IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: Fire Warrior

Postby IBBoard at 26 May 2005, 19:15

Yeah, I haven't heard any Guard voices yet, just the Tau intro (I'm not sure, but I get the impression of a memory that it didn't quite sound right for an alien race like the Tau). We'll see what the voices and architecture are like then I play the game again a bit in the summer :)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 29 May 2005, 09:13

I think there were some complaints in the reviews that the graphics and sounds were a bit shaky, as was the power balance of the weapons.

I saw Empire Earth II in gamestation, didn't even know they'd released one. Apparently thats not very good either, and they seem to have changed the playing/resources system alot. Playing the old one alot now though. :D

Librarian Rannos

Postby Librarian Rannos at 29 May 2005, 09:25

That's a little bit of topic.This thread is about fire warrior not pc games in general[that's what I think anyway].

Now for the FW...the balance of wepons is good but that's the only think that's good in that game.The sound is bad,music's bad,graphics are also bad.The scenario is relatively good but it's al about 24 hours of the main character's life.
As I said before this game is for TAU fanatics only and perhaps for those who want to own everything that has to do with 40k no matter the quality...

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 30 May 2005, 15:33

I'm sure its worth it to anyone who likes FPS games at 99p though :D comparatively priced against a full price game, even if it only gave you a few hours of gaming, it'd probably work out better value for money!
As for it being about 24 hours of his life, if anything that way makes sense to me. Why extend it when a mission is only normally going to be short? The best FPS missions are in-and-out missions done quickly, some FPS games that do lots of little short missions spread over time seem to have less closeness between missions (but still the structure and story line to carry it)
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Librarian Rannos

Postby Librarian Rannos at 30 May 2005, 16:55

Yeah but playing a character for his 24 hours of his life means that you'll never care for your fellow warriors since they want be able to help you later on.For example have you ever played Repuplic commando?You tend to care about your comrades not just because they are useful but also because after the first tier of missions you have an emotional background with them,they are your pod-brothers and probably they have saved your ass more than once[especially if your playing in hard difficulty in which they are invalluable].Therefore the scenario of Firewarrior sucks when considering the backgound story:you're Kais a Tau firewarrior with no previous action and a silly TAU weapon-welcome to your nightmare which is full of bullsh*t...

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 31 May 2005, 20:33

Now remember I've not played this beyond the tutorial :D

Surely as a fire warrior on a training mission, he would be working on his own and so wouldn't have many fellow warriors. Most of the FPS games I've played don't have fellow warriors, or if they do then they don't do much (Unreal Tournament, some classics like Duke Nukem 3D, don't remember much in Medal of Honour). Sounds like it's more a single-character FPS than a war-zone FPS

omegoku

Postby omegoku at 31 May 2005, 21:04

there is some tau wandering about in the first battle but, you cant really help them.. but its just a fps not a squad game.. mebbe for fw 2?

Librarian Rannos

Postby Librarian Rannos at 01 Jun 2005, 07:44

Whatever.Just my opinion:fellow warriors should try to stay alive by continuing together[and then you could issue to them commands or something]

omegoku

Postby omegoku at 01 Jun 2005, 10:40

that would have been cool..

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 01 Jun 2005, 11:43

yeah, probably a little over-ambitious for GWs ideas in their first FPS game though. Plus, how much do Fire Warriors work together on their first training missions? I know if it was a game about a Space Wolf initiate then you wouldn't expect help from companions because they do the tests alone.

Librarian Rannos

Postby Librarian Rannos at 02 Jun 2005, 09:20

Well it's their first battle.Shouldn't they try to survive?To do this [according to my reasoning]they must stick together and seperate only if they must reach different targets/goals.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 02 Jun 2005, 09:46

They should try ot survive, but it depends what the rules of their initiation are. As with the Space Wolves it may be possible that they truely have to test themselves by enduring the battle and reaching their goals alone.

Librarian Rannos

Postby Librarian Rannos at 05 Jun 2005, 00:21

Well it seems that we need either the TAU codex or someone who knows about TAU.On the other hand I must admit that I never liked those FPS in which you were alone.I prefer the squads.However I've seen a combination of playing alone and issuing orders[nothing special though] in a fps.The game I'm talking about is Star Wars:Battlefront.Check it out.

Oh,btw you could SW as an abreviation for Star Wars in the Slang and abreviation thread over at newbie cadet outpost.

Previous