IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

GW authors - best and worst

Postby IBBoard at 08 Aug 2005, 13:41

There are too many to make a full poll for this, but who is your favourite GW author? (Black Library books is what I'm thinking about, plus the GW Novels from before the days of Black Library).

Jack Yeovil (author of the Genevieve the Vampire books and several Dark Future novels, for those who remember the old stuff) has to be my favourite, although Brian Craig (the Orfeo trillogy and Pawns of Chaos that I've read) is also very good, as is Ian Watson (I'm reading his 1990 novel "Inquisitor" at the moment)

Authors I don't like are Robin D Laws (author of Liar's Peak most recently - the Angelika Fleischer novels). They're still good novels, but I find his style of writing too slow and ponderous - he describes every little thing in excessive detail instead of getting on with the plot.

So who are other people's favourite and disliked authors? or who hasn't even ready any GW fiction?

[update] I've just been in to town to the Games Workshop store and noticed another author who is very good (again, Warhammer) - Bill King, author of the Gotrek books. I've read one book of his (Giantslayer) and it was very well written :)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

RE: GW authors - best and worst

Postby MadMaffMan at 02 Sep 2005, 21:04

Haha....i've found the correct thread this time. :oops:

My favourite WH40K author has to be Ian Watson, i love his book Space Marine. It was the first GW book that i read and i loved it.
Others favs include Willaim King, his books are always easy and fun to read. And of course Graham McNeil is a top writer.

Hmmm authors who i dislike. Well i'm not to sure i like Gav Thorpes Last Chancers novels, i'm not sure about the first person point of view. I used to love Dan Abnett's books but just lately they bore me rigid i'm affraid, they all seem like the same story and one book blends into another. Maybe thats the effect he is after. ???

Just lately i prefer to read the background books more than the novels. Does that mean i'm going beardy. :D
"No Pity! No Remorse! No Beer!"

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: GW authors - best and worst

Postby IBBoard at 19 Oct 2005, 10:58

I've just read Dan Abnett's Ravenor and after getting into it (the prologue was a bit strange and confusing - people being called by surname when only their first name had been mentioned before amongst other things) I like his style in that series. I've got Double Eagle to read as well, so hopefully that'll be in a similar style :)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)