GW making poor quality models at expensive prices

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

GW making poor quality models at expensive prices

Postby TGSC at 01 Sep 2005, 10:45

From another forum, someone linked to a photo of a sprue of orc models.

These models were clip-together and shields were moulded on to bodies. There was much debate as to whether they were going to replace regiments (nooo) be cheap filler models (maybe) or form part of the new 7thEd WHFB box (not too good either).

Visited the page again recently, and GW legal have forced him to take the photo down :x why I don't know, I think it was just a photo taken at a games day, I could be wrong though.

However, worse news, from the GW France site, here, look at the releases of " CLIP-GUERRIERS DU CHAOS", " CLIP-ORQUES" etc.

The description for the orcs reads:

"Contient 4 Orques faciles à monter. Ces figurines sont parfaites pour augmenter une unité déjà existante ou pour en débuter une nouvelle."

Someone might be able to translate better than me but its something like

Contains 4 easy mount (?-fix?) orcs. The figures are perfect to augment an already existing unit or to start a new one.

Yes folks, thats 10E for single pose, clip together, shield moulded orcs. Four of them.

FOUR? FOR TEN EUROS? Thats about £6.80 at the mo, works out at £30 for 19 orcs (how many you get in an £18 regiment)

This is rubbish :evil:

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: GW making poor quality models at expensive prices

Postby IBBoard at 01 Sep 2005, 15:38

10Euro for those? woah, GW is pushing the boat out with overpriced models! And clipped together will be aimed more at the kids, so imagine the poor parent's pockets as well.

I think Google Translate says it better though :D
Contains 4 Orcs easy to go up. These figurines is perfect to increase an already existing unit or to begin a news from it.

Don't know how GW Legal have managed to force him to take down a pic though, unless he gained it illegally somehow. If it was taken at Games Day then it can legitimately come under "Rumours", which they allow in the IP policy.

They've got the same for the 40K Orks as well, though. They look fairly similar, but the arm above the head is definately different :\

[edit] Actually, you can't release Games Day pics unless GW have written about it in White Dwarf or similar:
UNRELEASED MATERIAL

While we know that it is always cool to see new material before it arrives on the shelves, we would ask you not to publish, or link to other sites that publish, any material that has not been officially reported or released by Games Workshop. This does not apply to small pieces of conjecture written in your "rumors" section (unless of course said "rumors" are akin to publishing unreleased material).

which kinda sucks.

Oh, and moving to the General GW area :)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 04 Sep 2005, 07:49

IBBoard wrote:[edit] Actually, you can't release Games Day pics unless GW have written about it in White Dwarf or similar:
UNRELEASED MATERIAL

While we know that it is always cool to see new material before it arrives on the shelves, we would ask you not to publish, or link to other sites that publish, any material that has not been officially reported or released by Games Workshop. This does not apply to small pieces of conjecture written in your "rumors" section (unless of course said "rumors" are akin to publishing unreleased material).

which kinda sucks.

Oh, and moving to the General GW area :)

They're on the GW France site as upcoming models. I still think its off that your not allowed to post photos of stuff they display at Games Day etc. I'm sure some of the stuff that GW tries to enforce/requests is legal BS.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 04 Sep 2005, 08:26

It quite probably is - if they've made it viewable by the 'public' then I'd have thought you could publish photos unless they had signs up saying "no photos allowed". The catching point is whether it counts as an "announcement to the public" when it's in a ticket only area.

But if they're the models that are being shown on the GW France website then that's officially reported and released. Can you get hold of they guy who had the pics?
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 27 Sep 2005, 20:36

OK, they released WD in the shop tonight (40 gamers, all ready to play 40K - good place really!) and the new plastics are in the releases. £6 for four, yes FOUR of those really really bad quality clip-together Orks. No-one seemed very impressed with them and they all thought it was aimed for nag-ability. How can GW end up looking like anything but an even more stupidly over-priced hobby?!?

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 28 Sep 2005, 14:27

The consensus at our club was they are aimed at the younger market/people weaning themselves off glue sniffing. The price is total BS though, £5 used to get you 8 single pose orcs I think, the regiment boxes are cheaper, despite also being expensive

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 28 Sep 2005, 18:37

8? possibly, I think the smaller models like Gobbos, Halberdiers and High Elves used to come in 10 per box. They did Brettonian knights towards the end as well, but you only got two or three of those!

Regiments/Squad boxes are cheaper. You get 16 Orks for £18 in a mob box, or you get 4 new 'clip-together' boys for £6, so £18 would only get you 12 and it'd cost you £24 to get the same size mob! It's rediculous, you used to get metal troopers for £1.75 each (three for a fiver) now they've got low quality plastics at about the same price. I checked the GW forums yesterday but didn't see any comments about them - have people not seen them yet? or are GW just hushing up their forums members?

solidzaku

Postby solidzaku at 22 Dec 2005, 18:55

Man, imagine how us Yanks feel? We have to go through $50-60 per Rhino! (that's about 22 euro more or less) And official paints? Let's just say we choose different alternatives. I've even seen some pretty desperate guys thief a model just to make plaster casts to mold their own... don't ask me how he got his hands on molten lead :shock:

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 30 Dec 2005, 18:19

I've just been over to Colorado - most of the prices you have over there are far cheaper than us! Paperback GW novels are about the same price in dollars as they are in pounds (so £6.99 is about $6.99 plus tax). Hardbacks are a bit more expensive ($19.99 for a Dan Abnet novel that I think is more around the £16 mark (I think) but that still makes it cheaper over there.

The £18 Razorback is $35, which is £20.30 at the moment, so it's not too bad. One downside that America has is that for once the models are made in the UK, so they've got to be shipped over there and they're local over here, so very little distribution cost for us.

eBay is always a good bet ;) and I'm going to try to move the old version of the GW paints (they're still available over here). Also, try looking on the Internet for discount stores. I've found somewhere that does 20-25% discounts in the UK!

Lord Hawthorn

Postby Lord Hawthorn at 03 Jan 2006, 13:10

I agree, you should see what the chaps over at bugmans are saying about this:

http://forum.bugmansbrewery.com/another ... t8562.html