Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: 40K 2nd Vs 40K 3rd

Postby IBBoard at 14 Feb 2005, 20:32

any reasons? or just 'because'? :)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Librarian Rannos

Postby Librarian Rannos at 18 May 2005, 16:24

The 3rd 'cause I don't know the 2nd... :D

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 18 May 2005, 18:08

Fair enough :D
and I think for all future answers, 3rd and 4th can be considered as one - GW consider it more of an update than a new version (from comments in WD)
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Space marine

Postby Space marine at 12 Apr 2006, 16:14

Dunno, I think ( I might be wrong ) that you can do something where you do a mis-roll, and the ork vehicle crashes straight into a wall. Irritating, but funny! :lol: This was then removed in the 3rd edition, coz loads of Orks kept getting killed this way, so the rules for Ork trukks were changed.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 12 Apr 2006, 17:53

No, it's still there - you test at the start of each turn for looted vehicles and if you fail the test you roll on a table. Roll a 1 (I think) and you get "Don't press that...WAAAGGGHHHH!" and the vehicle lurches forwards 12" (or something) and plows through anything it it's path. It'd be a good thing for it to be removed from something as basic as Trukks, though.

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

Postby Simguinus at 17 Jun 2006, 12:12

Nah. Anything which kills orks by randomness must be good. :P

I stand on the 3rd Ed over 2nd ed side of this discussion. At least with 3rd Ed you don't need to gather every die type under the sun just to roll a conversion beamer's AP. And the move, shoot, then assault rule? Makes Assault Troops for all armies actually worth having, and finally makes jump troops tactically flexible.
Ego Ordinis Mallei Inquisitor, per auctoritate Digamma, Decimatio, Duodecies, ultimum exterminatum planetae [insert here] cum extrema celeritate impero.

(roughly; 'I, Ordo Malleus Inquisitor, hereby authorise Death, Destruction, Doom, the total extermination of the planet "blah" with the most extreme and imperative speed.')

In a galaxy of a million worlds, what does the death of one matter?

Simguinus, Chief Historitor

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/catalog/p ... e_id=66353

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 17 Jun 2006, 14:02

Yeah, 3rd/4th does seem to have the ease and tactical advantage over 2nd. It also has far less random tables, and armour saves/modifiers are very very marginally easier (and possibly more realistic, I'm not sure).

Thinking about it, Ork Lootas can still kill each other if they roll a 1 to hit. It's even more disasterous if you do as I did and give one of them a Plasma Cannon - Loota's "Oooops, sorry mate" rule and plasma overload combined :D

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

Postby Simguinus at 17 Jun 2006, 20:46

3rd Ed gives you a system which only actually requires 1 book to play a game, and that game has a chance of being over in an afternoon. 2nd ed had a rulebook, Wargear, Codex: X, wargear cards, Dark Millenium (aargh! :shock: ) and sometimes it would take fifteen minutes to track down a particular rule, nevermind implement it.

I know a lot of folk who don't like the new vehicle rules. And who believe that flavour has been lost without many of the charts and rolls and stuff. Personally, I can live without the Hallucinogen Grenade Effect Table - how many people ever bought Hallucinogen Grenades more than twice? (if that). The loss of all this fluff is worth it just for above-mentioned rule. Which means close combat might actually happen sometimes, and not just between uber-God characters. :)
Ego Ordinis Mallei Inquisitor, per auctoritate Digamma, Decimatio, Duodecies, ultimum exterminatum planetae [insert here] cum extrema celeritate impero.

(roughly; 'I, Ordo Malleus Inquisitor, hereby authorise Death, Destruction, Doom, the total extermination of the planet "blah" with the most extreme and imperative speed.')

In a galaxy of a million worlds, what does the death of one matter?

Simguinus, Chief Historitor

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/catalog/p ... e_id=66353

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 17 Jun 2006, 22:02

Although, strangely, the three 2nd Ed rulebooks combined are thinner than the 3rd Ed ;) But yeah, the random expansions, cards, tables and everything else did complicate it.

Some of the old 2nd Ed equipment may have been characterful, but then again I forget about equipment I've bought as it is without having some random obscure stuff as well :D plus a good proportion of players are Marines or similar, and so they have re-breathers that tended to discount the effects of things like Hallucinogenic Grenades!

I think the flavour loss that there has been (like Ork hop-splat guns and other assorted tables being ditched) is, overall, a good thing because they've still managed to keep the character in some simpler and more streamlined ways.

Previous