Black Templars stealing from Monty Python?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Black Templars stealing from Monty Python?

Postby IBBoard at 28 Nov 2005, 17:14

I've just been reading the latest White Dwarf (the article about Matt Hutson's Black Templar army) and noticed a reference to the "Holy Orb of Antioch". Now a quick Google for it shows that Antioch was a real-world Crusade location (hence why it's in the Black Templars Codex) but it also turns up a description of the wargear item in question.

Interestingly it is a short range assault weapon with a blast template. It is really easy to wound models and has high AP and an auto-glance feature (note: no specifics or GW legal get upset ;) )

Anyway, can you say "Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch"?! :roll:
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

solidzaku

RE: Black Templars stealing from Monty Python?

Postby solidzaku at 22 Dec 2005, 18:45

Could be worse, the next Chaos Codex could bring in a new unit called the "Chaos Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog"

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 30 Dec 2005, 17:45

That'd be major rip-off though - definate legal case! At least Antioch is a real place.

I know GW quite heavily 'borrow' for real history, but the 'Holy Orb' thing seemed a little excessive on the 'using inspiration' front.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 17 Jan 2006, 12:11

I've just been talking to TGSC on MSN and we've worked out the special rule that'll come with the next Black Templars special character they create. It'll be one of the following:

• It's only a flesh wound
  • 'tis but a scratch
  • For they shall know only flesh wounds

:D

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 17 Jan 2006, 17:35

How about new wargear........The Holy Band-aid Dispenser. :shock:

And i don't mean the mega charity event... :wink:
"No Pity! No Remorse! No Beer!"

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 17 Jan 2006, 22:36

Can you imagine the havoc if it was Band Aid the charity event? Especially if it was Band Aid 20!

Oh the horror, choosing between too many bad hair dos and shoulderpads or all the useless pop acts of modern day :D

Librarian Rannos

Postby Librarian Rannos at 20 Jan 2006, 21:06

How about a special Black Templars rule called Holy Roman Empire's Doom Reign[or Franks's or whatever]???!!!The rule should be something like:"this rule can be used/activated once per batle.Anytime during the Black Templars' player turn,the player can select this ability of his general and activate a hand-held doom's-day
device and claim the match as even.Only for Force cmds.Cost:10pts"!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 20 Jan 2006, 21:11

Librarian Rannos wrote:How about a special Black Templars rule called Holy Roman Empire's Doom Reign[or Franks's or whatever]???!!!The rule should be something like:"this rule can be used/activated once per batle.Anytime during the Black Templars' player turn,the player can select this ability of his general and activate a hand-held doom's-day
device and claim the match as even.Only for Force cmds.Cost:10pts"!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't get it :?

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

Postby Simguinus at 05 Mar 2006, 20:59

Somehow, you can just see a Black Templar Commander turning to his Librarian and demanding that Brother Maynard bring forth the Book of Armaments and the Holy Orb.... :shock:
Ego Ordinis Mallei Inquisitor, per auctoritate Digamma, Decimatio, Duodecies, ultimum exterminatum planetae [insert here] cum extrema celeritate impero.

(roughly; 'I, Ordo Malleus Inquisitor, hereby authorise Death, Destruction, Doom, the total extermination of the planet "blah" with the most extreme and imperative speed.')

In a galaxy of a million worlds, what does the death of one matter?

Simguinus, Chief Historitor

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/catalog/p ... e_id=66353

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 06 Mar 2006, 09:15

Yeah, it's one thing taking inspiration from various real world cultures, but Monty Python just lets the whole thing down by feeling a bit fake :D

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

Postby Simguinus at 07 Mar 2006, 09:06

Yes, 'cos there's a difference between inspiration, and even knowing references, and outright copying. Jack Yeovil's (or Kim Newman, depending on how you want to refer to him) novels from both Warhammer and Dark Future continually referenced poular culture - things like Drachenfels quoting 'Dracula' when he meets the adventurers who've come to kill him, or Jeffrey Archer being Conversative PM in 'Demon Download' (still gives me a chuckle :D). These are funny, knowing references.
The Goff Rok Band, now that was amusing...giving the Black Templars the Holy Hand Grenade is just plain daft.
Ego Ordinis Mallei Inquisitor, per auctoritate Digamma, Decimatio, Duodecies, ultimum exterminatum planetae [insert here] cum extrema celeritate impero.

(roughly; 'I, Ordo Malleus Inquisitor, hereby authorise Death, Destruction, Doom, the total extermination of the planet "blah" with the most extreme and imperative speed.')

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 07 Mar 2006, 10:06

Dark Future is kinda different though, since it's actually supposed to be Earth in the future (or possibly the past now - I can't remember the date).

As for Dracehnfels, I don't remember him quoting Dracula :D Maybe I just put it down to 'Vampire speech'!

The Goff Rock Band and other 2nd Edition Ork things were funny, but I think I prefer the newer style. Keep it gritty and gothic, with a small amount of Orky 'it dont work boss' humour (like Super Stikkbombs blowing the big mek up), but comedy with Marines just doesn't work.

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

Postby Simguinus at 07 Mar 2006, 10:17

It's the past now, since Comeback Tour was set in 1998 (May the 8th 1998, to be specific, and I can remember that cos it's my birthday).

Arguably, 40K is supposed to Earth in the far, far, future, so references such as I described within DF are perfectly acceptable, things like the Captain of the Dock Watch in Beast in Velvet being called Dickon (which makes him Dickon of the Dock Watch, which is pretty close to Dickon of Dock Green *groan*), which is funny in a sort of roll-your-eyes kind of way.

The Drachenfels quote is "welcome to my house, enter freely, go safely and leave a little of the...". Constant never gets to finish this as Menesh lamps him with a sword, possibly out of an aggrieved literary sensitivity :D

I agree, whilst the Rok Band was amusing, it's better to keep that kind of thing to minimum. Although I disapprove strongly of things like *shudders* 'Oooge Choppas'...and much prefer the Kombi-weapons as presented in WD13? with the drawings by the Pen-Runtz and the mishaps table.

Marines aren't comedy, and shouldn't be. Except wherein you can get a joke out naming your marine.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 07 Mar 2006, 19:09

I thought it was Dixon of Dock Green. I know a lot of WH names are very real world-esque, but I never actually noticed that one :D

As for 40K, it's still based around Earth, but by the 41st millenium I think we'd have forgotten most references. At least by 1998 Monty Python would still have been a 'recent reference', and Jeffry Archer was (although he was probably in prison :D). Somehow real world references like that, unless they're something majorly important like a generic reference to the Crusades or some other huge even, just don't seem right in the universe.

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

Postby Simguinus at 08 Mar 2006, 22:25

Agreed, but subtle references, like the White Scars being nomadic warriors, and their Primarch just happens to be called Jaghati Khan. Or the Call me Ishmael... story in Necromunda about the Sump Spiders. Things which have generic 'resonance' without being daft. Monty Python is just not on, its too commonly referenced in the general gaming community already, and smacks of silliness for sillinesses sake - an excess which some Ork stuff is definitely guilty of.

And yeah, it should have been Dixon of Dock Green. Cf Robo-Dixon in Demon Download...

Next