IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: New Program By Me

Postby IBBoard at 22 Jul 2002, 21:25

I am working on a program called Rollcall at the moment - trying to modify it. The program lets you create armies by just clicking on the unit and equipment - in the style of a normal Micro$oft program. I am making two modified programs - one that can hopefully cope with all of the WH6thEd restrictions and one that can cope with all of the WH40K3rd restrictions. More news as I work :)
The programs will be available for download on http://www.clan-bertram.co.uk - the unmodified by me version is currently available on there in the "Extra Bits" section.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Bap

Postby Bap at 23 Jul 2002, 12:25

What about a Mordeheim one??

Bap

Postby Bap at 23 Jul 2002, 14:18

Hey how about you try making one of those multiple answer thing's which could tell you what army you would best be in??
That would be awesome :)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 26 Jul 2002, 19:08

Mordheim - Either a) no, it would be more bother than its worth because of the small size of the warbands and the faff of experience or b ) there are Mordheim ADF files out there already which just use the existing program structure.
And the multiple choice thing - either a) no, I can't be bothered because I am working on Rollcall and the message board or b ) no because I don't have a clue how the hell to do it. Come up with all of the questions and how they would bias the answers and I might think about it.

<!--EDIT|The Emperor|Jul 26 2002, 08:16 PM-->
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Asdrubael Vect

Postby Asdrubael Vect at 10 Aug 2002, 21:14

I have started a similar project for my Computing Project at school, what are you writing it in?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 11 Aug 2002, 15:07

Its in Visual Basic - I know a bit of VB from using VBA in MS Access, but the rest of it is easy enough to pick up as you go along. Its quite an old program, and it uses an INI style file to store the armies in. Its amazing how many restrictions are covered so easily, but there were still a few missing from the newest version of WH and a lot missing from the newest version of 40K, so I'm working on modifications (slowly :D)

Asdrubael Vect

Postby Asdrubael Vect at 11 Aug 2002, 20:25

snap lol, I'm doing mine in visual basic, and its gonna be a bit of a beast when done, it'll be more interactive, by asking who you're fighting against, and points values, it will generate a model army based on the models/units you own, that you can change, as well as providing tactics, all i have to do is make a scaled down version featuring 3 races and, limit to only a maximum of 2 opponenets, but when its marked I'm gonna expand it further. It also can be updated with patches when new armies/models are released. I only just started and have a lot to do, one thing I need to check, (that no one has answered me yet - not even my local stores) is I wont be breaking any laws as long as I acknolwldege the copyrights in a "readme" file, and not make any money off it (plus it is for college work lol!)

*ps unless you can't tell, I can write programs lol, just not exactly a legal expert lol!

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 12 Aug 2002, 18:22

If you live in America, copying the content of the Codex/Armies book is technically breaching copyright, as you are copying copyrighted material (or so I gather from American sites). In the UK you should be fine because you can copy upto about 20% of a book. If you want to distribute it, its best to say something like "you can only d/l this if you have the codex/Armies Book for the races involved". Although considering you can personally copy your stats onto a roster sheet legally, I don't think there should be any problems at all, but there you go. The best way is to put in a legal disclaimer - it usually works. Check out the GW legal page for a full disclaimer - its what they recomment people use on Websites, so it should apply just as much to programmes. But Rollcall has been around for ages and seems quite popular. AFAIK it hasn't had any legal problems, so I doubt a Computing project will.
(Legal Pages - http://www.games-workshop.com/Legal/legal.htm and all of the sub-links off that page)

Asdrubael Vect

Postby Asdrubael Vect at 12 Aug 2002, 18:30

I actually e-mailed and rang them, they said theyd get back to me and never did lol, so I guess its time to try again lol

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 12 Aug 2002, 18:51

I emailed them about creating icons for people's desktops to go with the backgrouns that they were releasing, and they were fairly quick to turn around and tell me that I couldn't because the images were copyright of the artist - even though I said I would state that. Then again, they also said that they were looking into ways of implementing the idea.

Warmaster Horus

Postby Warmaster Horus at 12 Aug 2002, 19:00

Asdrubael Vect wrote:snap lol, I'm doing mine in visual basic, and its gonna be a bit of a beast when done, it'll be more interactive, by asking who you're fighting against, and points values, it will generate a model army based on the models/units you own, that you can change, as well as providing tactics, all i have to do is make a scaled down version featuring 3 races and, limit to only a maximum of 2 opponenets, but when its marked I'm gonna expand it further. It also can be updated with patches when new armies/models are released. I only just started and have a lot to do, one thing I need to check, (that no one has answered me yet - not even my local stores) is I wont be breaking any laws as long as I acknolwldege the copyrights in a "readme" file, and not make any money off it (plus it is for college work lol!)

*ps unless you can't tell, I can write programs lol, just not exactly a legal expert lol!

come again? that will be a hard program to write! (impossible for me, i wouldnt have a clue)

Asdrubael Vect

Postby Asdrubael Vect at 13 Aug 2002, 20:29

it wont be too difficult, I have a basic version written in (and I appologise now) Turbo Pascal (yay no standard mouse option lol!). It sounds a lot more impressive than it is, quite alot will be predefined.

Basically, you have to enter in what models you have when you run the program (and then save them for later). Then you type in points value, click on who you're fighting against. As I assume you know, certain armies have their weaknesses, that other units expolit. Eg. If you load my Dark Eldar Army, and then say you're fighting say Imperial Guard, then you can more or less count on facing some big tanks. So it will add all Dark Eldar units with Dark Lances (a very good tank killing weapon). Then an HQ unit, then a Troops units, then Heavy Support (assuming its available), then Fast Attck (again assuming its available). It will then cut down some from each until it falls to within the designated points value, by removing certain models (It is not a perfect system by far). This is where the user takes over and then can start messing with and customising the army.

Along the bottom there will be suggestions eg "Make sure you have Dark Lances and..." etc. unique for each race. This is why I'm only doing it for two or three races for now, as just testing it in Pascal took me a hell of a long time to do the basic army picking.

This is going to be a mamouth task but I will finish. I allready have a basic calculator written in Visual Basic (not quite as pretty as some of the others lol). I will actually need help from as many different sources, which I hope you lot can help me with lol, which I will post about a little later, once I get the basics coded...

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 14 Oct 2002, 17:25

I really have got to get around to doing some more work on that project of mine :D I started tweaking the forums and writing hacks while learning PHP on-the-fly and never got round to working on Rollcall again.
But we are currently learning Java at Uni, so I'll have to try to remember all of my Visual Basic stuff again :)

And how did your program go in the end?