Another new guy, looking for info

Sevish885
1st Year Cadet
1st Year Cadet
Progress to next rank:

40%

Another new guy, looking for info

Postby Sevish885 at 07 Sep 2011, 12:26

Hi all. I'm yet another new guy on here, I used to play 40K (2nd ed,) Gorkamorka, Necromunda, Inquisitor, Talisman, Space Hulk, Space Crusade and many other odds and sods.
I'm now down to playing the rare game of 40K but keep my interest alive with the novels, mostly Dan Abnett's series of GG's, Eisenhorn, Ravenor and am eagerly awaiting the Bequin series.
I have actually come here looking for information for my Mum though. She bought the original Praetorian guard XXIV ltd edition box set years ago with the intention of giving it to me at some point, but as we've seen how much the individual models selling for on Ebay, we're wondering whether to sell it insted. It's still in it's cellophane wrapping and has been sat in a cupboard for years. So basically we're wondering what it's worth and if there's any interest in it. Any advice or even offers are welcome - photos available on request.

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Re: Another new guy, looking for info

Postby snowblizz at 07 Sep 2011, 13:28

Oooh, that's pretty darned cool. If I hadn't such a pile o plastic sitting behind me...
Looking at GW's pages the closest thing, Mordians (which Praetorians were originally converted from), would for the amount of figs run around £100. You would probably get a bit more because it's Praetorians. Hard to say for sure as eg putting them on eBay can be very hit and miss.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 07 Sep 2011, 18:28

I think I might disband this Newbie forum - people keep posting GW-related questions in it rather than "I'm new to the forums and don't understand how it works" questions :D

I was thinking £100 was a bit steep (although I've got the Everqueen and her hand maidens and I know they go for a reasonable amount each), but then I looked it up. Given the amount of models and their age then it should do quite well, especially if it is still shrink wrapped :)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Postby snowblizz at 07 Sep 2011, 20:06

IBBoard wrote:I was thinking £100 was a bit steep

No kidding, but buying similar stuff from GW will cost you at least that much. And that's not even the "rare" Praetorians. I literally looked through GW's pages to see where the actual stuff lies in price and counted it up. So and so many heavy weapon teams, so many guys, etc etc

This stuff has become crazy expensive over the years!

Sevish885
1st Year Cadet
1st Year Cadet
Progress to next rank:

40%

Postby Sevish885 at 07 Sep 2011, 22:07

Sorry if it is a little off topic for the newbie zone, I'll keep anything else to the right areas. Thanks for the advice so far though guys

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 08 Sep 2011, 19:01

No problem with being off-topic - I think people just misunderstood my intent for the forum :)

As for prices, yeah, they are getting crazy. Not sure if I could afford to get back into it even if I wanted to (and that's after I've been working for over five years instead of being a student!). On the plus side, I've still got a lot of my last purchase to paint up :)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)