Is Your Army Stronger In 4th Ed 40K?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: Is Your Army Stronger In 4th Ed 40K?

Postby IBBoard at 28 Oct 2004, 20:33

Bought the 4th Edition rule book a few weeks ago, read through the now two month old White Dwarf article (I've managed to get really behind with my mags!) and skimmed the book a bit and I was wondering whether people thought their armies were more or less powerful.

The new rules seem like good changes in most places - either sensible clarifications or alterations that make it more like a swirling fight (more close fire fights with better rapid fire and more destructive combat with everyone within 2" getting all attacks!).

I think the Orks will benefit a lot with my style of play - better rapid fire and everyone within 2" having full attacks means a full mob of slugga boys will be hellish destructive *drools at the amount of dive he could roll!* Although there is the downside that Grots no longer act as a perfect shield (on leadership test and the enemy can choose to target my Orks) I think the general destructiveness of combat should make up for it for me :)

If you want to see the changes from 3rd Ed, go to the 40K section of the GW site and click the "Warhammer 40,000 Downloadable Rules" link.

(Sorry for linking that to the page not the document, but that'd be theft!)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 29 Oct 2004, 04:59

havent got

I may check it out later although I'm not sure what my army is like

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 30 Oct 2004, 19:21

huh? whats with the pic?
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 03 Nov 2004, 19:39

havent got the foggiest

visual humour <_<

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 03 Nov 2004, 22:01

too damned subtle for me :D

omegoku

Postby omegoku at 21 May 2005, 21:19

you can still use them as a shield, just not as a perfect barrier....

anyway.. my marines have certainly changed thanks to the new rulesa and codex.. i can now field a far more mobile force.. 2 tactical squads with 2 plasma rifles each, both in rhino.. now they can unleash some serious bolter death with the rapid fire rules..

My nids have been crippled.. everyone now gets rules that were tyranid exclusive.. plus there are no rapid fire guns to make up for it.. hopefully the new codex can help this, they look so cool!

My tau are now a bit more mobile thanks to the rapid fire rules but are hurt even more by combat..

all in all i think the new rules are a huge improvement.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 23 May 2005, 10:52

Yeah, they sound like an improvement. When I move back to City Center Manchester in July I'll try to get back into it (5 min walk to the shop!)

Rapid fire rhino squads are good, but the new version has removed the really quick assault option (you can't get out and charge any more), but the new rapid fire rules probably more than make up for that!

What rules have people picked up that only Nids used to have? Can't think of anything off the top of my head, but then I've never played with/against Nids!

omegoku

Postby omegoku at 24 May 2005, 20:58

"Shoot the big ones" and everyone within 2" gets all their attacks were both 'nid exclusives

The rhino assault squads didnt really suit the style of marines anyway, bolter death just FEELS better

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 24 May 2005, 21:52

Ah, didn't realise those were Nid rules. It does make sense that they're full combat rules for all though, and it still leaves Nids with Fleet of Claw (I think) and severe amounts of gribbly-ness, plus the huge hulking monsters that scare the living daylights out of half of the armies and mangle the other half with a single claw!

Can't remember at the moment, but what are the rolling reservers rules? do the nids always regenerate mobs, or is that just for certain scenarios (like drop pods for Marines)?

omegoku

Postby omegoku at 25 May 2005, 23:14

no thats in the alternative assault army.. but the new codex is out soon supposedly allowing for 6 monstrous creaures plus small guys for normal sized army, which is nice..

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 26 May 2005, 19:08

Ah, yeah, that'd be where I saw it, alternative army examples in WD, including two nasty looking ones filled with either lots of large gribblies or even-more-lots of small ones :shock: