Have I been in stasis? (GW 'straight-to-disk' movie)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Have I been in stasis? (GW 'straight-to-disk' movie)

Postby IBBoard at 26 Jan 2010, 19:51

I got the new White Dwarf yesterday and saw a little Ultramarines logo. I thought it was going to be some naff little game on the PSP again (can't remember what it was called), but according to their words I must have "been in stasis" as I managed to miss (until now) the fact that there is going to be a "direct to DVD" movie based on the Space Marines.

My initial thoughts are: 1) When did they first announce that? 2) Did I read the first announcement and just go "meh, sounds like it is GW cashing in on things again - lets see how it goes" before forgetting it? 3) I wonder how good it'll be and 4) I wonder how it'll compare to that fan film that GW blocked before it was released?
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Re: Have I been in stasis? (GW 'straight-to-disk' movie)

Postby snowblizz at 26 Jan 2010, 21:48

Yup. Need to get with the program. It was mentioned on Gamesday last year I think. Gonna be animated. Most people I know reacted like "umm.. ok, see I wanna think it'll be cool, but with GW's track record..."

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 27 Jan 2010, 12:50

Games Day? Can't afford those things ;) (plus the wife wouldn't want to be left alone for the day just so I can travel to some silly convention :D)

It could be done very well - the little bits of movie I've seen in the Final Liberation game were obviously not huge budget, but they did get quite a good feel and style. Trying to get a full "archaic but with super technology" feel for all of the visuals needed in a movie will be quite difficult, and I agree that GW may not be the best ones to do it.

Lets wait and see...
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

NBKFuzzy
Standard Member
Standard Member
Progress to next rank:

68%

Postby NBKFuzzy at 27 Jan 2010, 21:34

I smell fail.
My muse is a fickle bitch, with a short attention span.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 29 Jan 2010, 19:06

Short, sweet, to the point, and potentially quite accurate :D

F1rstborn
1st Year Cadet
1st Year Cadet
Progress to next rank:

80%

Postby F1rstborn at 03 Mar 2010, 11:11

I have a bit of mixed feelings about it...
I'm guessing the movie will pretty much be the classic SM vs orks or chaos... What would be really good is a movie about a space hulk but anyway-
If they try and do eldar for the big screen i think they will fail and end up with space age wood elves with funny accents.
And of course the SM will be painted as the great heroes...the protagonists standing against the universe and beyond.
Other than that they probably could make a good movie out of it

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 03 Mar 2010, 19:31

You could potentially make a good movie out of it, but you could equally well end up with a horrible and cheesy movie out of it. Given that a) it is GW and b) it is called "Ultramarines" then I'd say it is basically certain that the Marines are the "great heroes" - it's how the majority of the fluff goes, especially from humanity's point of view.

carbon
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

2%

Postby carbon at 20 Oct 2010, 10:58

Have you seen the new Ultramarines Movie Trailer.

It's so much better than the last one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vF_VLZotWc

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 20 Oct 2010, 18:09

Not bad, and better than the first trailer, but I'm still not hugely enticed. Some bits looked a bit too much like DoW2 but as a movie. The lip sync was out in places, and some of the actions didn't seem very "Marine-y". Throwing an axe so that you've lost it if you miss? Really?

We'll see how it goes when it gets released. Unfortunately I'm not sure I'll get it if it is a "collectors edition" for "a limited period" (i.e. we'll artificially inflate the price and justify it by saying we won't make more).