Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Refitting my Ork army

Postby IBBoard at 29 Oct 2005, 18:32

Warning: Very long post!

OK, firstly I'll show you my current 1500pt Tuesday Night Gaming army (I've not gone into full details, so if you know points values then it might not add up perfectly):

Warboss with Waagh! Banner and Wava, frag stikkbombs and More Dakka Shootier Shoota (mmmmmmm, S5 Assault 2 Shoota!) @ 94pts
Big Mek with slugga and super stikkbomb @ 31pts
8 Stormboyz with frag and krak and inc. Nob @ 155pts
7 Kommandos inc Nob @ 81pts
18 Slugga Boyz with 2 burnas inc Nob @ 185pts
16 Shoota Boys with 3 big shootas inc Nob with more dakka shoota, bosspole and choppa @ 173pts
11 Stikk Bommas with frag and krak @ 110pts
21 grots with slaver and squighound @ 77pts
2 Killer Kans @ 90pts
10 Lootas with 3 Heavy Bolters and a Plasma Cannon inc Nob choppa and more dakka shoota @ 197pts
6 Trukk Boyz in Trukk with Big Shoota @ 92pts
Looted Predator Annihilator @ 130pts
2 Trakks (1 Skorcha, 1 twin-big shoota) @ 84 pts

All that comes to 1499pts, so I've got a single point to spare. Now, the problem I'm having is that the Predator and Lootas were cool for image, but with an Orky BS they just aren't worth it. Stikk Bommas only have CC Weapons as well, not choppas, which makes them weak in combat (especially since I've not made use of their stikkbombs yet). My plans for a rework are:

Remove:
Stikk Bommas @ 110pts
Predator @ 130pts
Lootas @ 197pts
Trakks @ 84pts
Shootier upgrade for Warboss @ 2 pts
Total Removed: 523pts

Add:
Third Killer Kan @ 45pts
Dreadnought with 2 rokkits @ 80pts
20 more grots with slaver (new mob) @ 69pts
20 Slugga Boys (new mob) with 3 rokkits and including Nob @ 206pts
3 More Shoota boys @ 24pts
Third burna for the original Slugga Boys mob @ 6pts
3 Kannons plus one extra krew @ 93pts
Total added: 523pts

That'll give me a few more boys (removing 21 inc Nob and adding 23 in Nob, plus 20 grots and a slaver). It'll also get me more anti-armour (3 rokkits in a mob, a third burna, 2 on the dreadnought, 1 on the extra kan and the three kannons! Plus you can't forget the combined power of three kans and a dreadnought in close combat!). On top of that I get more staying power because I can take more casualties, my large anti-tank stuff won't get taken out in a single shot and I'm not paying nearly 200pts just for the sake of 3 'heavy' versions of a Big Shoota that come with an extra point of AP (what has a 4+ save anyway?) plus a plasma cannon.

On top of that I've also got an even more anti-armour version planned:

Remove:
4 Shoota Boyz @ 32pts
2 Slugga Boyz @ 18pts
Warboss' Choppa @ 1pt
Warboss' Frag Stikkboms @ 1pt (cos they're pretty much useless with a power claw)
More Dakka Shoota @ 6pts
Add:
Power claw for Slugga Boyz Nob in mob with Burnas @ 25pts
Power claw for Warboss @ 25pts
Shoota/Skorcha (cos that's what the model has) @ 8pts

Total: 0pts - slightly less boys, but a Warboss and Nob with doubled strength and ignoring armour saves in combat!

As for models, I've also got an extension up to 2,000 pts planned that I'll try to buy online all in one go to maximise the advantage of the discount :) although I've got a gap that needs filling :\

Extras for the 2000pt army currently run at:

Remove:
Choppa and Stikk Bombs from Warboss @ 3pts
Add:
Mega Armour and Mega Boosta for Warboss @ 40pts (I have the Ghazghkull model to use!)
8 more Stormboyz @ 144pts
10 more Shoota boys (Max out the mob) @ 80pts
10 more Slugga boys (Max out the new mob) @ 90pts
10 more Slugga boys (Nearly max out old mob) @ 90pts
Total: 441pts

All I need to do is buy three boxes of Ork Boys, a Kannon and a box of Goblins for conversions from Oracle Games, hand-pick a Nob with Slugga and Choppa and one with Slugga and Power Claw from the GW shelves, In-Store MO four Rokkits (two missing from my dreadie and two to use to convert the Rokkit boys - in-store hopefully still means free postage) and then get hold of a lone burna boy. I actually need slightly more than three boxes of Boys, but I think I'm just going to use a couple of my Stikkbommas as "stand-ins with alternate weaponry to keep the Orky look" :D

I've got the Kan, the Dreadie, 10 plastic boys, the warboss in mega armour, a warboss for the power claw conversion (plus the powerclaw), the metal bits for the Stormboyz and the spare krew man already :)

Any suggestions on what would go well in a 40pt slot (1pt is still left over from the 1500pt army)? :D or any comments on the army idea as a whole?

One thing I am thinking of is that I could equip my Kommandos with Frag Stikkbombs and Tankbusta Bombs - that'd be 28pts taken care of, leaving just 12pts, although I'd then have to think how to model them and I should really find some way of making them removable for the 1500pt battles :\ Alternatively I've got eight metal grots and a Squig I can convert into a Squig Hound for the second mob of Grots that'd spend 29pts and give me a minor conversion (chopping the squig off the Warboss' hand!)

Decisions, decisions...
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: Refitting my Ork army

Postby IBBoard at 31 Oct 2005, 10:55

I've just bought some models on eBay cheaper than they could be found elsewhere :)

I got a pair of Burna Boys for £3.72 plus £1 P&P. I only actually need one, but GW charge £3.60 for one when you buy it as parts and £6 for the pair, so I thought an extra one wouldn't harm :) it's also 8p cheaper than from Oracle Games, and that's with postage included :) I could have got it about 10p cheaper, but I didn't want to get out bid by a few pence :D

I've also bought a third Ork Kannon from a guy's online shop - £4 plus £1 P&P, which is 60p cheaper than from Oracle and includes postage and is £2 cheaper than from GW!

I've also got my eyes on a couple of other items that are ending soon, but I'm going to keep quiet about them in case someone from here wants them and snags them first :D
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 02 Nov 2005, 12:05

The burna boys have now arrived :) Now to wait for the Kannon to arrive and one or two of the other lots to come up before deciding when to buy the rest from Oracle Games.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 05 Nov 2005, 10:01

I now have my third Kannon :) and a copy of 2nd Edition Codex: Orks (£2 including P&P! and it's in great condition :) )

Now all I've got to do is wait for one more auction to end and buy the rest from GW/GW MO/Oracle Games :)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 06 Nov 2005, 19:37

OK, I missed the other auction, although compared to Oracle prices the person who won paid a little over the odds for their 20 Orks. As it was (at £17.78+P&P) I was getting them about 1p per model cheaper than from Oracle. Never mind.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 29 Jan 2006, 21:59

I'm quite literally the only one posting in here, but I've now placed my order :) 3 boxes of Orks and one box of Goblins will soon be winging their way from Birmingham to Manchester to complete the 2000pt Waagh!

The Ork army is actually different now - I kept changing my mind as to what to include! I've already got the spare Nob with slugga and choppa, and I've got one with Power Claw for my "Vs Armour" tweaked list :) Plus I'll be converting my spare warboss to have a claw.

Total save: just under £9, but that includes postage :)

Now, if only I didn't need to re-use a few of my un-used Loota Boys as normal Shoota Boyz...

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 29 Jan 2006, 22:31

Following what you mentioned in the other thread.

Are you a player that picks an army from the list's or a player that makes an army around the models you like. :?:

I've been looking at the GW website and my WD's at the Space Marine models and there are several that i wouldn't mind having a bash at making. Trouble is they probably aren't the first things an army would need. The Rhino for instance caught my eye as did the Vindicator, ignoring the cost for a moment i'm guessing that they wont be at the top of a SM players wish list. I guess it's the treadhead in me coming out. :P

I have a couple of Tac squads and another couple of Termie squads with about one squad of scouts in support and that's it. So i suppose assault and heavy support should be next. :? I'll have to wait and see what they say at the GW shop on Tuesday, keeping in mind that they will try to get me to buy the most expensive things. :lol:

How large an army do you need for the Vets night then, is 1500pts the standard value or do they go for something smaller because of the time restriction.
"No Pity! No Remorse! No Beer!"

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 30 Jan 2006, 09:12

You manage to get a 1500pt battle in on a Veterans Night. It isn't necessarily a full battle, it depends how quick you deploy and do turns, but it's normally a good four turns :)

As for the army, I kinda pick to the list but with a theme I like. My original 1500pts had Lootas and a Looted Predator in because I liked the idea of Lootas and me and TGSC had an old-style Predator (2nd edition, not first!), plus I got to convert my own :) My updated list has gone more for the "from the list" approach, because Lootas aren't worth the points with Orky accuracy. I am going for a Boyz Rush/Dread Stomp army, though - three kans, one dreadnought, two large mobs of sluggas (well, 20ish - one with Burnas, one with Rokkits), one of Shootas and then just run forwards and hope some of it survives long enough to cause the huge amounts of combat damage that orks are good at :D

The grots from goblins are more of a 'because I like to convert them' choice, though :)

Good luck with the GW Staffer - hopefully he'll realise you're not as gullable as the kids :D

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 10 Feb 2006, 12:02

The bits from Oracle Games are now here :) They actually delivered them yesterday, but I was in lecture. Ordered on the 29th, delivered by the 8th - not bad when they say five to ten working days.

Now to hope that GW Manchester have my shop MO in and then I can recalculate my army, make sure I'm creating the right number of each thing and start building!