Briggsy
Standard Member
Standard Member
Progress to next rank:

21%

Time of Legends Novels....

Postby Briggsy at 30 Nov 2010, 14:44

Hi All,

Anyone know that order in which the above novels should be read?

Thanks

Does it start with HeldenHammer?

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Re: Time of Legends Novels....

Postby snowblizz at 30 Nov 2010, 15:27

They do not have an order in the same way Horus Heresy novels do.

Eg Heldenhammer is the first book in the Sigmar trilogy, just as Malekith is the first in the Sundering trilogy and so on.

I don't know if they've even got to part 2s on any though I seem to recall Sigmar having been continued.

I've read Heldenhammer and Nagash the Sorceror and these have absolutely nothing to do with each other. At least yet, it'll take a couple of thousand years for Nagash to get to Sigmar's time but they od meet IIRC.

Briggsy
Standard Member
Standard Member
Progress to next rank:

21%

Postby Briggsy at 30 Nov 2010, 16:09

Thanks again for the post....

I love WH fb, can you recommend some really excellent novels?

Thanks

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Postby snowblizz at 30 Nov 2010, 16:51

The Gotrek and Felix novels. Conveniently available in omnibuses.
The Vampire Wars omnibus wasn't bad either.
And people say good things about the Malus Darkblade books.
I mainly read 40k novels though I must admit. And I tend to wait until they are available in omnibus form. Much more economical that way.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 30 Nov 2010, 20:03

There's an approximate history/chronology order of the various characters. I don't know what it is, but it isn't important as there isn't the overlap of story lines. "Time of Legends" is just an overarching title for all "background to the races" books as opposed to, say, the Gotrek and Felix saga being an interlinked saga about specific characters. As long as you read each mini-series (trilogy, normally) in order then it doesn't matter what order you read the Sigmar/Sundering/Nagash series in.

There's definitely a second Sigmar one (Heldenhammer and Empire) and two Sundering ones (Malekith and Shadow King) as I've got both of them and read the first of each. It looks like God King is the next Sigmar one and it is on pre-order now.

In terms of other novels, I'd recommend the Gotrek and Felix ones as well - even the later ones by Nathan Long. I thought that the real-world time gap and the change of author might ruin the series, but the first Nathan Long one was good and I've got the second one to read as well (so many books to read!)

Personally, I play 40K but prefer the WH novels (apart from the more human-oriented ones, like Eisenhorn and Ravenor). Most of the 40K ones just don't grab me because they're a bit too unbelievable and the authors tend to ruin the story by trying to describe the futuristicness of it all. That said, I'm reading the "Let the Galaxy Burn" anthology and there have been a few good books in there.

Other than that then I personally enjoyed the Genevieve novels and the Orfeo trilogy (Zaragoz/Plague Daemons/Storm Warriors). They're both slightly older now and written by some of the authors from the 90s, but I enjoy the style of both Brian Craig and Jack Yeovil (including their Dark Future work).
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Briggsy
Standard Member
Standard Member
Progress to next rank:

21%

Postby Briggsy at 30 Nov 2010, 21:58

Thanks mate, thats a great help.

Well I've read the battle for skull pass and the Island of Blood novels so far. I have also brought Heldenhammer & Empire (Sigmar trilogy) and I brought a novel called Warrior Priest.

I think I will buy the Gotrek and Felix novels next.

Thanks