Ogre Kingdoms - Love It Or Lothe It?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: Ogre Kingdoms - Love It Or Lothe It?

Postby IBBoard at 09 Nov 2004, 12:46

It is still an advance order thing, but an army box is available - http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/st...13001&orignav=9

So what do people think? An army of Orges, some goblin slave things and some even larger Yhetis? I think GW could have done better. Yeah, the models look good, but an entire army of Ogres is stretching it a little in some areas.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 09 Nov 2004, 19:35

i dont think its going to work, they kinda tried it with chaos and it worked with the beastmen but deamons were pushing it a bit. Ogres are taking it too far, seems to beardy to me and a bit limited.

I;m not really a fan on the models from what I can see either

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 24 Nov 2004, 19:44

They've got some better pics in WD300. The ogres look different to the normal ones, flabbier and more chaotic (obviously!) but I'm definately not keen on them :\

On a related note, golden-throne.com has a cartoon about GW leaving Chaos Dwarves etc at the side lines and basically screwing over anyone who collected them :D
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 26 Nov 2004, 08:43

The Ogre Kingdoms section is now up on the GW UK website.
They look kinda mongolian - kinda fitting now that I've seen where it is with the new map given away in issue 300 :) full world map!

omegoku

Postby omegoku at 21 May 2005, 21:07

they look really stupid, guess they are meant to...

they do seem to be a bit of a beardy army.. and are really similar to orcs anyway.. seems like a waste..

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 23 May 2005, 10:45

Similar to Orcs? how so? They rely on muscle, yeah, but they're a hell of a lot tougher and don't have the large mobs. Suppose they do still get Gnobblars in place of Goblins (along with their couple of odd war machines) but I'd have thought they'd have played differently.

omegoku

Postby omegoku at 24 May 2005, 20:53

i mean in apperance generally, big muscular guys supported by small weak guys.. prefer combat over shooting.. they just feel very similar

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 24 May 2005, 21:48

Maybe a little, but I think the unit strength of the Ogres would make them behave differently, and the fact that you can use fear as more of a weapon with them. At the very basic level, yeah they have similarities, but I think GW (with the exception of maybe the Gnobblars) have made another fairly distinct army.

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 29 May 2005, 09:11

I don't have a problem with them being distinct, I just don't think they were particularly needed, and they're not particularly well rounded, they just seem like a particularly polished version of an armies list someone might send into Citadel Journal (is that still going now or has it broken up?)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 30 May 2005, 15:30

As far as I know Citadel Journal got replaced by the various Fanatic mags - the same thing, only separated per-game and with some more company input instead of just gamer articles. Most of the Fanatic mags seem to be tailing off, though.
As for them being a polished army, yeah, suppose they do seem a bit like a "I want to include lots of Ogres in an army, what kind of 'house rules' army can I come up with?" list taken to the extreme!