IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: Rollcall Will Return!

Postby IBBoard at 20 Dec 2002, 23:43

After GW told me to remove Rollcall due to Intellectual Property Rights infringement, I've eventually found out what they will allow and some time soon the Rollcall files will return to ClanBertram, in a modified form :)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 04 Jan 2003, 14:17

Arrrggghhh, bit of a longer job than i anticipated - especially with the bit where there are 52 Rollcall ADF files!!!!
Oh well, Rollcall will return this weekend (hoepfully :)) now fully legal
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Asdrubael Vect

Postby Asdrubael Vect at 04 Jan 2003, 16:38

just out of interest, what was the problem you had with it (or rather the problems GW had with it)

Warmaster Horus

Postby Warmaster Horus at 04 Jan 2003, 16:48

they didnt like it cos basicly if u got an adf u dont need to buy a codex

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 04 Jan 2003, 22:26

Yeah, thats right - damned capitalists :D
but I've still got copies of the original ones that were on the website cos I gave them two ideas of what I could use to allow me to have the ADFs online
One was to really remove everything, and this is what their conditions seemed to point to me having to do - so thats what I'm doing :)
The second was to implement a script that checked the ISBN on the book so that people could only d/l the ADF file if they had the book and could type in the ISBN (it isn't _anywhere_ on the net - not even in the GW store). I ain't got any reply back regarding that idea, but the email was sent over the Christmas persiod, so I'm giving them a few more days and then asking again :)

Asdrubael Vect

Postby Asdrubael Vect at 04 Jan 2003, 23:26

somehow I doubt they will allow it lol... as the problem being people will begin to share the numbers out... wihout a registered log on (with only one nmber per username)... then it would be pretty easy to ignore the restrictions you put up...

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 04 Jan 2003, 23:35

well they are allowing Rollcall to continue - I'm just trying to see what I can get out as the best position for it
But I don't see any flaws in the ISBN idea - people must have access to the ISBNs from somewhere. The only place to get an ISBN is from the back of the book. If someone can get the ISBN either they have the book, in which case GW shouldn't mind all that much (no devaluing of codex) or else a friend has the book, in which case they would be sharing the thing in real life anyway.
And if anyone downloads and then shares them somewhere else without the restrictions, then they'll get caught and pulled up by the GW legal team like I did

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 05 Feb 2003, 19:46

Arrrggghhh, *insert expletives here* legal departments. :angry:
So much for Rollcall returning. Now that I have done exactly what they told me, and the files meet every restriction that they have given me, the GW legal team have turned round and said that my ADF files still breech their IP policy! :angry: wtf do you have to do to keep a legal team happy? :angry: