Blood Bowl Dark Elf Edition

NBKFuzzy
Standard Member
Standard Member
Progress to next rank:

68%

Blood Bowl Dark Elf Edition

Postby NBKFuzzy at 28 Nov 2009, 20:33

I don't have it. But I saw it on Steam that it just launched. I know blood bowl isnt that old but isnt that new either. Doesn't look at fun as the TT.
My muse is a fickle bitch, with a short attention span.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: Blood Bowl Dark Elf Edition

Postby IBBoard at 29 Nov 2009, 11:54

IIRC there's a "live action" mode (probably a bit like the Madden games, only with more pain) or a faithful recreation of the board game. I don't think it is that long since it was released, but why would that stop GW scraping a bit more money out of the game already and boosting sales by doing a special race edition? :) You never know, maybe it is just the standard Game of the Year Edition, but in a slightly different flavour.

I did have the old Chaos League games at one point, although I think I leant them to my brother and never got them back. Not that I've got time to play them, but I wonder where they got to...
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

NBKFuzzy
Standard Member
Standard Member
Progress to next rank:

68%

Postby NBKFuzzy at 29 Nov 2009, 23:34

I understand the new race, and actually its a free dlc so its not getting them any money. And everybody says the live action just sucks. As far as I can tell the normal turn based gameplay is a dead on remake of TT. Dice and all.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 30 Nov 2009, 13:03

From what I read that was intentional - they purposefully wanted to make "Bloodbowl the game, only virtual" rather than "something based roughly on Bloodbowl but not quite". I think they might be using 3rd Edition rules.

Interesting that the DLC is free. Good for the customers and a good way to reward those who don't pirate (if it has proper protection measures but not DRM on it), but not entirely expected. I didn't actually realise that Steam had the concept of "free".

*wonders how many races they're missing and how many DLCs would be needed...*
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

NBKFuzzy
Standard Member
Standard Member
Progress to next rank:

68%

Postby NBKFuzzy at 30 Nov 2009, 19:41

Yeah, its cool its a solid remake. If you like the TT you can play the game without paying for all the little pieces!

The main issue I see about the game is the single player system is horrible, since you have to play on "easy" difficulty, and its still really hard. Upping the difficulty doesnt increase the AI's intellegence, only makes theirs rolls all perfect. And even on easy they roll almost perfect each time. (where as for you it's pure luck)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 02 Dec 2009, 17:22

I always hate it when they put lots of effort in to a game but then let it down somewhere like that. AI is about the intelligence it shows in its choices, not about how perfect random chance comes out for it. I don't suppose it is even moddable so the community can fix it (not that I thought the DoW AI was broken, but Thudd and his team did a great job with an 'improved'/tougher AI for the experts).

Easy is what you're supposed to use when you want to beat it in the first game, or not have much of a challenge when trying new things. Normal is your everyday "I'm used to it, want a bit of a challenge but haven't mastered everything yet" level. Harder settings should then be the "I've learnt the game, now for the real challenge and more likelyhood that I might actually get beaten in a fair fight".