Space Marine Chapter Names

solidzaku

RE: Space Marine Chapter Names

Postby solidzaku at 31 Jan 2006, 22:48

SisterHelios wrote:Anyone truely have any out of the Normal Space Marines chapter names,personally mine are called the Azure Tears

Do you mean creating your own chapter for yourself? Or choosing a preexisting chapter for your own use? If the answer is the first one, my Imperial Guard team is named the Dom Tropen Corps. If it's the second, however, I just choose the Angels Sanguine.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 01 Feb 2006, 09:45

In TT? or are you on DoW (what with being a RelicForums member)? Because we're talking real 40K here :)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

My two penn'orth

Postby Simguinus at 05 Mar 2006, 19:35

A couple that have been missed: (witness my anal retentiveness :) )

The Scythes of the Emperor (consumed by Hive Fleet Kraken)
Ravagers (the Chapter which carries out Draco's exterminatus order in Inquisitor).
Storm Lords
Terror Tigers (an obscure Chapter mentioned in Harlequin
Angels Encarmine
Angels Vermilion
Iron Hands (as well as the Iron Claws, their Chapter symbol was an upraised hand, palm-out)
and
the Rainbow Warriors.
Ego Ordinis Mallei Inquisitor, per auctoritate Digamma, Decimatio, Duodecies, ultimum exterminatum planetae [insert here] cum extrema celeritate impero.

(roughly; 'I, Ordo Malleus Inquisitor, hereby authorise Death, Destruction, Doom, the total extermination of the planet "blah" with the most extreme and imperative speed.')

In a galaxy of a million worlds, what does the death of one matter?

Simguinus, Chief Historitor

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/catalog/p ... e_id=66353

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

Postby Simguinus at 05 Mar 2006, 19:42

And indeed, even I was off, having managed to miss the Silver Skulls out, despite them being in omegaku's signature. D'oh!
Ego Ordinis Mallei Inquisitor, per auctoritate Digamma, Decimatio, Duodecies, ultimum exterminatum planetae [insert here] cum extrema celeritate impero.

(roughly; 'I, Ordo Malleus Inquisitor, hereby authorise Death, Destruction, Doom, the total extermination of the planet "blah" with the most extreme and imperative speed.')

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 06 Mar 2006, 09:07

Ahhh, Iron Claws. I thought the badge in DoW didn't quite look right for Iron Hands. I'll have to check whether the file name says Iron Claws or Hands.

Also, the edit button does work ;)
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

SisterHelios
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby SisterHelios at 02 Jun 2006, 22:26

Well for another Chapter I am Doing I am going to Call them the Sons of Sigmar,Yes I know its a Fantasy based name,but hey I liked the name,though the Uniform colors I am having an Issue with trying to think one up.

caelien
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

46%

Postby caelien at 06 Jul 2006, 11:22

I think the person who started this thread didn't think things through, but seeming as people are still responding to it, let's get a bit organised. Has anyone created their own chapter, and what have you called it? Perhaps a colour scheme as well?

As well as Black Templars and Dark Angels, I have created my own Codex chapter, the Dark Guard. The colour scheme is dark blue armour with dark green shoulder pads and helmets. The chapter symbol is a shield with two crossed swords behind it, and a skull on the shield

There you go, a bit of coherency. Ithankyou

andygorn
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

26%

Postby andygorn at 20 Mar 2007, 23:53

The Scythes Of The Emperor Chapter is still alive and kicking and are nearly back up to full strength.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 21 Mar 2007, 19:04

According to Wikipedia, Warseer forums and Relic News Forums all seem to have them as formerly destroyed (not the most reliable sources, but GW tends not to publish deep fluff online).

Warseer also mentions that GW has now changed the fluff so that they weren't destroyed, but managed to escape. Wikipedia kinda hints at the same thing too.

My guess is that GW wanted lots of chapters to pad out Insignium Astartes or something and thought it'd be easier to recover a chapter by changing the fluff than coming up with a new one (or letting people potentially play a 'dead' chapter). Why add when you can recycle? :D

caelien
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

46%

Postby caelien at 24 Mar 2007, 12:22

I'm sure it was mentioned in a piece of fluff that the Scythes were ALMOST wiped out, this kinda tells me that the Scythes may have been doing some serious reconstruction work. The same happened to the Angels of Vengeance, they had to recruit heavily and weren't able to see action for a century.

If you are playing as Scythes, the Faithful Unto Death drawback would be a pretty accurate trait, see the Chapter Traits section in Codex Space Marines

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

Postby Simguinus at 24 Mar 2007, 18:23

The Scythes of the Emperor were first mentioned as being mostly consumed by Hive Fleet Kraken (hereafter HFK) in the rulebook for Advanced Space Crusade (hereafter ASC). Space Marine by Ian Watson also mentions the Scythes in this context . ASC's box art featured Scout unit badge colours and chapter designs for the Scythes. At some unknown point long after ASC vanished, but probably around about the time of the 40k 2nd Ed 'nids Codex, the Scythes were completely eaten by HFK...whether this has been changed by GW is open to debate, but most fanon sources agree that the Scythes are now effectively gone. Another chapter believed to have been eaten by HFK are the Lamenters - possibly as a result of their punishment for participating in the Badab Rising. The lamenters are mentioned as eaten utterly by ASC and in Space Marine, and as having been rendered incommunicado by the Shadow in The Warp in the Kryptmann short story in WD 131....

Many Chapters have had to undergo significant rebuildsl the Imperial Fists were unable to fight for 19 years after they fell into the trap set on Sebastus IV by Perturabo, for example, and the Emperor's Children had to rebult virtually from scratch by Fulgrim before the Great Crusade.

andygorn
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

26%

Postby andygorn at 03 Apr 2007, 09:16

Yeah the Lamenters sacrificed a company to get a load of civilians off planet (brave, but foolish).
However, they didn't lose the whole Chapter, just their monastery / home planet, however many casualties and this specific Company.
Acording to GW, effectively, yes, the Scythes and Lamenters aren't very functioning at the moment (e.g. in terms of being even a demi-Chapter, or whatever).

However, I've always liked their background, so have written some Scythe background stuff and have done them an army history (post-HFK) and they're basically being re-built at a pretty fast rate.
Maybe it's too fast for other Chapters to consider doing, but I reckon that the Imperium's a big place and has got penty of tech lying around to recontruct them with.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 03 Apr 2007, 14:32

They can speed up the Space Marine organ-creation process, but that's partially what causes mutations. Speed it up too much and you risk having a deviant chapter that is purged as diabolus extremis or similar.

I still suspect that things like "the Lamenters didn't get wiped out, it was just large losses" are GW re-writing the old 1st/2nd edition fluff that I Simguinus is going off (WD131 is certainly quite old in terms of TT editions now) to some new version that leaves them with a wider variety of chapters so that people aren't just going for the core vanilla chapters.

Unionjack
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

4%

Postby Unionjack at 12 Apr 2007, 04:10

This MAY sound like a load of sh*t (ok so i'm not sure on swearin/etc. in the forum, first post after all). Anyways, when I picked up 40k on a trip to England a couple years ago, I bought the SM collector's guide and the GW catalog, and spent my train ride back to London brainstorming color schemes and chapter names. Anyways, to cut to the point, I devised the Blood Ravens about 4-5 years ago. I know, like I said it sounds like crap, but I kid you not. They had the same color armor (dark red), with black trim around the shoulders, on one knee, and on the chest eagle, but there was no bone on them. Hehe, the first guy I ever painted was done in that scheme, I did all the black (the only color other than red and boltgun, i really sucked then) with a sharpie, I can post a pic if you still don't belive me, it's an old school SM with a missle launcher.

[merge post 1] Oh ya, if it's a list of chapter names you want, I think I might know quite a few of them, b/c ever sense I began I have been searching for a chapter to call my own (hell I have a nice size army, atleast 1500+, all sprayed black). Anyways, I've scrutinized the complete list pretty heavily.

BTW not to get off topic, but if anyone has suggestions for my chapter colors... I was thinking I should do Blood Ravens (for obvious reasons, see above), but I'm not sure. Originally I went with Dark Angels, and of course they rereleased them a week or two ago. After seeing the AMAZING angels/vengeance conversion on GW's site, I'm starting to think about DA with black robes instead of white, MAYBE switching the colors of Death/Ravenwing (black and cream, respectively). *gasp for air*, anyways, anything you guys contribute would be much appreciated.

[merge post 2] Oh ya, I was thinking MAYBE salamanders too, but I must admit the Xavier model these days is kinda... weak... I painted a mock up one and he looked pretty good, I even painted some nice fire on his knee, but I thought maybe if I use a different chapter I can paint blue fire easy enough (would that look any good on say, Blood Ravens?)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 12 Apr 2007, 07:09

Firstly, posts merged. If you want to add things within a short period of your previous post (there's no definite guideline, but four and eight minutes are definitely "short periods") then please use the edit button.

Secondly, if you want suggestions about your chapter then please start a new post.

As for the Blood Ravens, what was your chapter badge? The Blood Ravens aren't just "dark red with black trim", they're dark red with bone shoulder pads and company coloured trim. It just so happens that Dawn of War and most of the people who then paint their own Blood Ravens then stick to the Dawn of War scheme. After all, the Blood Angels are blood red with black trim and (on some of the newer re-paints) black eagles.

Previous