IX A.R.C A company in need of a chapter

Sandwichwarrior

IX A.R.C A company in need of a chapter

Postby Sandwichwarrior at 09 Jul 2005, 04:38

I'm starting a "Mechinized" SM army based on the German "Fire Brigades" of WW II. The Fire Brigades were small contingents of armored vehicles (Tanks and APCs) whos purpose was to move up and down the lines reinforcing besieged units and exploiting gaps in the enemy line.

IX A.R.C.
The 9th Armored Response Company

Now I'v already got a host of ideas for this company's composition and background but there's a major stumbling block they don't have a chapter to belong to.

Now i've considered creating my own chapter but i'd really rather use something with an established history i can build from.

The company itself is very mech heavy and with the exception of 2 squads of forward observers (scouts) is entirely mounted/mechanized. The troops are couragous (true grit) but Aspire to glory as "Tankers" and "treadheads" are looked down on by the other members of thier chapter.

I'm looking for suggestions (chapter/background) and feedback, i can also post the army list on request.

omegoku

RE: IX A.R.C A company in need of a chapter

Postby omegoku at 10 Jul 2005, 14:00

I cant think of many tank heavy marine armies.. they are generally strike forces..

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 10 Jul 2005, 17:22

Yeah, the normal Space Marine army is very much a strike force - even their fleets of ships are usually more strike force orientated. The only exception I can think of at the moment is the Imperial Fists, who are siege experts, but even so I don't think they're particularly tank heavy.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Sandwichwarrior

Postby Sandwichwarrior at 10 Jul 2005, 17:32

weather a chapter is already mech heavy isn't really a problem for me, (i can think of story reasons to explain it) the main thing is chapter personality and history. Namely only minor divergence from the Astartes, and the couargeous trait. i'm actually considering the Ultramarines but i'm reluctent to be labeled just another smurf. There enough of those playing in my area already.

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 10 Jul 2005, 20:50

The Iron Hands (I think) might be a good start, they're quite heavily into bionics/mechanics, I think they're a bit more treaddy than the rest. White Scars are nearly all mounted but more like fast cavalry rather than an armoured company. Have a look into the CSM Iron Warriors chapter as well, they might have some pre-heresy info knocking about.

Sandwichwarrior

Postby Sandwichwarrior at 12 Jul 2005, 02:53

I think i've narrowed it down to 2 chapters, Salamanders, or Crimson Fists.

Salamanders, are certainly look good and i have some great ideas for conversions.

That said I Really like the background of the Fists, and the fact that they are a depleted chapter gives me a lot of liscense for unorthodox organization and a reason they would rely so heavily on tanks and other "auxillaries"

omegoku

Postby omegoku at 12 Jul 2005, 09:57

Salamaders are know for their static defense and low initiative.. id go with the fists..

SisterHelios
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby SisterHelios at 13 Jul 2005, 03:17

That is true The Crimson Fists are a good way to go,but the Imperial Fists are just as good,and siege warfare would be perfect for a Tank heavy Army,lots of Las-cannons and demolishers cannons. but it would still work with either Fist army since the Crimson Fists were once Imperial Fists to begin with...waaaaay back when. :D

Corporal Harland

Postby Corporal Harland at 19 Jul 2005, 09:13

I'd say iron hands :idea:
but if it's out of salamaders and crimson fists then crimson fists :wink:

*merged by IBBoard*