IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: Grots Vs Necrons?

Postby IBBoard at 07 Mar 2003, 14:02

When I eventually get around to relearning the rules for 40K, I'm planning fighting against one of my friends Necrons. Only thing is, I don't know much about them. What I was wondering was whether Grots were good against them. Necron weapons seem anti-tank and anti-hard-person, but are they anti-massed ranks?
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Mirridi

Postby Mirridi at 10 May 2003, 10:07

If you want to fight Necrons DON'T USE GROTS! Any HTH army will die.
To kill Necrons take long range high firepower units, such as Chaos Havocs.
1. A Monolith's particle whip would decimate hordes of grots, as would it's guass flux arcs.. (D6 hits on anything within 12").
2. I saw scarab swarms rip apart a badly placed terminator squad.
3. I also saw a 1,500 point Necron army wipe 2,000 points of space wolves out of existence.

To win: Stay 36" plus away from Monoliths and Gods. Don't shoot them, as it would be a waste of time and effort. Pour all your firepower into Warriors first, then any destroyers/immortals. If you're feeling suicidal, use power weapons on the warriors. (i.e. No WBB rolls) If you have some sure-fire way to get a dred into close combat with a monolith/immortals, do so as dred close combat weapons are god against the metallic undead scum.

In short: Necrons are unbalanced. They are way to powerful. You just better hope that your opponent doesn't use them properly. **COUGH CHAIN TELEPORTATION IS ILLEGAL** Their only downfall is no 48" weapons and C'tan, Monoliths and Destroyers are point sinks
+++
Remember: Go through their codex, and tally up every model he has with 'Necron' in it's profile as a special rule. Kill 75% of those, and the army will phase out. Including the monoliths.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 14 May 2003, 21:16

So is there anything that Necron's can't kill easily? :D
Still ain't got round to the battle, I'll have to get back into things during my huge summer holidays of june through to september :)
But it does look like the Orks are stuck against Necrons.
"How to beat Necrons - stand back and shoot", what can't Orks do well - stand back and shoot :D
Not quite as bad, but I've been involved in a bring-and-battle at a local GW store and 3000pts of Necrons including one of each god easily won against over 6000pts of all sorts!
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Mirridi

Postby Mirridi at 16 May 2003, 18:19

The way I see it...A Iron Warriors army, with 2 defilers (additonal Havoc launchers) and 2 squads of Havocs (so many plasma cannons...) would be able to deal severe damage if you had a whole bunch of marines to soak up destroyers.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 19 May 2003, 18:52

2 defilers?!!!! I've just seen them in this months White Dwarf and they look nasty :D
But if an Iron Warriors army can take out Necrons, I can see Orks severly struggling :D

Mirridi

Postby Mirridi at 12 Jun 2003, 19:36

Been away.
Yup. Defiler. 72" Indirect. Barrage.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 13 Jun 2003, 09:45

Ouch! Glad I'm not likely to be facing one of those for a while. They could be useful in the 'bring-and-battles' in the GW shops :D

omegoku

Postby omegoku at 21 May 2005, 21:40

close combat.. necrons are slow and you should easily outnumber them.. get into combat as fast as possible, try taking down a few of them with massed big shoota fire. necrons can kill anything with there guns, but they have initiatve 1 or 2 and have only 1 attack, plus power claws wont let them get back up.. ignore the monoliths, and anything that isnt a necron.. its easy to wipe them out when you know how..

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 23 May 2005, 21:43

Its a good job Orks excel at combat then :)
I'll keep this as a tip for the future though - I never got back into the gaming before I moved down south on my years Industrial Experience. Going to hopefully get back into it again in or after summer, when I'm living in Manchester cuty center :)

omegoku

Postby omegoku at 24 May 2005, 21:14

good luck, youll need it if you get near those monoliths..

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 26 May 2005, 19:16

If I ever play against Necorns :D no doubt when I first get back into it I'll get slaughtered half way to the Eye of Terror and back!