that idea.

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 15 Apr 2006, 16:44

Was going to look at Rijker's Isle but I couldn't find it in the encyclopedia (I had to resist calling it a wiki then, encyclopedia seems such a long word). I'm assuming it's a prison set in water, I think Colditz was in the middle of a river, but was origionally a castle, Alcatraz (with a c) was origionally a military installation of some type as well before it was a prison.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 15 Apr 2006, 20:11

Rijker's Island is in the Marienburg description, but that reminds me - should rebuild the search index!

As for Alcatraz - meh, seemed right with a K :D

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

Postby Simguinus at 15 Apr 2006, 23:12

Rijker's Island in Marienburg bears a direct similarity to Riker's Island in New York; a US Correctional Facilty (unnecessary, but you gotta love the Correctional Facility part:) ) an island prison seperate from the rest of the city and connected by a bridge. I'm also noticing a fair amount of 'Dutchness' in the naming conventions of Marienburg (Hoogbrug, Hoogmann, van Onderwhatsit), so since "even Old New York, was once New Amsterdam..." I'm guessing this is where they approriated several ideas and jokes from.

Re-read Beasts In Velvet today (while making stew), and spotted a couple of other Marienburghers who are worth a brief mention.

I may abandon the Carroberg, as it's proving difficult to run down 'cannon' source material. I'll start mini-defs for some of the bit-players who get name-checked in my city defs soon. The Marienburg definiton got longer and longer; I started being ruthless about what I was cutting, so there'll be a fair few folk who get a mini-def to tie them to Marienburg.

Several cities / civs have used the watery prison idea: the British Empire had prison 'hulks' - vessels no longer sea-worthy moored off-shore and used as floating prisons. In fact, we still have a couple today; although they're no longer rotting hulks.
The US has at least two, which we've already mentioned.
Venger in D&D the cartoon had a floating prison; well, it was surrounded by lava, which is close enough for me :) .
Justice World in Red Dwarf....
MegaCity One used Titan as a penal colony (ok, getting silly now) :D

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 16 Apr 2006, 08:56

Ah, didn't realise New York had a Correctional Facility like that :D

As for the bit-part players, if you don't want the Marienburg (or any other other) definition to get too long, they can just go in as a list of cross references. Kind of like "Other characters associated with Marienburg are:..."

The search listing is updated now, so Rijker's Island turns up references now (although if you don't do exact then it turns up other places that just mention 'island' as well)

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 16 Apr 2006, 11:40

Simguinus wrote:MegaCity One used Titan as a penal colony (ok, getting silly now) :D

STOP! I am the luh!

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 24 Apr 2006, 22:02

Just been adding some more submissions (still got another six sides of A4 of scribbled notes taken from Ian Watson's Inquisitor that I've got to input) and because I've not written an interface for adding approved words, only pending words, I was sticking them straight in to the database. Got to Jokaero and got an error saying it already existed - curse you Simguinus, getting to my words first :D I've added a tiny bit more to the description, mentioning what the weapons are.

If the digital weapons are the ones I'm thinking of (the ones in the 2nd Ed rulebooks) then it'd be great if I could eventually get round to adding some pictures of some of these definitions as well :)

[edit] I've edited the Carnelian definition as well, so now it includes the mention of him invading the Tarot cards of Draco.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 26 Apr 2006, 20:17

More muchos-updates. I'll announce them and fill the search word database later (probably tomorrow) but every word I came up with from the Inquisitor novel has now been added or the existing word has been updated. If anyone spots any mistakes, just tell me :)

There are a few I was going to ask for people's opinions of the classification for, but they can wait, and I noticed that I didn't have a definition of Grimm, the Squat, but otherwise I think it's all covered.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 27 Apr 2006, 20:51

OK, those 'dubious' classifications I was talking about. In the end, it isn't a major issue, but I just wondered whether people agreed with my initial classification - after all, if everyone thinks the classification is correct then it'll be easier for people to find things in future :)

Historitors - I've classed them as "Organisation/Army" because they're a rank/job within the Imperial organisation.

Bendercoot - it's actually a Red Dwarf Star, but I've put it under Planets and Sectors because it comes mid-way in between the two.

Column of Glory - It's a big pillar on Terra, so I've put it as a location.

So, does everyone agree that they're probably about the best classifications?

Finally, as an aside, we now have nearly 200 definitions in the encyclopdia (199 to be exact). OK, so some of them aren't really definitions, they're just references to other versions of the same thing (such as Inquisitor Draco references to Jaq Draco) but 200 is still a good number :)

PreviousNext