IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: Submissions to Encyclopedia Thread

Postby IBBoard at 18 Mar 2006, 16:21

Yeah, no problem :) and I know what you mean about the 'you can't reword it' bit. There's been many a time in Uni work where quoting seems like overkill, but there's only really one way of saying this sentence that's in a book :D

As long as they're copies (I've had one or two that looked like fairly obvious copies) then GW Legal shouldn't be able to complain. After all, it's researched min-articles, not copies of their content :) I got one of the definitions up earlier, I'll get the rest up now :)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 18 Mar 2006, 16:36

OK, they're added and updated now :) Thanks again for the submissions - I don't recognise some of the books you're referencing, but I probably know them, unless they're WFRP stuff.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

Postby Simguinus at 19 Mar 2006, 21:07

They're short stories - The Other was in Ignorant Armies and Skaven's Claw now appears in Trollslayer, after being published in WD originally.
Ego Ordinis Mallei Inquisitor, per auctoritate Digamma, Decimatio, Duodecies, ultimum exterminatum planetae [insert here] cum extrema celeritate impero.

(roughly; 'I, Ordo Malleus Inquisitor, hereby authorise Death, Destruction, Doom, the total extermination of the planet "blah" with the most extreme and imperative speed.')

In a galaxy of a million worlds, what does the death of one matter?

Simguinus, Chief Historitor

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/catalog/p ... e_id=66353

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 20 Mar 2006, 09:04

Ah, Ignorant Armies - I've read that one. Probably read the one from WD too :D

I'll get your newest two up later :)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 21 Mar 2006, 15:18

New submissions are in now :)

Bordeleaux sounds strangely like Couronne when it comes to the Docklands area though - I think GW ran out of ideas and made all of the docklands in to the same rough and seedy areas without police, while the rest of the city was nice :D

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

Postby Simguinus at 22 Mar 2006, 14:59

All of the Bretonnian city descriptions are like that: "...blah, blah, blah, and the down-trodden poor live in inestimable squalor in [insert city here] while the docklands are dens of vice and iniquity blah, blah, blah...."

I think it has a lot to do with the facr that WFRP had just been written (the edition I have frequently refers to the forthcoming Realms of Chaos supplements :wink: ) and that pretty much anywhere outside of the Empire was "to be written". Zaragoz doesn't even have an entry in the WFRP rulebook. It'd be interesting to see what Knights of the Grail, the forthcoming Bretonnian supplement for WFRP 2nd Ed has to say about it....
Last edited by Simguinus on 01 Apr 2006, 09:12, edited 1 time in total.
Ego Ordinis Mallei Inquisitor, per auctoritate Digamma, Decimatio, Duodecies, ultimum exterminatum planetae [insert here] cum extrema celeritate impero.

(roughly; 'I, Ordo Malleus Inquisitor, hereby authorise Death, Destruction, Doom, the total extermination of the planet "blah" with the most extreme and imperative speed.')

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

Project Hiatus

Postby Simguinus at 01 Apr 2006, 09:11

Apologies, IBBoard, for the hiatus on the Warhammer Cities Project. I moved offices to Edinburgh on Monday gone, and this has been eating into my free time a little. Also, I ordered a batch of old GW anthologies off Amazon for some extra info, and was waiting for them to arrive.

Normal service should resume shortly... 8)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 01 Apr 2006, 19:30

Cool :) And don't worry about it. I had wondered where you'd got to, but I know people get busy. I'll try to get your latest additions (I've not checked but I'm assuming they're yours) up tomorrow. I'll also try to contribute some stuff out of Warhammer Armies: Empire or High Elves (5th editions) over the next three weeks. Hurrah for Easter Holidays!

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 02 Apr 2006, 12:00

OK, they're added now :) I still need to cross-reference things like mentions of other cities that are in the Encyclopedia, but the Formula 1 re-run is going to start in a little bit, so it's time to get lunch and watch it :)

I think I might have missed two of your definitions last time I updated (Quenelles and Magritta) but they're in now :)

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

Postby Simguinus at 02 Apr 2006, 18:36

Nevermind, it looks better if you get 5+ in in one go.... :D

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 06 Apr 2006, 19:43

OK, the latest batch are now up and I've updated the ones you put in addendums for. I made a few changes to grammar in places, and tried to keep a consistent tense throughout (all past-tense so that it's a consistent report of what has happened). One I didn't follow was:

Middenheim names

nothing else in it, so I don't know what you meant :\ couldn't find a mis-spelling of 'name' or of Middenheim either.

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

Postby Simguinus at 06 Apr 2006, 19:54

It's possible that its something I started and hit the submit button on before I was finished. I'm trying think what the hell I could have meant by that. I know that I was going to make an addendum for Middenheim to include Dieter Helsnicht - the necromancer from Warhammer Armies: Undead, and its possible that someone / something else I came across was meant to be in there, but it's gone now, so don't worry. :?

I'm sure it'll come back to me. Oh, on the subject of misspelling, "spoliers" in the "Warning:..." tagline on each entry. :) Probably my fault, since you too that out of my Vargr definition.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 06 Apr 2006, 19:59

OK, fixed the spoliers :D Also, I spliced some of the tiny bits I had about Genevieve in to the definition :)

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

Postby Simguinus at 06 Apr 2006, 20:13

The hardest part of that was working out some of the dates - I had to track through the texts looking for references to either "x years ago at Castle Drachenfels" or something similar; a recap point Kim Newman annoyingly dropped from later works. :) Fortunately, he almost always provides a timestamp by referencing Genevieve's age, which is handy.

spliced some of the tiny bits I had about Genevieve in to the definition

Figured (hoped actually) you would. It saved me from including personal descriptions... :D

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 06 Apr 2006, 20:22

I didn't have much on her anyway - the only important thing was that she still looks 16 and that she has a whole series of books :D

PreviousNext