IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

'Biggest 1500pt army' in White Dwarf

Postby IBBoard at 11 Feb 2006, 18:11

I don't know if anyone else has been reading the letters section of WD, but in 312 and 313 they had the "I've got a bigger army than you" competition.

I've just got my newly ordered bits through, and I've been re-writing my army. The original contender (Mr Kelly's Tyranid Hive Fleet Jormungandr) totaled 120 models. Without even trying to make a big army, I've counted up and my army is 135 models, or 141 if you count the grots as separate from their Big Gunz. And that includes Stormboyz, Kommandos, a Dreadnought and three Kans! A quick shuffle around and I can get that up to around 170 (drop all of the heavy support, bring in 14 stikkbommas and 20 shoota boys). An even bigger push (reducing the Stormboyz to 6 models) and I can total about 180!

I didn't realise I had quite so many models and that my Ork army could be so huge! Granted the huge army would struggle against tanks (3 burnas, 6 rokkits and 13 krak stikkbombs) but it'd outnumber just about anything else! It beats the 170 strong Nid swarm and is about equal to the 182 man Praetorians (although I think the Orks would beat them in combat!)

Now to get it all assembled and painted...
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

RE: 'Biggest 1500pt army' in White Dwarf

Postby MadMaffMan at 11 Feb 2006, 20:06

You should send in a letter to the WD mag just for kicks... :-)
"No Pity! No Remorse! No Beer!"

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: 'Biggest 1500pt army' in White Dwarf

Postby IBBoard at 12 Feb 2006, 10:47

Yeah :D got to get the army painted first though!

Just recounted and I think I end up just beating the 182 man army! :clap:

1 Warboss w/choppa and More Dakka Shoota (68pt)
5 Stormboyz w/Frag and Krak stikkbombs (90pt)
7 Kommandos w/Krak stikkbombs (95pt)
20 Slugga Boys inc. Nob and 3 burnas (209pt)
20 Slugga Boys inc. nob and 3 Rokkits (206pt)
28 Shoota Boys inc. Nob (w/bosspole and choppa) and 3 Big Shootas (264pt)
26 Shoota Boyz (208pt)
14 Stikkbommas w/3 rokkits (155pt)
28 Grots w/slaver and hound (99pt)
30 Grots w/slaver and hound (105pt)

1499pts, 183 boys!

The only boys I'd have left would be the loota with the Plasma Cannon, the Loota Nob and the removed Stormboyz. That also uses every single grot I have, including the spare one who's actually the snotling from the Skorcha and one who needs a spare hand (don't ask - the previous owner did a conversion or something!)

[edit] Ooops! I posted the list on the GW forums and someone pointed out that I had 7 troop choices. Drat! Need to shuffle things around and keep it to 6 :D
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)