Look what I found.

NBKFuzzy
Standard Member
Standard Member
Progress to next rank:

68%

Look what I found.

Postby NBKFuzzy at 14 Dec 2009, 00:06

Due to a non-working digital camera I cant take a picture, but I found it on the GW site.

I was literally walking down the "street" of my complex to the trash compactor and saw a few wooden boxes of mostly trash. One mans trash is another mans treasure, because I could help but see what the bright red item was.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... rod1170209

I don't play chaos daemons, but non the less that is a cool piece, that I will probably repaint. It looks to be metal and bought pre-painted, but I can take it apart and paint over it.

But really $30 40k miniature in the trash doesn't seem very much like what a person willing to spend that money would throw away in a crate of garbage. I am thinking angry wife or girlfriend.
My muse is a fickle bitch, with a short attention span.

NBKFuzzy
Standard Member
Standard Member
Progress to next rank:

68%

Re: Look what I found.

Postby NBKFuzzy at 14 Dec 2009, 00:16

As a rather interesting side post.... This reminded me of dawn of war 2 and I wanted to see if any more new on the expansion chaos rising had been released, and here I saw this
http://www.thq.com/uk/thqtv/index/5673?movieId=3695
And the little guy I found is indeed in the game. Weird? Yes, indeed it is.

From what I can tell in that video there is the new librarian hero for marines, genestealers for tyranids. If you see any new units in the video dont feel shy to post them here :D

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 14 Dec 2009, 19:31

I am thinking angry wife or girlfriend.

And I'm thinking angry gamer if he finds his girlfriend binned it and then it isn't there because someone took it :D I think it is quite a new model, so it is a bit odd to be thrown out already, especially on its own. It is a good job someone found it before it was compacted :)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

NBKFuzzy
Standard Member
Standard Member
Progress to next rank:

68%

Postby NBKFuzzy at 14 Dec 2009, 21:44

At first I thought it was a warhammer fantasy piece, I could tell it was warhammer from the bloodletter. there is no markings on the bottom of the base to the piece to the internet came to the rescue. And since it was to be compacted in 2 hours, I don't think he/she will ever know.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 15 Dec 2009, 12:48

It sounds like good timing if it was only a couple of hours away from 'death' in the compactor. Shame there wasn't more, really :D

The odd thing with daemons (possibly more in older versions of the games than newer ones) is that there was always a bit of a strange cross-over between the games. You get Bloodletters on Juggernauts in WH and 40K, but they only really made the slightly more mechanical 40K-style models, so you ended up with almost 'Steam Punk' daemons in Warhammer, riding mechanical daemon-machines while most other people were at the black powder stage :)
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

NBKFuzzy
Standard Member
Standard Member
Progress to next rank:

68%

Postby NBKFuzzy at 15 Dec 2009, 18:56

I never knew it was allowed in official rule set to cross pieces over, but it does make sense since the bloodletter doesn't change. I always have liked chaos marines and was looking into starting a daemon army (khorne of course) a while back, but got distracted by skaven from fantasy.

I heard the daemons were pretty broken, I have never seen anybody really play them, but the few who do where I play fair well, so it cant be too bad. However tempting tzneetch is, with this free khorne piece it might be irresitable!

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 15 Dec 2009, 19:14

Back in the 40K 1st Edition the "Realms of Chaos" books ("Slaves to Darkness" and "The Lost and the Damned") were for both systems, but that was the late 80s or early 90s when it was all still a bit more like an RPG on a larger scale. In general you can't cross models over, but the daemons are generally released as generic models that fit either system. The Empire models are getting a bit more Steampunk-ish, so it isn't exactly terrible if the daemons go a bit mechanical in their mounts :)

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Postby snowblizz at 15 Dec 2009, 20:11

Currently the Deamon models are exactly the same, as they ahve always been. The boxes just come with round and square bases. In fact last time I looked they had their own "logo", i.e. WHFB boxes have a Warhammer logo, 40k boxes have a Warhammer 40.000 logo. Deamons just said "Chaos".

As to what you can and can't cross over, that depends a bit. There's not a person on this earth that can say if you are using Orc or Ork models (without a very close study), they are purposefully made so actually. Usually they way it goes is that you take models from WHFB and add 40k weapons to them. That's the easy and most common way to cross over.
However I've seen some rather impressive WHFB armies made from 40k models. Often for Deamons though, as they lend themselves to "odder" appearances. And lack plastics kits.

To some extent 40k is more lenient, from a game-mechanics POV, so often you'd see Deamons with square bases in 40k. Round bases being somewhat impractical in WHFB.

Currently the Deamons of Chaos (WHFB) and Chaos Deamons (40k) armybook/codex is functionally identical. 40k have an additional Demaon enginge, the Soul Grinder but that's the only difference.
DoC are a freakishly good army, CD are much less so. The 40k version "suffers" somewhat form a random deployment rule which means you cna't really guarantee to get exactly the units you need onto the table.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 15 Dec 2009, 20:52

Usually they way it goes is that you take models from WHFB and add 40k weapons to them. That's the easy and most common way to cross over.

My Grots from Goblins being one example :) The Orks are quite similar to the Orcs as well, and I did swap a few bits with my brother (who collected WH Orcs) but there is generally just a bit more cloth on the WH Orcs and more metal plates on the 40K Orks.

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Postby snowblizz at 15 Dec 2009, 21:27

You know your Orks.
The ironic thing is that I've bought 4 boxes of the new Gretchin to get some heads to use in a conversion of Sneaky Gitz. And possibly for some fodder to hide Da Boyz behind in my Ork army.

NBKFuzzy
Standard Member
Standard Member
Progress to next rank:

68%

Postby NBKFuzzy at 16 Dec 2009, 06:36

I have seen people manage simply switching weapons and arms on ork/orc.

Once a guy's chaos lord model broke due to a plastic/metal piece issue and he glued a squig onto the base and used the rest of the game with that.

The squig won.