Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: Best Game

Postby IBBoard at 05 Apr 2004, 13:43

I'd probably have to agree.
Warhammer is a good game, and Mordheim is good for a quick skirmish, but the scale, technology and gotic-future background of 40K make it my favourite :)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

omegoku

Postby omegoku at 21 May 2005, 21:34

definately 40k.. the background is the best i know, it makes other fantasy universe seem boring.. middle earth, star wars, etc are all crap compared to the Imperium, praise for the emperor of man

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 23 May 2005, 21:38

I'm not so sure about Middle Earth, I think thats still a very impressive fantasy world and Tolkein was an amazing author (although the Silmarilion was heavy going!) but I agree that Star Wars isn't anywhere near as good. I think most of the better stuff has been added later by other authors doing stories in the universe (I have no idea how official they are for SW)

My girlfriend has seen the Warhammer World map, though, and complains that its a bit of a cop-out because they've basically taken the real world and distorted it slightly, taking the local population at a recognisable time in history and calling them an army, instead of making an entire new world :D
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

omegoku

Postby omegoku at 24 May 2005, 21:10

fantasy is just one planet, i remember hearing its a daemon world somewhere in 40k universe.. middle earth is a very interesting universe but 40k is a lot cooler..

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 24 May 2005, 22:00

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :? Warhammer being a daemon world would be a bit of a push IMO. The worlds are so similar, and both contain humans, that they don't seem to mesh properly. There probably is some room to crowbar it in there somewhere - something about the Old Ones and their inter-planetary movements or whatever.

Librarian Rannos

Postby Librarian Rannos at 25 May 2005, 07:33

40k'cause I'm a fan and SW cause I'm also a fan!However I believe that 40k is the best and probably it will be hard,very hard for another game to become the new emperor of tabletop games.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 25 May 2005, 12:03

Both Warhammer and 40K have been improving in recent years, and the number of authors doing official novels seems to have gone up as well. It can only be a good thing :) as long as GW don't get stuck for races and forced to bring out more Ogre Kingdom style armies *remembers old Fishermen of Nippon army or something similar*

omegoku

Postby omegoku at 25 May 2005, 23:02

well you think of it like this a human or eldar homeworld where the other race got stranded, chaos was freed and technology took a nose dive.. you left with feudal society of warhammer who believe in a saviour from the skys...

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 25 May 2005, 23:28

*removes duplicate post*
Boy that took some time to do, the site is really reacting slow at the moment. Is it slow for you too?
I suppose it could be seen like that, but there is still something about them to me that seems to make them distinct places. Although considering how they used to have rules for cross-over battles in 1st or 2nd Ed 40K then it isn't suprising if some fluff does exist for it :D

omegoku

Postby omegoku at 26 May 2005, 17:52

it was acting really slowly, hence the multiple posts... seems ok now

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 26 May 2005, 19:03

Yeah, I set up a support ticket just after I posted that, and they said they rebalanced the load on the server, although from how it suddenly went from several minute load times to near instant, I'm guessing they killed a rogue process as well :)

Corporal Harland

Postby Corporal Harland at 19 Jul 2005, 08:35

Probably warhammer cause i'm getting bored with 40k and the new lustria thing sounds good