IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Big models in 2010

Postby IBBoard at 25 Dec 2009, 13:27

Just got a Christmas email from GW with a link to some 2010 sneak peaks. The preview page has one model on from each game system. Looks like the Beastmen are getting something big, and the Orks either have a new dreadnought, a new Gargant or some different mega armour (depending on how zoomed in the photo is!)

Merry Christmas!
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

NBKFuzzy
Standard Member
Standard Member
Progress to next rank:

68%

Re: Big models in 2010

Postby NBKFuzzy at 26 Dec 2009, 03:41

New minotaur from chaos beasts, and looks like orks are getting what you said...... It could be a new warboss model, mega armor, dreadnought, or even a titan?

That witch king model from LotR looks sick.
My muse is a fickle bitch, with a short attention span.

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Postby snowblizz at 26 Dec 2009, 11:29

That Ork things I would say is definitely a Dreadnaught.
Orks don't have any decently sized titans to make anymore. Not in plastic. And the pictures shows a regular sized flamer at the edge. Not really shaped correctly for a boss or nobz. I've been waiting for plastic Dreads and hopefully Killakans for a while.
The Beast things is the new Doombull model.

stfas
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Progress to next rank:

85%

Postby stfas at 26 Dec 2009, 11:39

the ork model is an ork deff dread, atleast thats what it say when i hover my mouse over the image.

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Postby snowblizz at 26 Dec 2009, 18:06

stfas wrote:the ork model is an ork deff dread, atleast thats what it say when i hover my mouse over the image.

D'oh!
Good call. Someone already noted on the Herdstone that the Beastman is labelled as "Doombull" in the image file. I didn't think to check the same on the Ork model. But as I said I was pretty much certain it was one already.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 26 Dec 2009, 19:45

I thought I saw it say "Doombull" at some point, but then didn't see it when I was reviewing it before posting. I didn't bother hunting too hard, but I didn't think to mouse-over the images :D

Plastic Dreads would be interesting, although I'm not sure I like that teaser image as much as I like the current dreadnoughts. Still, if it is in plastic then GW might be able to sell it for at least a little less (assuming they don't go for the "well, it is plastic, but it has sharper detail and far more parts (that'll only ever end up in your bits box) so we'll charge about the same" approach).
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Postby snowblizz at 27 Dec 2009, 16:47

IBBoard wrote:Still, if it is in plastic then GW might be able to sell it for at least a little less (assuming they don't go for the "well, it is plastic, but it has sharper detail and far more parts (that'll only ever end up in your bits box) so we'll charge about the same" approach).

Yes, don't you love the idea that "well, a saving of $1 for plastics compared to metals, IS technically cheaper" mentality GW has been running these past years.

Some of the new Tyranid stuff is pretty competitively priced though.

But the new plastics in the historical scene is really showing off GW. 1/3 the price, not that much less quality than some GW kits.
A lot of the vets I know are starting to look at the historical plastics instead.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 28 Dec 2009, 19:46

They did used to be better quality models (GW vs others) but I had noticed that some of the other game systems were catching up fast on quality. Given that places like Wayland Games can offer up to a 40% discount and give people like me an affiliate fee and still make a profit, GW must surely be raking it in on the RRP. Maybe people will move if they see the huge difference in prices, although I imagine a lot of people are somewhat tied to the game, though.