IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

New Beastmen models

Postby IBBoard at 09 Jan 2010, 14:02

As well as the "big models" that got mentioned previously, GW are bringing out a whole new range of Beastmen. I'm not a Beastman player and wouldn't bother with an army, but I had a look anyway.

The new Ungors look a little tougher than the old Pan-like things, although they do keep the slightly more human/imp-like appearance rather than the full bestial form of Gors. There's also some new Minotaurs, which I'm really unsure of. Yes, they're big, brutal and muscled, but there is something about the muscle structure that puts me more in mind of an Undead army than beasts corrupted by Chaos :\
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Re: New Beastmen models

Postby snowblizz at 09 Jan 2010, 20:04

*I* am a Beast player and at THOSE prices I'm not looking to add any of their fugly new models. Pumbagor anyone (that is what we've dubbed the Razorgor, seriously what were they smoking).

I don't like the ungor heads though. There's just something of with them. I preferred the old "impish" look over the bearded satyrs.

People say the minos are really suffering from the paint-job (smart marketing move there), they are a little better in the plastics. But still not impressed with the steroid rats.

And don't get me started on moving Ungors to smaller bases than the old models. We are not amused.

The rules themselves might be a slight improvement though they destroy what many considered to be the important feel of Beasts. Seriously the children of Chaos have no marks.

I actually yesterday played a game vs a guy using an army that to 70-80% will be gone in the new armybook. I'm going to amuse myself with putting large red Xs on the units that are gone in the pictures.

NBKFuzzy
Standard Member
Standard Member
Progress to next rank:

68%

Postby NBKFuzzy at 09 Jan 2010, 20:49

Those are some rather hairless beastmen.
My muse is a fickle bitch, with a short attention span.

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Postby snowblizz at 09 Jan 2010, 23:33

NBKFuzzy wrote:Those are some rather hairless beastmen.

Its late here so if the following joke doesn't take I'll blame it on that.

Considering they are rubbing shoulders with Razorgors it isn't surprising how hairless they are nowadays...
Anyone? No?

I'll get my coat.

furrie
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

60%

Postby furrie at 10 Jan 2010, 12:06

Personally I don't realy like the new models, the have to less hair. The Razorgor is just plain ugle, if the Razorgor is any good I will buy some boars and convert them. The minos could work with a little greenstuff I think. And of course the rebasing of the ungors, what kind of morrons are working at GW all beastmen players (like me) will probably glued them to there base. Splitting the beast herd in two units is another thing I don't like about the new book, now I will have a gor herd with 2 command groups and one ungor herd without command group.
warhammer fantasy/40K player
the WarFoundry datafile group

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 10 Jan 2010, 20:13

I saw the razorgor as well, but didn't want to comment on the one "bug-eye" that they seemed to have given it. I do like the name "Pumbagor" though :D

Part of the problem with the minotaurs probably is the lack of hair, and the paint job doesn't help by emphasising the muscle so much. Not sure if it is what you meant, snowblizz, but I did think that the minotaurs looked a bit more rat or other-animal like - a bit more like the Rat Ogres, which are pumped-up experiments on the Skaven equivalent to steroids, rather than excessively muscular man-beast-monsters!

I'm not sure where I'd sit on the Chaos Marks issue. To be honest it might be a good thing, as they did always strike me as more of a "herd worshipping Chaos Undivided" rabble/horde rather than organised groups with particular allegiances. By removing Marks from the beasts it gets you to more of a distinct "corrupt beast-man hybrids" army rather than "slightly more bestial marauders".
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Gothor01
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

4%

Postby Gothor01 at 21 Jan 2010, 15:56

Hey, I'm kind of new to the fantasy battles, and I have to disagree with most of you. I've used some of the new beastmen rules and models and they are awesome! The Gors are quite resiliant and held off Orcs in combat, whereas the new Minotaurs rip through armies like a hot knife through butter...

I cant wait to use more of the models, especially looking forward to using the spell which turns all the mounts of the enemies models turn on them!

Have to agree with the Ungor comments though, they do look awful, but they're cheap and can be used as raiders with bows... Next wave looks even more interesting too!

NBKFuzzy
Standard Member
Standard Member
Progress to next rank:

68%

Postby NBKFuzzy at 21 Jan 2010, 20:47

If you don't mind a quick shave.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 23 Jan 2010, 09:38

Gothor, have you seen the older models? (The ones where a Minotaur looked like a large, scary, shaggy beast rather than some kind of bald rat) The new rules might be okay, but I've only seen the models and they just don't quite look right. Beastmen should be making people cower in terror at horrible man-beast hybrids, not making them laugh at bug-eyed boars!

NBKFuzzy
Standard Member
Standard Member
Progress to next rank:

68%

Postby NBKFuzzy at 23 Jan 2010, 21:15

That link to bald rat is incredibly random.

Gothor01
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

4%

Postby Gothor01 at 23 Jan 2010, 23:01

I've seen most of the older models, and in my opinion, they're nothing compared to the new ones. The new Minotaur heard for example looks like a snarling cow... and to be honest I can't think of much scarier...

But by far my favourite has to be the new Doombull, the axe head alone is rumoured to be the same size as a Goblin model, and to me, thats freakin' awesome!

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 25 Jan 2010, 19:28

The Doombull doesn't look that bad, because he has hair or armour. I think it is the sheer baldness of them that just makes them look so silly. When was the last time you saw a cow showing pale, pasty-pink human flesh with absolutely no fur at all? ;)

Also, if the new models are snarling cows then the older models were snarling bulls, which is at least more fitting and aggressive ;)

NBKFuzzy
Standard Member
Standard Member
Progress to next rank:

68%

Postby NBKFuzzy at 25 Jan 2010, 20:33

All opinions aside, everybody laughs at beastmen armies now due to their sillyness. Almost looks like they are creatures from Narnia.

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Postby snowblizz at 25 Jan 2010, 21:48

Someone posted this at the Herdstone. http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=PqbhboA
Pumbagors. I thought it was bad. I was wrong. It is worse. Much worse than I could have feared.
If these models are stock I can't even begin to comprehend the mind of a) the person who made them and b) the person who approved the design.
Edit: the pictured Pumbagors are conversions, based on the original, and shows up in the Feb. bat rep. So someone thought the bulging eye look was cool enough to make 3 different ones. :shock:

Now I've heard that the Minotaurs are better in the flesh (so to speak) than in GW's images. It is sad, Avatar of War has made a rocking Minotaur and GW makes Belgian Blue Rats. I've been throwing away money on GW on the strength of the model line. Now that's gone there's little else left.
Last edited by snowblizz on 26 Jan 2010, 14:08, edited 1 time in total.

furrie
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

60%

Postby furrie at 26 Jan 2010, 11:35

It looks better on this pic:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80208&d=1264489553, but still not realy my liking
warhammer fantasy/40K player
the WarFoundry datafile group

Next