Submissions to Encyclopedia Thread

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

Submissions to Encyclopedia Thread

Postby Simguinus at 08 Mar 2006, 23:06

Don't know if this belongs here, or in the Suggestions and Updates bit. But, I thought, how about a thread for submissions to the HWT encyclopedia of GW?

People could debate the value of a particular submission and stuff, and suggest errata before a submission goes through the actual 'pedia.

Just a thought...
Ego Ordinis Mallei Inquisitor, per auctoritate Digamma, Decimatio, Duodecies, ultimum exterminatum planetae [insert here] cum extrema celeritate impero.

(roughly; 'I, Ordo Malleus Inquisitor, hereby authorise Death, Destruction, Doom, the total extermination of the planet "blah" with the most extreme and imperative speed.')

In a galaxy of a million worlds, what does the death of one matter?

Simguinus, Chief Historitor

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/catalog/p ... e_id=66353

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: Submissions to Encyclopedia Thread

Postby IBBoard at 09 Mar 2006, 08:49

Could do, although I don't think there are enough submissions to make it worth it! Generally, anything is acceptable. As long as you can find something to write about it, then it can probably go in there. My general style is (or at least was for the one time I did it) to read a book and then re-read it in bits, taking notes. I'm part way through those notes, but it takes me ages to get them typed up so it keeps getting left behind.

Actually, I think I've still got a few to clear through and approve - I'll have to find time to do them.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 09 Mar 2006, 15:26

Is it possible to set up some sort of wiki system?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 09 Mar 2006, 17:56

It would be possible, but I've already had one spam-bot hit it with a URL submission, so I don't trust it to be that open. If any changes need to be made, they can either be submitted as 'new' definitions, emailed to me or posted in this thread.

Tonight is going to be work free - the Uni work progressed well today - so I'll try to get the pending ones approved.

The other alternative to a Wiki system is for me to code more of a control panel into it and get a trusted team to help :) I've always wanted more input, and things seem to be picking up now, but input has never really needed it before.

[edit] Those new definitions have been added now - far better research than my original ones, and more detail than most of my most recent ones. Not a clue whose they are - is it you, Simguinus?
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

Credit....

Postby Simguinus at 12 Mar 2006, 17:43

Not a clue whose they are - is it you, Simguinus?

Yep. Witness my geekery :D

Oh, and the stuff from trouble_gum is me too. There may be a few which are unclear, like the Forbidden Fortress definition and Zephro which are mine too.

It just happens that I have that kind of mind - which delights in the filing of useless information and its later codifying.... :wink:
Ego Ordinis Mallei Inquisitor, per auctoritate Digamma, Decimatio, Duodecies, ultimum exterminatum planetae [insert here] cum extrema celeritate impero.

(roughly; 'I, Ordo Malleus Inquisitor, hereby authorise Death, Destruction, Doom, the total extermination of the planet "blah" with the most extreme and imperative speed.')

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 12 Mar 2006, 19:05

I'll have to change all of those to list them as you, then :) Thanks for the submissions, it really is great. I know there's a hell of a long way to go, but any contributions are useful :)

I've also added the 'submitter' and 'source' as a field on submission now, so you can fill them in, and submitter is also visible with each definition. I also took a hint from (I'm assuming your) Vargr Breughel definition and put the little warning on the top of the definitions and the list pages.

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

Postby Simguinus at 12 Mar 2006, 20:26

Yeah, Vargr was me. I put that in because it does reveal a fairly major plot twist in Drachenfels, namely that Vargr isn't the killer. And someone who hasn't read it might look it up, and well...

Arguably, having 'submitter' in the submission, kinda renders this thread impotent, unless people want to use it to discuss submissions - i.e "oh, I didn't know that" type of discussions. Not sure how useful or sucessful that'd be.

In terms of future stuff, I'll keep it coming. I'm trying to make them as detailed and relevant as possible, while not making them hugely lengthy, or based on vastly obscure inidents and characters. It depends on how 'exhaustive' you want the 'pedia to be :wink:

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 12 Mar 2006, 20:50

As exhaustive as possible :D feel free to replace some of my existing Drachenfels definitions. I wrote them quite a while after reading the novels and just re-skimmed them to pick up a few points, hence why things like the Genevieve definition are somewhat on the sparse side.

Now if only there was a way to get more interested people like you to set up a team of researchers :) I always seem to have ideas that interest just me and a tiny fraction of other people, though :D

[edit] OK, submitters updated - I think I've credited all of your words to you now :) I added 'submitter' so people actually got the credit they were due, but this thread can still have a purpose of sorts, so I'll leave it :)

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

Postby Simguinus at 13 Mar 2006, 19:38

Now if only there was a way to get more interested people like you to set up a team of researchers

Hmmm....surely the lure of better rankings? By sticking subs in this thread, people can bump up their forum ranking and stop being 1st Year Cadets (or whatever) :D
Appealing to people's base instincts always seems to work. At least for Slannesh, anyway :lol:

I for one greatly support the idea of the 'Encyclopedia Games Workshopica', and intend to carry on submitting random stuff until I run out of solid sources. Most of the stuff comes from WH novels and my aging copy of WFRP 1st Ed, unfortunately I chucked a lot of my WD back-issues when I moved out from home to Uni 7 years ago. Hopefully, I've still got WD 140 knocking around upstairs, which has lots of Space Fleet fluff...

At the moment, its just 40K and Warhammer. How do you feel about it being DF as well?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 14 Mar 2006, 06:13

I'd have to add it as a new section, but Dark Future would be kinda cool - makes it even more Games Workshopica :)

Thanks for the submissions - I'll get the latest ones up later today (not got the time right now)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 15 Mar 2006, 16:52

OK, the new submissions are in :) I added Harald under "Dirty Harald" and "Harald Kleindeinst" and I cross-referenced the mentions of Genevieve, Drachenfels and Chandagnac in the definition of Parravon. If anyone notices any cross-referencing that I've missed, just yell. In future I might make a special BBCode style XRef tag so that you can mark it up and it'll cross-ref for me, something like [xref=Genevieve]Genevieve Dieudonne[/xref] that'll automatically put in the link to the Genevieve definition :)

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

Postby Simguinus at 15 Mar 2006, 19:59

Oh, I've come across a submission that needs crediting...
'The Order of Eternal Night and Solace' - mine again, I'm afraid... :)

I'm going to try and follow some sort of logical pattern with the next few, I thought I'd go for definitions of the major Warhammer cities, unless there's something in particular you want done?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 16 Mar 2006, 08:37

Ah, I missed one, did I? I'll go fix that :) And no, cities are good. Cities add a useful base for cross-referencing things because a good proportion of definitions will mention a town or city. I'll get the two new ones up shortly.

Warhammer Armies: Empire from 4th edition would be good for cities, although I can imaging WHFRP being even more detailed.

[edit] OK, they're in now :) Just to make sure (I get the feeling I don't have to ask, but I always like to be careful when it may involve GW Legal!) these are researched definitions without direct copying of text? :) Everything seems to be in a non-GW style, but I've not read the WHFRP so I don't know about the city definitions :)

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

Postby Simguinus at 18 Mar 2006, 09:16

There's no direct copying here, but they're basically taken from Warhammer Armies 4th Ed, with a few extra bits from WFRP 1st Ed thrown in. So, they aren't exact wordings, but some things are as the appear in the GW originals, 'cos it's difficult to re-word things like
"the most imposing building in Nuln is a the temple to Verena" without it sounding pretty much the same. The definitions are hybridised between the two sources, and aren't identical to the published text.

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

I'm an idiot...

Postby Simguinus at 18 Mar 2006, 15:42

:oops:
In my addendum to the Middenheim definition, I said the Felix and Gotrek were sewerjacks in Middenheim. This is in fact false and wrong, they were in Nuln, not Middenheim. :oops:

Can you make with the editorial magic and shunt that bit into the right place in the 'pedia? :?

Next