Best Warhammer 40,000 Army

black templar

RE: Best Warhammer 40,000 Army

Postby black templar at 20 Mar 2004, 05:15

i have to say space marines.i have played with dark eldar before.i lost most games! :( now that i have changed to black templar space marines i have one most games. :D Second would probably be the tau. :clap:

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 05 Apr 2004, 13:42

What are we voting on here?
Image-wise I'd have to say Marines, Guard, Daemon Hunters or Nids.
Gaming-wise I'd probably say Orks. They're the only army I've played and I love rushing forwards with very few specific tactics, the idea of not shooting much and just swarming into combat with a big Waaaggghhh!
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Anny

Postby Anny at 15 May 2004, 15:02

The Emperor wrote:Gaming-wise I'd probably say Orks. They're the only army I've played and I love rushing forwards with very few specific tactics, the idea of not shooting much and just swarming into combat with a big Waaaggghhh!

Theres a hell of a lot of shooting in mine, when i'm using the normal list or the Death Skullz list, theres a hell of a lot of shooting. Lots of combat still, providing my 6 Kans can make it there :D

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 15 May 2004, 19:14

6 Kans? nice :D
I suppose you can have lots of shooting in an Ork army - mobs of 30 shootas with big shootas! I'd just never rely on it with Orkish accuracy. Much better to take advantage of the WS4 :)
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Logan_Grimnar

Postby Logan_Grimnar at 27 Jun 2004, 17:20

I like space wolves and cadians equally, but seein as space wolves are lumped under marines in the vote, i have to say guard. Space wolves look so cool with all the viking imagery and what not, and they are awesome in close combat, but they are a challenging army to use well, and i like them for that.

Guard-wise, i think the huge armies with the massed ranks of troopers and cool tanks look amazing, and they shoot almost anything to shreds.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 27 Jun 2004, 19:56

Looks like I'm not getting an answer as to what type of "better", so I'll throw my vote in now - the Orks are just taking the lead :)
But I have to agree, the viking style of the Space Wolves looks cool, as does the massed ranks/tanks/Starship Trooper appeal of the Guard. There's something in most armies that makes them look great in their own unique way.

Librarian Rannos

Try playing against blood angels

Postby Librarian Rannos at 19 May 2005, 17:36

Have you guys ever heard anything about the Blood Angels and the Death Company?Have you ever played against someone who knows how to use them-fully?Do you know how easy it is to wipe out Tau,Imperial Guard with these guys?
Last edited by Librarian Rannos on 19 May 2005, 18:01, edited 1 time in total.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 19 May 2005, 18:01

Not played enough to face the Blood Angels, but I can see the Imperial Guard easily defeating them just as much as I can see them defeating the Imperial Guard. The Guardsmen will stand no chance against a Death Company, but face that same Death Company against a 'Tread-head' army full of tanks and they've had it!

Hold a Blood Angels army at long range and it's useless, let it get close to you and unless you have heavily armoured troops who can go toe-to-toe with them, then you've had it.

Librarian Rannos

Postby Librarian Rannos at 20 May 2005, 16:55

That's why I always have a devastator squad included in my army.Never leave home without it!!![I play blood angels].BTW I recently played against a TAU player.The idiot tried to destroy my Furioso dread and my Baal class predator.In the meantime my assault squads were getting to work...I don't understand one thing:why people focus on destroying all the special units of their opponets and let smaller units to kick their a*s...?

omegoku

Postby omegoku at 21 May 2005, 20:58

Best army? Space Marines for ease of use
Tyranids for flexibilty and making your opponent wet himself in fear
Tau for their cool style and big guns..
Orks for the sheer fun of screaming Waaaaagh! at your opponent

As for why ppl seem to get there ass kicked by smaller squads is because threat assessment can be difficult, especially vs a marine army where every squad is a useful addition to the force

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 23 May 2005, 09:10

omegoku wrote:Best army? Space Marines for ease of use
Tyranids for flexibilty and making your opponent wet himself in fear
Tau for their cool style and big guns..
Orks for the sheer fun of screaming Waaaaagh! at your opponent

Yeah, have to agree there :) Marines are probably easy to learn, but hard to master perfectly, Nids are full of gribbly-ness (especially the scary new models), Tau do have a nice new and sleek feel (not a favourite of mine though) and the Waaaaaagghhh! and the random oddities and mishaps that you used to get are the reason why I like my Orks :D Throw enough of them at it and it'll go down eventually!

omegoku wrote:As for why ppl seem to get there ass kicked by smaller squads is because threat assessment can be difficult, especially vs a marine army where every squad is a useful addition to the force

Yeah, the instant thought with a 5 man squad weighed up against a tank is that the 5 man squad can be taken down by bolters, but that a tank is generally impenetrable to small arms fire, so must be a bigger threat, despite the fact that it can actually be taken down with one successful hit instead of 5. That plus a tank usually carries more heavy weapons, and gives the impression of being more dangerous.

As for your army, Rannos, I was basing the "keep the army at arms reach" on it being a true-to-Death Company style army where the main force was Assault/Tactical based with few heavy weapons. But with a single squad of heavy weapons, your targets can be severly restricted by how well your opponent uses terrain and covering mobs (for orks) to hide his most important units.

Librarian Rannos

Postby Librarian Rannos at 25 May 2005, 07:15

Allright.That's because most of the games I've played were on some sort of valley and the "map" didn't had many covers for the enemy infantry.Basically it was flat terrain with some small covers and a ruined building.Therefore if you advance your assault squads and providing cover for them by scouts with snipers or devastators,termies with deep striking, a librarian with vortex of doom or by other tactical squads and tanks[get a baal class predator and/or a furioso dread and see what happens] you've got no problem considering that the death company is equipped with JUMPACKS.

Warning:This strategy isn't working when playing a game of 2000 pts or lower.I've won with this strategy only two times and in games of 2500 pts and 3000 pts. As for terrain with many coversI had only one experiance with such "map" and the opposite player[Tau] teared apart my my Blood Angels :cry:

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 25 May 2005, 11:57

Death Company with Jumppacks? those aren't the normal models I've seen :D plus would you trust a bloodthirsty nutter with that much fuel strapped to their back? :D

But you go for more of the 'snooker table' style battle fields, do you? They'll have their tactical challenges (like getting to the enemy without getting shot to death) but I think 40K works a little better with a bit more terrain now :) not too much so that your tanks have one route and one route only, but enough for tactical terrain hopping and capture :)

Librarian Rannos

Postby Librarian Rannos at 25 May 2005, 13:40

I didn't follow...what has 40k to do with snooker?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 25 May 2005, 13:56

a 'snooker table' battlefield is one thats just flat and green - the easiest to make but the one with the least tactical options :)

Next