IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

FS: Lots of White Dwarf magazines and Fighting Fantasy books

Postby IBBoard at 03 Jan 2011, 15:09

I'm looking to sell my White Dwarf magazines - not just the duplicates (which I've already hung on to for years) but all of them. That's my entire range from the time I had a subscription (issue 177 through to something around issue 360) plus the 50+ back issues from before that date (including one that is as old as I am!), plus the 50 or so duplicates that I own.

I've not got all of them with me, only about the last five year's worth* plus the stack of duplicates that I've been meaning to sell for the past three years or so, but they'll all go in the end when I get hold of them. Coverage is basically anything from 40K 1st edition through to the latest editions, plus WHFRP, D&D, Traveller and whatever all else they put in the really old mags.

On top of all that then I've got about 50 or 60 of the original Fighting Fantasy books by Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson (I thought I had 49 and the 50th was never published, but it turns out they did 50 then planned another 10 but only published 9, so I might have 59 or I might be missing Return to Firetop Mountain). There are also some duplicates, plus (IIRC) Sourcery! and one or two of the other side books. I need to dig them out and check the details.

If you're willing to pay postage then I'm willing to ship them to most places. Alternatively, does anyone know of any good places (other than eBay) where I might be able to sell them? I'm looking at warhammer.org.uk and will put up a post soon, but does anyone frequent any other forums that have sales sections where I'd have a targeted audience?

* Boring detail: They were stored at my parents's house, then I moved out to Uni and the old mags stayed at home but the new mags were collected in my flat, then I got a job and the old mags still stayed at home and the new mags continued to be collected in my flat, then I bought a house and the old mags *still* stayed at home and the new mags still continued to be collected in my flat, and all the time my mum said "we'll bring them down when you've got space for them". Only, you never have space in a 2-bed terrace with a toddler and a wife who doesn't like clutter, so the old ones are still at my parents - who have moved house and were kind enough to move the magazines as well!
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: FS: Lots of White Dwarf magazines and Fighting Fantasy b

Postby IBBoard at 26 Jan 2011, 19:39

My parents delivered them a couple of weekends ago - at least we thought they'd delivered all of the magazines. It turns out we're missing some! Probably about three box files of mags, which would be in the region of about 50. As it is then the wife was annoyed/bemused that I had 218 without duplicates, plus another 30+ duplicates :D

If you want to know what 200+ WD mags from the 80s onwards looks like then wonder no longer. It looks like this:
Now I just need to empty out the dinning room for a while and lay them all out on the floor...after I've got the remaining mags from my parents in two week's time, of course :D
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Postby snowblizz at 26 Jan 2011, 20:35

IBBoard wrote:Now I just need to empty out the dinning room for a while and lay them all out on the floor...

Prepare for that bemused to turn into "throwing the good china"-annoyed. :P :P :P

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 27 Jan 2011, 20:01

LOL, I think she just thinks I'm crazy/geeky for that point :D The problem is that a 2 year old won't cooperate with the idea, so I need to do it while he naps, only that is one of the times I get to work on things at the weekend!

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 13 Feb 2011, 15:02

Okay, so I finally got the rest of the mags and had a chance to lay them all out. Unfortunately, it appears I'm still missing some (~15, I think), but my parents couldn't find them in with the rest of them.

Here's a full lay-down of all of the WD and other GW mags I have:

From the second row down then they're a year across in a row. WD177 was the first one I bought, and anything before that is a back catalogue I've built up. On top of all those then I've got about 70 duplicates, I think :shock: Maybe the wife is right. Maybe I do have too many mags :\

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Postby snowblizz at 13 Feb 2011, 19:19

Meh, clearly the wife doesn't know what she's talking about. Tell her that. I'm not scared. Well, much.

That's a very impressive collection, admittedly down at the club ours is cooler (and that's really the "club guy's" own) and larger. But he doesn't have to keep at his place.

From somewhere in the second hundreds we have a complete collection. And almost all old armybooks, codexes and stuff. Rules for all Warhammer editions even. All kinds of fun stuff the guy found on eBay, before he maxed out his creditcard and wasn't keeping up with the payments at least. He was a bit surprised how inflexible they were. Everyone else he's ever had to work with has been a bit flexible with payments. Not the credit card company though. The bastards. :P :lol:

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 13 Feb 2011, 19:44

The wife is threatening to recycle them if they don't sell :\ As for continuity, I should have had a continuous run from ~130, but I don't know where some of the late-200s went :( That photo was the 234 unique issues, plus the other mags, and then I've got a further 73 duplicates. That's over 300 WDs, and some from the very early 90s that are in surprisingly great condition!

In terms of rules then I've got 1st through 4th Ed 40K, and 4th Ed WH, but not many more. I've got a few different codex books (2nd Ed) and armies books (4th Ed), but I'm keeping all of those (for now, at least).

Now to see if they'll sell, and how much for. Hopefully I can tap into the big forums as well, but I don't know how much they'll just see it as spamming (although it's their own fault if they make a "marketplace" forum ;) )

I did have a vague idea of scanning them, OCRing them and storing them digitally, but given the effort it took to even just photograph them then I don't think it'd be feasible without something like this!

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Postby snowblizz at 15 Feb 2011, 15:58

TBQH, I doubt if you'll get much for 'em. Shipping is going to be a real killer.

GW trashing WD has sorta reduced the value of the back collections. People who'd be interested likely have them already, or at best need a few, and most of the gamers right now have barely heard of WD let alone need to have them all.

In our gaming group only a handfull even realises how impressive our collection of material is let alone use it. Though people manage to loose stuff somehow anyway.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 15 Feb 2011, 19:18

Yeah, I doubt it'll make much, but it is worth a go as anything is better than nothing. If it doesn't sell then I'll batch it and see if it does any better. Some people are really pushing the boat out with some of the prices they're trying for, though!