Veterans night at GW

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Veterans night at GW

Postby MadMaffMan at 28 Jan 2006, 17:53

After all this BT skinning i've been thinking of taking up WH40K, so of i went to my local GW store in Bournemouth. They got some real nice models in their display cabinets, makes the couple of squads of SM's i have look like i painted them with crayons. :shock:

The guy in the store says that they have a 'Veterans Night' for older gamers like myself which is ok with me as i stuck out somewhat amongst a sea of heads that were about 2 foot shorter than me. :lol:

Question is do i take up WHFB or WH40K, the chap said to bring along the SM's that i have and they'll take a look to see what i could do with them. Thing is i was looking at the WHFB stuff and some of that really caught my eye. :shock:

The Chaos models in particular, i'm quite keen on being evil for a change. :twisted:

One thing that surprised me was the cost of the stuff now, it always was expensive but £30 just for the rules book let alone the Codex's and models. I better start saving my pennys. :roll:

I may even be able to convert my SM's into CSM's. :?:
"No Pity! No Remorse! No Beer!"

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: Veterans night at GW

Postby IBBoard at 28 Jan 2006, 19:52

Converting is always fun, although beware of taking tips from the staff - they get major discounts and so will go for bigger conversions than most people can afford :D

Veterans night is always good - all the annoying little kids get kicked out and it's only more mature gamers there for a good time :)

As for 40K or FB, I'm not sure :D I've not looked into 6th Edition WHFB, although TGSC has. It depends on the style you like and how you want to collect. Try getting an intro game of each - the rules are different between 40K and FB and they play differently so squads Vs tactical blocks might make a difference :) With the "how you want to collect", some people go for making a list and then buying it, others buy what they like the look of and then make a list around that. The first is probably better in battle, but the second can be more fun (if a little more expensive!)

As for expensive - read my article ;) if you don't mind online mail order then oraclegames.co.uk do up to 25% discount :) although they don't offer an affiliate scheme, so I'm referring people for free :D
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 28 Jan 2006, 20:42

Very good article indeed...cheers.

I picked up a load of Orks once at a car-boot, £5 for loads of the really old lead figures. I also have a box set of Orks, the very old set when they were called Space Orks. They look a little different to the Orks now but with a bit of conversion they would look ok i reckon. :?

But as you said in your article money is the deciding factor. I do like the look of Chaos Space Marines, lots of conversion opportunities. But i suppose it's a bit daft to not make the most of the models that i do have and with a bit of rummaging in the dark corners of the house i reckon i can make up several squads of Space Marines. :wink:

I may find someone there that i could trade the figures i dont need with ones that they dont want, it's surprising what you find once you start looking through cupboards. I just found a box of Tau that i think someone gave me a couple of years back. :o
"No Pity! No Remorse! No Beer!"

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 28 Jan 2006, 21:32

LOL :D TGSC has a box sat on his desk that has some Tau, some Tomb Kings Ushabti and several other fairly expensive models in. Together, along with a big chunk of Ork stuff (that I've just about finished cleaning up and stripping!) our Grandma picked it up dirt cheap in a charity shop :D Now all I need is three more boxes of Ork Boyz and another box of Goblins (more grots!) and my army will be complete up to 2000pts :)

Maybe at some point there'll be a "Games Workshop terrain on a budget" article :D Or one about how you started back into 40K/WH? ;)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)